Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi All

Currently in my database I have about 2000 places most of which are
concentrated in one enclosure

So my structure is
United Kingdom Sovereign State
England Country
Lancashire County

As I put more items into the container Lancashire using the Place
Reference Editor and I press the OK button it takes longer and longer to
complete if I use a County with less places in it then the timing is
almost instantaneous

Is this a known problem as the place structure builds

Ubuntu 18.04 Mate
Gramps 5.1.1
Python 3.6.8

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 20:44:52 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>Is this a known problem as the place structure builds

It happens here, too.  IOW, you're not alone.  I think it's inevitable,
TBH.

--
 Regards  _
I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

prculley
Can you describe exactly what seems to take a long time?  Building a selection list? Dialog going away when you press OK? Tabs updating? etc.

Some parts of Gramps are run in the background which allows you to keep working even before the screen is fully updated, but I don't know if that is what you are seeing or something more immediate.

Paul C.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 20:44:52 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>Is this a known problem as the place structure builds

It happens here, too.  IOW, you're not alone.  I think it's inevitable,
TBH.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax
Independence Day - Comsat Angels

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

StoltHD
I have a database with 32000 Norwegian place names in hierarchy and I do not experience much delay... For some of the structures I have 5 and 6 levels all under Country...

Country - County - Municipality - City/Place - Street Name/Farm Name - House Number

I also have multiple enclosures, i.e. both Clerical and Juridical and Geografical Places where they dont belong to either of the two...
In Addition to this I also have places for Ships and when needed I add Companies to the end of the "normal" Hierarchy...

I use SQlite databases and testing on mongodb (here the initial reading/opening of the database have some delay)...

Have you tried to do a database repair and other type of maintaince of the database?

I have my databases on a separate SATA3 SSD, not on my system SSD...

man. 2. des. 2019 kl. 22:32 skrev Brad Rogers <[hidden email]>:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 20:44:52 +0000
phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello phil,

>Is this a known problem as the place structure builds

It happens here, too.  IOW, you're not alone.  I think it's inevitable,
TBH.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax
Independence Day - Comsat Angels

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

This seems to be an issue (or more noticeable) after converting to
SQLite. I am on 5.1.1 on Win10

My place file currently at 23886 records.

After making edits to a record... adding long,lat, adding a link under
the Internet tab as well as adding and editing records under the
Enclosed By tab, the  Place Tree goes through the "Loading Items"
routine including the progress thermometer on the status bar. Making
manual add/edit under the Enclosed By tab causes the Loading routine
when the place reference is saved and the main place record is still
open in it's edit window.. D-n-D from the clipboard to the enclosed by
tab does not trigger the loading routine. The other edits do cause the

Maybe 5% of the time when making an edit, when saving the record, the
been able to discern a pattern.

HTH Dave

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you describe exactly what seems to take a long time?  Building a selection list? Dialog going away when you press OK? Tabs updating? etc.
>
> Some parts of Gramps are run in the background which allows you to keep working even before the screen is fully updated, but I don't know if that is what you are seeing or something more immediate.
>
> Paul C.
>

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:34 PM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 20:44:52 +0000
>> phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello phil,
>>
>> >Is this a known problem as the place structure builds
>>
>> It happens here, too.  IOW, you're not alone.  I think it's inevitable,
>> TBH.
>>
>> --
>>  Regards  _
>>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
>> I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax
>> Independence Day - Comsat Angels

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Philip Weiss

On Dec 2 2019, at 3:30 pm, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems to be an issue (or more noticeable) after converting to
SQLite. I am on 5.1.1 on Win10

My place file currently at 23886 records.

After making edits to a record... adding long,lat, adding a link under
the Internet tab as well as adding and editing records under the
Enclosed By tab, the Place Tree goes through the "Loading Items"
routine including the progress thermometer on the status bar. Making
manual add/edit under the Enclosed By tab causes the Loading routine
when the place reference is saved and the main place record is still
open in it's edit window.. D-n-D from the clipboard to the enclosed by
tab does not trigger the loading routine. The other edits do cause the

Maybe 5% of the time when making an edit, when saving the record, the
been able to discern a pattern.

Are you filtering in the Place Tree view?  If I  edit places without filtering, I never get the loading items modal.  When I am filtering, that seems to take a while with name filters.

Phil.

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Dave Scheipers
No filters.

I am still editing the places adding gps, I add the place's Wikipedia
page, making sure spelling is correct etc.  I am also making sure that
the place record will dynamically change based upon the event date.
Slow but steady work.

Other than adding records under the enclosed by tab, completely new
records do not exhibit the Loading View routine. But editing an
existing record, including one just created will be slowed as the
database reloads the view.

Maybe if I turned the Preference's auto place title off when doing
major place edit work this would speed things up, I'll see has any
affect tomorrow.

Dave

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 6:57 PM Philip Weiss
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 2 2019, at 3:30 pm, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This seems to be an issue (or more noticeable) after converting to
> SQLite. I am on 5.1.1 on Win10
>
> My place file currently at 23886 records.
>
> After making edits to a record... adding long,lat, adding a link under
> the Internet tab as well as adding and editing records under the
> Enclosed By tab, the Place Tree goes through the "Loading Items"
> routine including the progress thermometer on the status bar. Making
> manual add/edit under the Enclosed By tab causes the Loading routine
> when the place reference is saved and the main place record is still
> open in it's edit window.. D-n-D from the clipboard to the enclosed by
> tab does not trigger the loading routine. The other edits do cause the
>
> Maybe 5% of the time when making an edit, when saving the record, the
> been able to discern a pattern.
>

> Are you filtering in the Place Tree view?  If I  edit places without filtering, I never get the loading items modal.  When I am filtering, that seems to take a while with name filters.
>
> Phil.

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Brad Rogers
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 16:32:12 -0600
Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>Can you describe exactly what seems to take a long time?  Building a
>selection list? Dialog going away when you press OK? Tabs updating? etc

Ah, yes;  I know what I mean, but I don't actually *say* what it is.
:-)

It's that the place editor window takes a long time to go away after
pressing 'OK'.  As previously mentioned, it only happens with the more
heavily used places.  Usually at county level (for UK addresses).  I
imagine users with lots of USA places would come across the same problem
at the State level.  Database back end is SQlite.

My machine is quite old (>ten years, dual core AMD 64bit, 8Gig RAM) so
isn't that fast by current standards.  Also, I'd forgotten that I was
using version 5.0.x - an update in Debian to Gramps (yesterday) means
I've not encountered the problem in v5.1.1 as yet.  Mind you, I've
hardly done anything.   I've just added a couple of DoBs, that occurred
in places already extant in my database.

--
 Regards  _
A friend of a friend he got beaten

Re: Place Reference Editor Speedslowing dependent on items in enclosure

Hi Paul

If I have been working and adding events creating places I do not put
them in any enclosureas while I am working on the events

I then go to Place Tree View
With all the structures collapsed the new entries are immediately obvious.
I double click on a new place, and select add to existing enclosure
(Share) button,
Select the enclosure generally by picking the ID number
Then in Place Reference Editor view I may or may not add info lat/lon etc
Click OK button and then wait if my enclosure already has a lot of
places in it then takes time if not much then almost instantaneous

I have not done any database repair recently and I have been working
with no system changes for the last few weeks.

I have briefly tried on my much abused/cluttered Win10 machine and it
does not give the same issue although I was only updating 1 or 2 places
will try again by creating 30+ new places which would probably be a more
accurate match

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583