Person editor

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

around 95% of the people in the tree I'm currently working at are evangelic.
Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".

I created 2 keyboard macros which create the corresponding events when
I need them (which is often...).

Unfortunally, the INS Keybinding in the person editor only works when
I focus the event part of the editor. While I'm in the firstname or
surname section it does not work. So it slows me down a bit because
I've to get the mouse to set the focus to the events part of the
screen. Tabbing to it wouldn't be a good option for me because I want
to automate the event creation with a single keypress no matter where
the focus currently is inside the person editor.

Is there something I could do? Is there maybe an undocumented shortcut
which allows me to focus the event section?

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Person editor

Ron Johnson
On 8/10/19 3:17 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]
> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".

That seems very much too generic.

Re: Person editor

Oliver Lehmann

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/10/19 3:17 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
> [snip]
>> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>>

> That seems very much too generic.

Of course it is, but thats whats written down....

Re: Person editor

Hi Oliver
in re your INS question.

In  the Person editor, the INS key works in the Tabs where things are Added.

When you use INS under a tab, a new window appropriate to the tab
opens. INS opens the Event editor to add the new event. If you hit INS
while the edit window is open, since the window is looking for text
entries, the INS key toggles the insert/overwrite function.

The Preferred name is actually an open Name editor window. Think of
the exposed name fields as the first added name record under the Names
tab. Therefore it is looking for text entries so INS becomes the
toggle switch and not the Add new Gramps function.

I know this does not solve your issue, but I hope explains what is happening.

Dave

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> around 95% of the people in the tree I'm currently working at are evangelic.
> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>
> I created 2 keyboard macros which create the corresponding events when
> I need them (which is often...).
>
> Unfortunally, the INS Keybinding in the person editor only works when
> I focus the event part of the editor. While I'm in the firstname or
> surname section it does not work. So it slows me down a bit because
> I've to get the mouse to set the focus to the events part of the
> screen. Tabbing to it wouldn't be a good option for me because I want
> to automate the event creation with a single keypress no matter where
> the focus currently is inside the person editor.
>
> Is there something I could do? Is there maybe an undocumented shortcut
> which allows me to focus the event section?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver

Re: Person editor

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

yeah - all I'm looking for is making things faster. I'm about to enter
thousands of people of a single village into gramps. Right now I'm
entering marriages. It is most likely always the same... husband,
religion, profession, date and place of birth, add wife, religion,
date and place of birth, sometimes a profession. Add the marriage
date. Link both to parents if they are already in gramps. Otherwise
add new parents. Move to the next marriage.

Right now I've enterd ~ 260 mariages for 1911-1937.

I want to make thinks faster as entering the data is currently the
most time consuming here... A form for the above listed data would be
great. I would just enter all the data, by <tab>ing from field to
field - and hitting enter would create the persons, all the events and
links the persons together.... man would this save me time ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver
> in re your INS question.
>
> In  the Person editor, the INS key works in the Tabs where things are Added.
>
> When you use INS under a tab, a new window appropriate to the tab
> opens. INS opens the Event editor to add the new event. If you hit INS
> while the edit window is open, since the window is looking for text
> entries, the INS key toggles the insert/overwrite function.
>
> The Preferred name is actually an open Name editor window. Think of
> the exposed name fields as the first added name record under the Names
> tab. Therefore it is looking for text entries so INS becomes the
> toggle switch and not the Add new Gramps function.
>
> I know this does not solve your issue, but I hope explains what is happening.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> around 95% of the people in the tree I'm currently working at are evangelic.
>> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>>
>> I created 2 keyboard macros which create the corresponding events when
>> I need them (which is often...).
>>
>> Unfortunally, the INS Keybinding in the person editor only works when
>> I focus the event part of the editor. While I'm in the firstname or
>> surname section it does not work. So it slows me down a bit because
>> I've to get the mouse to set the focus to the events part of the
>> screen. Tabbing to it wouldn't be a good option for me because I want
>> to automate the event creation with a single keypress no matter where
>> the focus currently is inside the person editor.
>>
>> Is there something I could do? Is there maybe an undocumented shortcut
>> which allows me to focus the event section?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Re: Person editor

On 8/11/19 2:14 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/10/19 3:17 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> [snip]
>>> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>>>

>> That seems very much too generic.
>
> Of course it is, but thats whats written down....

Invent a time machine, go back and slap the fool that just wrote "worker"....

Re: Person editor

It seems like doing this kind of Mass transcription would be easier as an import table of data.

You could enter 1 family with the typical data & export them as a reference CSV file.

(Backup the Tree!)

Experiment with this process using the Example tree. Remember that all mass updating processes will bypass most of the data entry validation & error handling.

Import the CSV into a spreadsheet (with all 'text' format to avoid their internal date handler mangling) & fill in the data.

Strip out the sample couple before Exporting as a CSV.
(Backup the Tree!)
 Import into Gramps.

You could do chunks at a time using the Import Gramplet.

Oh... and remember to (Backup the Tree!) as you go along. You WILL corrupt things at some point.
--Brian

A side note:
I've also used a variation of this export/import technique for mass correction. There ARE dangers.

Once I decided to clean up a consistent typo.
[I cannot type Melchoir (grrrr.... Melchior!) the right way.]

So I (backed up the tree) then exported all the Mispelt Mels, did a harmonize (with several Find & Replaces), trimmed back to JUST the Person ID & Given name fields, and imported via the Import Gramplet.

