Quantcast

Peoples in Places tree view

Snen
Hi all, new user here.
If I make places tree view structure like for example:

USA
>Texas
   >Austin
   >Houston
>Utah

Should it work so, that upper branch shows always all lower branch people?
Usa shows all, Texas shows just both cities and so on...
If so, I am doing something wrong...

Re: Peoples in Places tree view

Dave Scheipers
Welcome Snen,

You have it correct.

Another way to think of it, as you will most often be dealing with the smallest locale is.... my locale is part of what next larger entity. This next larger entity goes into the "Enclosed by" tab. And that place can be the smaller place of another larger place... until you get to the country level.

Working down from Largest to smallest, in the Place Tree view, adding while on a record automatically adds that record into the "Enclosed by" tab.

In The U.S., most places will be
U.S. >> State >> County >> City/Town

You'll find that some states will have communities with the same name but different counties. Some states and counties will also add another layer called Township. I have found wikipedia as a good source and it includes the GPS if you enter that information.

I hope this helped, Dave

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Snen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all, new user here.
If I make places tree view structure like for example:

USA
>Texas
   >Austin
   >Houston
>Utah

Should it work so, that upper branch shows always all lower branch people?
Usa shows all, Texas shows just both cities and so on...
If so, I am doing something wrong...

Re: Peoples in Places tree view

Snen
Thanks Dave for the answer, I try to be clearer...
If someone who was born in Austin, I see him there in the references tab, but not anymore that he is born in Texas and US also in the places treeview....

I thought that tree should be working like this, what comes to the references.

Re: Peoples in Places tree view

Dave Scheipers
Correct.

In the case of places, the reference list will show which events and which other places are attached to it.

In the case of events, the reference list will show the people the event is attached to.

In your example, the event is attached to the person and the place "Austin" is attached to the event. If you look at Texas, you'll see Austin attached to it in it's reference list.

I think you have it. It's just a matter of understanding what the reference list is of. The reference list will show you the ID's of the records in the list. So in the case of Places, the reference list will be of events and other places.

I hope this helped and you're not more confused than ever. Dave