Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Dave Gilmore
Hey All,

I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
genealogy questions?

Thanks!

--
Dave Gilmore

Researching Gilmore, Anderson, Giardina, Renner,
Fellenstein and Conaway

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Bob McAllister
Dave

The Genealogy and Family History beta on Stack Exchange (http://genealogy.stackexchange.com/) may suit your needs. It uses a system of tags to categorise your question (and get it in front of those members interested in your issue). I note there are just 33 questions tagged Gramps, so it will never supplant this list. But for broader research issues, give it a try.

Bob McAllister
(fortiter - a user so rarely active as to be "lapsed")

On 24 February 2017 at 14:54, Dave Gilmore <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey All,

I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
genealogy questions?

Thanks!

--
Dave Gilmore

Researching Gilmore, Anderson, Giardina, Renner,
Fellenstein and Conaway

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

paul womack
Dave Gilmore wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
> how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
> to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
> Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
> genealogy questions?

I've found rootschat to be excellent.

    BugBear

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Peter Merchant
On 24/02/17 04:54, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
> how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
> to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
> Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
> genealogy questions?
>
> Thanks!

A useful resource that I found the other week for Northern Kent is the
Medway parish registers online at http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/.  it is
not searchable, perhaps I should say indexed, so takes a bit of fingerwork.

I have not found a decent way of logging my work from any references. I
have just changed to a spreadsheet with columns

-Date

-What am I looking for

-What did I find

-Where did I find it

-and Notes

Peter M

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Dave Gilmore

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered going to StackExchange, but thought my questions might be too open ended for there. Can't hurt to ask there anyway I suppose

On 2/23/2017 10:55 PM, Bob McAllister wrote:
[...]

Paul,

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I found this link in the
beginners forum that answered a lot of my questions I think. Most of my
questions are focused on strategy and planning. This helped a ton

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=604861.0

Dave

On 2/24/2017 12:52 AM, paul womack wrote:

> Dave Gilmore wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
>> how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
>> to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
>> Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
>> genealogy questions?
>
> I've found rootschat to be excellent.
>
>    BugBear

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Dave Gilmore
Peter,

Thanks for the idea. Developing a research methodology is something I'm
working out as well. I have settled on a combination of spreadsheet and
Gramps ToDo notes. As to what to track systematically... still working
that out

Dave

On 24/02/17 16:06, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thank you so much for your suggestion! I found this link in the
> beginners forum that answered a lot of my questions I think. Most of my
> questions are focused on strategy and planning. This helped a ton
>
> http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=604861.0
>

> Dave
>
> On 2/24/2017 12:52 AM, paul womack wrote:
>> Dave Gilmore wrote:
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> I have some non-Gramps related research things I'm trying to figure out
>>> how to tackle. Since this is a Gramps usage mailing list I didn't want
>>> to ask questions that weren't related to that here (unless that's OK).
>>> Can anyone suggest some good places to ask more general purpose
>>> genealogy questions?
>> I've found rootschat to be excellent.
>>
>>     BugBear

The second point on there is 'get it on the computer'.  I would like to
add to that to think of a folder structure that fits your needs and also
think of a file naming format.

My structure is a high level folder called 'Ancestry' with sub-folders
for each branch of the family, such as 'Merchant' (fathers side) 'white'
(mothers side) 'Burkey' (paternal Grandmothers side) etc.
and sub-folders in these as required.

I have seen a naming convention based on RINs (Resource Identification
Nos) but as these RINs come from within your program and can change for
the person under certain circumstances, It's not a recommended way.

I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as 1815-birth-Peter_merchant
but others here will have other ideas, especially as this document may
have more than one person in it.

Just some ideas. I like it because I can traverse around it easily with
Dolphin and usually find the file I want.

I am a relative newby so I am sure that others who have been doing this
for longer than me will have their own suggestions.

Peter M.

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

On 02/24/2017 02:59 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
[snip]
> I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as 1815-birth-Peter_merchant
> but others here will have other ideas, especially as this document may
> have more than one person in it.