Person,Given
[I0022],Melchior
[I6194],Johann Melchior
[I0010],William Melchior
[I13873],John Melchior
[I0091],Melchior Hay

But that import didn't just update the specified field for the matching Person IDs. It blanked surnames, titles, suffixes... and several other Person fields.  The importer ASSUMES some field columns are required.  If they are omitted from the input stream, it overwrites the required fields with guessed NULLs! You MUST run tests!

I repeated the process on a restored backup but the new input file hard all the required fields. Success! Now my tree is clean until the next Melchoir (grrrr.... Melchior!) is added manually.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 7:15, Oliver Lehmann
Hi Dave,

yeah - all I'm looking for is making things faster. I'm about to enter
thousands of people of a single village into gramps. Right now I'm
entering marriages. It is most likely always the same... husband,
religion, profession, date and place of birth, add wife, religion,
date and place of birth, sometimes a profession. Add the marriage
date. Link both to parents if they are already in gramps. Otherwise
add new parents. Move to the next marriage.

Right now I've enterd ~ 260 mariages for 1911-1937.

I want to make thinks faster as entering the data is currently the
most time consuming here... A form for the above listed data would be
great. I would just enter all the data, by <tab>ing from field to
field - and hitting enter would create the persons, all the events and
links the persons together.... man would this save me time ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver
> in re your INS question.
>
> In  the Person editor, the INS key works in the Tabs where things are Added.
>
> When you use INS under a tab, a new window appropriate to the tab
> opens. INS opens the Event editor to add the new event. If you hit INS
> while the edit window is open, since the window is looking for text
> entries, the INS key toggles the insert/overwrite function.
>
> The Preferred name is actually an open Name editor window. Think of
> the exposed name fields as the first added name record under the Names
> tab. Therefore it is looking for text entries so INS becomes the
> toggle switch and not the Add new Gramps function.
>
> I know this does not solve your issue, but I hope explains what is happening.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> around 95% of the people in the tree I'm currently working at are evangelic.
>> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>>
>> I created 2 keyboard macros which create the corresponding events when
>> I need them (which is often...).
>>
>> Unfortunally, the INS Keybinding in the person editor only works when
>> I focus the event part of the editor. While I'm in the firstname or
>> surname section it does not work. So it slows me down a bit because
>> I've to get the mouse to set the focus to the events part of the
>> screen. Tabbing to it wouldn't be a good option for me because I want
>> to automate the event creation with a single keypress no matter where
>> the focus currently is inside the person editor.
>>
>> Is there something I could do? Is there maybe an undocumented shortcut
>> which allows me to focus the event section?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Untitled (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Person editor

I looked at the code and there is currently no easy way to activate the lower pane of the various editors.  Once the lower pane is activated, you can <alt>left or <alt>right to switch tabs, but there are no keys to select a particular tab.

I have not looked at the Form Gramplet addon lately, but it might be possible to create a customized form that allows you to enter the data more quickly.  It comes with some census and other forms that can be used as examples, if one of its forms is not already suitable for your purposes.

Paul C.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 7:13 AM Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave,

yeah - all I'm looking for is making things faster. I'm about to enter
thousands of people of a single village into gramps. Right now I'm
entering marriages. It is most likely always the same... husband,
religion, profession, date and place of birth, add wife, religion,
date and place of birth, sometimes a profession. Add the marriage
date. Link both to parents if they are already in gramps. Otherwise
add new parents. Move to the next marriage.

Right now I've enterd ~ 260 mariages for 1911-1937.

I want to make thinks faster as entering the data is currently the
most time consuming here... A form for the above listed data would be
great. I would just enter all the data, by <tab>ing from field to
field - and hitting enter would create the persons, all the events and
links the persons together.... man would this save me time ;)

Best regards,
Oliver

Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver
> in re your INS question.
>
> In  the Person editor, the INS key works in the Tabs where things are Added.
>
> When you use INS under a tab, a new window appropriate to the tab
> opens. INS opens the Event editor to add the new event. If you hit INS
> while the edit window is open, since the window is looking for text
> entries, the INS key toggles the insert/overwrite function.
>
> The Preferred name is actually an open Name editor window. Think of
> the exposed name fields as the first added name record under the Names
> tab. Therefore it is looking for text entries so INS becomes the
> toggle switch and not the Add new Gramps function.
>
> I know this does not solve your issue, but I hope explains what is happening.
>
> Dave
>
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 4:17 PM Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> around 95% of the people in the tree I'm currently working at are evangelic.
>> Around 80% of the males have the profession "worker".
>>
>> I created 2 keyboard macros which create the corresponding events when
>> I need them (which is often...).
>>
>> Unfortunally, the INS Keybinding in the person editor only works when
>> I focus the event part of the editor. While I'm in the firstname or
>> surname section it does not work. So it slows me down a bit because
>> I've to get the mouse to set the focus to the events part of the
>> screen. Tabbing to it wouldn't be a good option for me because I want
>> to automate the event creation with a single keypress no matter where
>> the focus currently is inside the person editor.
>>
>> Is there something I could do? Is there maybe an undocumented shortcut
>> which allows me to focus the event section?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oliver

Re: Person editor

Nick Hall
On 13/08/2019 15:53, Paul Culley wrote:
> I have not looked at the Form Gramplet addon lately, but it might be
> possible to create a customized form that allows you to enter the data
> more quickly.

The Forms addon allows source information to be transcribed into event
and event reference attributes.  In the future, I plan to generate
objects from these transcriptions, but I haven't had time to write
anything yet.

Another option I am considering is to store transcriptions as a marked
up notes instead of attributes.  This idea has only reached a prototype
stage so far.

Re: Person editor

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Paul,

thanks for looking it up. I need to dig into this Forms thing and the
XML structure to see if I can get it to work like I need it.

Best regards,
Oliver