Place "Enclosed By" relationship double ups when importing from csv

Place "Enclosed By" relationship double ups when importing from csv

Melissa Brooks
I exported my "places" to geocode my placenames and reimport them with lat/longs

this all worked great except I now have 2 x "Enclosed By" relationships.

It doesnt appear to affect much, it would just be great to not have this double up.

Any ideas on either how to remove the double ups or to re import the csv while only ending up with one enclosed record..

attached image to explain

Gramps 4.2.6.1

image (1).jpg (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Place "Enclosed By" relationship double ups when importing from csv

prculley
You have hit upon a bug that was recently fixed for the upcoming Gramps 5.0.0.  Unfortunately there is no really easy way (like an upgrade) to get the fix.
However, if you are willing to try something, you can patch in the fixed part of Gramps to your own installation.
First download https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gramps-project/gramps/maintenance/gramps50/gramps/plugins/importer/importcsv.py
which is the part of the program which imports CSV files.

Then copy it to your Gramps installation.  I will assume you are running Windows (your photo looks like a Windows version), so the location for the Gramps install for that file is probably something like "c:\Program Files\GrampsAIO64-4.2.6\gramps\plugins\importer".  Open that up in your file manager.  You should probably rename the old "importcsv.py" file to something else to preserve it if this does not work.  Then copy the downloaded file (should also be named "importcsv.py") to that location.

Once this is done, use your backup from before the bad import to start a new tree (hope you have one).  Then re-import the CSV using the fixed up Gramps.  That should now import correctly.

Paul C.