Why that instead of "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Dave Gilmore
Hi Peter,

     Thanks for your thoughts. My original reason for this question was
in trying to formulate a research strategy. I catch myself following the
proverbial rabbit down the hole once I start a search on someplace like
FamilySearch. I start looking for my great grandmother's (on my mother's
side) birth information from Ohio, and, when I later take a breath and
look up, I've ended up on an Irish forum looking for my 4x great
grandmother on my father's side of my tree who supposedly immigrated to
the US. It happens too frequently because I just kinda pick a person to
start researching to see what I can find as opposed to understanding who
it is and what it is I should focus on.

What that post made me stop and realize is I should stop looking for
records I don't have yet and finish putting in the information from my
family members I have had emailed to me or posted in our family
genealogy based Facebook group. THEN go looking for missing BMD records

Dave

On 24/02/17 21:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/24/2017 02:59 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
> [snip]
>> I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as 1815-birth-Peter_merchant
>> but others here will have other ideas, especially as this document may
>> have more than one person in it.
> Why that instead of "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?

I don't remember why I chose that order.  I can surmise that it was
because of the way I went searching for information:- look in this year,
look at Censuses, look for this person, but that's the way Ancestry
drives you.
-- But of course it is the person that is really the highest level in
the search.  It makes me think that if I did it by person-year-occasion
then I would have each persons biography clearly shown in a list of files.

Peter

Re: Place To Ask About Research Techniques

Dave Hamilton

On 24/02/17 21:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/24/2017 02:59 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
> [snip]
>> I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as
>> 1815-birth-Peter_merchant but others here will have other ideas,
>> especially as this document may have more than one person in it.
> Why that instead of "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?

I don't remember why I chose that order.  I can surmise that it was because
of the way I went searching for information:- look in this year, look at
Censuses, look for this person, but that's the way Ancestry drives you.
-- But of course it is the person that is really the highest level in the
search.  It makes me think that if I did it by person-year-occasion then I
would have each persons biography clearly shown in a list of files.

Peter

This is certainly the structure I use as it gives me a pseudo-timeline for
an individual. I also qualify the person with their DOB as I have so many
Irish ancestors all with the same name and the DOB is the easiest way to
distinguish them

On 25/02/17 09:15, Dave Hamilton wrote:

> On 24/02/17 21:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 02/24/2017 02:59 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as
>>> 1815-birth-Peter_merchant but others here will have other ideas,
>>> especially as this document may have more than one person in it.
>> Why that instead of "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?
>>
> I don't remember why I chose that order.  I can surmise that it was because
> of the way I went searching for information:- look in this year, look at
> Censuses, look for this person, but that's the way Ancestry drives you.
> -- But of course it is the person that is really the highest level in the
> search.  It makes me think that if I did it by person-year-occasion then I
> would have each persons biography clearly shown in a list of files.
>

> Peter
>
> This is certainly the structure I use as it gives me a pseudo-timeline for
> an individual. I also qualify the person with their DOB as I have so many
> Irish ancestors all with the same name and the DOB is the easiest way to
> distinguish them
>
> Dave
So that's Merchant_Peter(02-03-1946)-1911-census?
Excellent as I also have a lot of duplicate names, but in trying to sort
out the Thomas H's I also have   the same birth year for the two people
I am trying to qualify.  I haven't found a birth/baptism record for
either yet, and then I'll have to decide which it pertains to.

Cheers,
Peter

On 02/25/2017 02:10 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:
On 24/02/17 21:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/24/2017 02:59 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
[snip]
I use the format year-Occasion-person  such as 1815-birth-Peter_merchant
but others here will have other ideas, especially as this document may
have more than one person in it.
Why that instead of "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?

I don't remember why I chose that order.  I can surmise that it was
because of the way I went searching for information:- look in this year,
look at Censuses, look for this person, but that's the way Ancestry
drives you.

I should clarify: why "1815-birth-Peter_merchant" instead of  "1815-Merchant,_Peter-birth"?