Person Event Filtering

Jim Winfrey
A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?

Jim

Re: Person Event Filtering

Benny Malengier
Please, post an issue on the bug tracker,
  http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_the_bug_tracker

I for one cannot reproduce it, so it will be needed that you load the test database data.gramps (distributed with gramps), and walk us through the issue using the test database.

Benny

2008/10/28 Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]>
A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?

Jim

Re: Person Event Filtering

Espen Berg-2
Hi Jim!
If I create a custom person filter to extract all persons born in
1900, I get what I want.  If I type 1900 in the birth entry in the
filter sidebar, it appears to me that I get the same result (as
intended).  I am therefore not able to reproduce your finding.  By the
way I use Linux, but that should not affect the output.

I suggest you to follow Benny's advice about the test database.

Espen

2008/10/28 Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]>:

> A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
> will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
> 1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
> field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
> but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
> running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
> is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?
>
> Jim

Re: Person Event Filtering

Douglas S. Blank
Jim,

A couple of notes:

- the "Birth date contains" (I believe) will treat the date as a string.
So it will look for the characters "1900".

- the "Birth date" field in the sidebar is a proper date entry field,
and allows any type of valid date format. For example, you can enter
"before 1900", "about 1900", "between 1895 and 1905", etc. You should
only get matches where those descriptions overlap. "1900" there should
give you people born in that year. (If you don't type a valid date, it
defaults to a string match like the above).

- there shouldn't be a difference between operating systems.

Please let us know if you find out what was wrong, or post a bug
otherwise. Thanks!

-Doug

Espen Berg wrote:

> Hi Jim!
> If I create a custom person filter to extract all persons born in
> 1900, I get what I want.  If I type 1900 in the birth entry in the
> filter sidebar, it appears to me that I get the same result (as
> intended).  I am therefore not able to reproduce your finding.  By the
> way I use Linux, but that should not affect the output.
>
> I suggest you to follow Benny's advice about the test database.
>

> Espen
>
> 2008/10/28 Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]>:
>> A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
>> will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
>> 1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
>> field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
>> but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
>> running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
>> is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?
>>
>> Jim

Re: Person Event Filtering

Peter Landgren
Jim,

> A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
> will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
> 1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
> field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
> but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
> running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
> is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?

I have tried this on my Windows box, but I get the same correct result with all three
possible methods.

/Peter

Re: Person Event Filtering

Tony Gordon
I just tried this on my database. I put 1980 in the People search bar
with 'Birth date contains' and I get 4 individuals. If I type 1980 in
the birth date of the filter side bar, I get 12 individuals, the
original 4 plus 8 others. All of the 8 others have a birth date 'after'
some date. These 8 are the only people in my database with an
'after ....' birth date. Maybe there is a link here.

I am using 3.0.3-1 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Tony

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:57 -0400, Douglas S. Blank wrote:

> Jim,
>
> A couple of notes:
>
> - the "Birth date contains" (I believe) will treat the date as a string.
> So it will look for the characters "1900".
>
> - the "Birth date" field in the sidebar is a proper date entry field,
> and allows any type of valid date format. For example, you can enter
> "before 1900", "about 1900", "between 1895 and 1905", etc. You should
> only get matches where those descriptions overlap. "1900" there should
> give you people born in that year. (If you don't type a valid date, it
> defaults to a string match like the above).
>
> - there shouldn't be a difference between operating systems.
>
> Please let us know if you find out what was wrong, or post a bug
> otherwise. Thanks!
>
> -Doug
>
> Espen Berg wrote:
> > Hi Jim!
> > If I create a custom person filter to extract all persons born in
> > 1900, I get what I want.  If I type 1900 in the birth entry in the
> > filter sidebar, it appears to me that I get the same result (as
> > intended).  I am therefore not able to reproduce your finding.  By the
> > way I use Linux, but that should not affect the output.
> >
> > I suggest you to follow Benny's advice about the test database.
> >

> > Espen
> >
> > 2008/10/28 Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]>:
> >> A value of "1900" in the People search bar with "Birth date contains"
> >> will produce a view of all people in my database who were born in
> >> 1900.  If I open the Filter Sidebar and type 1900 in the Birth date
> >> field, I get garbage.  It doesn't return all the folks in my database
> >> but it returns many who were born sometime other than 1900.  I am
> >> running 3.0.3-1 on Windows.  Am I misunderstanding what the Birth date
> >> is supposed to do or is it broken in Windows?
> >>
> >> Jim

Re: Person Event Filtering

Benny Malengier

2008/10/29 Tony Gordon <[hidden email]>
I just tried this on my database. I put 1980 in the People search bar
with 'Birth date contains' and I get 4 individuals. If I type 1980 in
the birth date of the filter side bar, I get 12 individuals, the
original 4 plus 8 others. All of the 8 others have a birth date 'after'
some date. These 8 are the only people in my database with an
'after ....' birth date. Maybe there is a link here.

Ok, but is the result correct?
That is, 1980 is 'after 1700' but not 'after 1981'

The behaviour you mention need not be wrong.

Re: Person Event Filtering

Tony Gordon
True, the result is correct. Is this the behaviour that Jim sees? If it
is, then it would explain his 'problem'.

ony

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:33 +0100, Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2008/10/29 Tony Gordon <[hidden email]>
>         I just tried this on my database. I put 1980 in the People
>         search bar
>         with 'Birth date contains' and I get 4 individuals. If I type
>         1980 in
>         the birth date of the filter side bar, I get 12 individuals,
>         the
>         original 4 plus 8 others. All of the 8 others have a birth
>         date 'after'
>         some date. These 8 are the only people in my database with an
>         'after ....' birth date. Maybe there is a link here.
>
> Ok, but is the result correct?
> That is, 1980 is 'after 1700' but not 'after 1981'
>
> The behaviour you mention need not be wrong.
>
> Benny

Re: Person Event Filtering

Douglas S. Blank
> I just tried this on my database. I put 1980 in the People search bar
> with 'Birth date contains' and I get 4 individuals. If I type 1980 in
> the birth date of the filter side bar, I get 12 individuals, the
> original 4 plus 8 others. All of the 8 others have a birth date 'after'
> some date. These 8 are the only people in my database with an
> 'after ....' birth date. Maybe there is a link here.

Yes, there is a direct link. You can configure GRAMPS to better match your
expectations, too. Currently, "after 1700" is taken to be literally any
time after 1700. When this is in reference to a birthdate, however, you
probably don't want to match the query "1980".

If you would like to limit the range of "after 1700" (and other date
keywords, such as "about" and "before") you can edit your .gramps/keys.ini
file, changing the following values. For example:

date-about-range=10
date-after-range=10
date-before-range=10

This makes the ranges "about 1700" span from 1690 to 1710, and therefore
won't match a filter of "1980".

Hope that helps.

-Doug