Places Types

victorengel
If I close Gramps and restart it, the custom place types I have defined do not get loaded into the popup. Apparently, only the default ones are listed. Is there a way to force a load of the custom types to memory so they show up in the popup? Once used, they appear after that, so it seems like this should be possible.

Victor

Re: Places Types

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:21:44 -0500
Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Victor,

>not get loaded into the popup. Apparently, only the default o

Using v4.2.8, they are located at the bottom of the list.  Of course, if
you're using a different version of Gramps, YMMV.

--
 Regards  _
You can't go in if you don't look right

Re: Places Types

victorengel
Yes, that is where they are located when they are loaded. But how do I get them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I had to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 1:39 PM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:21:44 -0500
Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Victor,

>not get loaded into the popup. Apparently, only the default o

Using v4.2.8, they are located at the bottom of the list.  Of course, if
you're using a different version of Gramps, YMMV.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
You can't go in if you don't look right
Outlaw - Chron Gen

Re: Places Types

Brad Rogers
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:46:17 -0500
Victor Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Victor,

>them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I
>had to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.

I have to do nothing special;  They're there at start of Gramps.

Oh, wait.  Hang on.  Maybe I misunderstood your initial post.

When you start Gramps and can't find your custom places, do you have a
database loaded?

If no, then you won't find the custom places as they're stored along
with everything else in the database.  Same applies to Custom Events
and Tags, if you've created them.  However, Custom Filters *are* loaded
even when no database is.

--
 Regards  _
My limbs are like palm trees swaying in the breeze

Re: Places Types

On 25/07/18 19:46, Victor Engel wrote:
Yes, that is where they are located when they are loaded. But how do I get them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I had to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.

New custom types are saved to the metadata table when you exit Gramps.

If Gramps crashes then they won't be saved.  You will have to add a new place or edit an existing place with the custom type and then exit Gramps.

Re: Places Types

Dave Scheipers
With the release of 5.0, no one will have an excuse of not having a backup.

But the creation of custom Types is not a function of backups. Once
the record is saved, the custom type should be a part of the database
(so long as there is no 'crash' of the database during the session.)

Custom types are a part of the active database. Creating a new
database does not have the custom items unless or until a database
containing them is imported.

Victor, when selecting a type for a new record, are you scrolling the
drop-down list or do you start typing to select the type. I have
"Cemetery" as a custom type, instead of scrolling the dropdown list I
type 'Ce" and Cemetery appears to select.

So after a session in gramps, you've created a custom record type. You
have a clean exit of the program. In the next session, creating or
editing a record does the custom type in the list?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which implies that you're not backing up frequently...
>
> On 07/25/2018 02:32 PM, Victor Engel wrote:
>
> Ok. I will start exiting gramps more frequently then. I guess I will go edit
> one of each type then exit....
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 25/07/18 19:46, Victor Engel wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that is where they are located when they are loaded. But how do I get
>> them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I had
>> to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.
>>
>> New custom types are saved to the metadata table when you exit Gramps.
>>
>> If Gramps crashes then they won't be saved.  You will have to add a new
>> place or edit an existing place with the custom type and then exit Gramps.
>>
>> Nick.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Places Types

I'm curious, when I was having Custom entries duplicated on pop-ups, it was suggested that I ALSO backup to XML and import the XML to a new tree then test in the Beta version. This was supposed to give the cleanest possible database as I started testing.

(Before exporting, I made sure to fix any nearly duplicate custom Place types... Like 'Cemetery' and the lower-case 'cemetery' variant.)

When I imported the XML, all the custom Lists were re-built. Also, the Gramps tree ran faster... Even though I had been running the 64bit Windows version under 4.x.x and the beta was only the 32bit.

I understand that v5.0.0 will convert the version 4 databases.  But it seems like a good policy to do several backups variants (.gramps backup, Gramp .XML, & GEDcom) and save those along with a copy of the version 4 installer (for the release you've been using) to DVD. Include a short ReadMe.txt file with your name/contact info, why you're doing this backup, & the system configuration.)

The DVD should be stored offsite too. This gives a fixed fallback position for catastrophic failure.
(How many years have you been working on the data in this project?)

Even if you think the backup policy is too paranoid, is it worth doing an import into a blank tree to see if you see a performance boost?

Brian

On Wed, 7/25/18, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Places Types
 To: "Ron Johnson" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "Gramps users" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 4:27 PM

 <[hidden email]> wrote:

 >> On 25/07/18 19:46, Victor Engel wrote:
 >>
 >> Yes, that is where they are located when they are loaded. But how do I get
 >> them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I had
 >> to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.
 >>
 >> New custom types are saved to the
 metadata table when you exit Gramps.

 >> If Gramps crashes then they won't be saved.  You will have to add a new
 >> place or edit an existing place with the custom type and then exit Gramps.

Re: Places Types

Nick Hall
On 25/07/18 23:06, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> I'm curious, when I was having Custom entries duplicated on pop-ups, it was suggested that I ALSO backup to XML and import the XML to a new tree then test in the Beta version. This was supposed to give the cleanest possible database as I started testing.

Yes.  An import will rebuild the metadata.

> (Before exporting, I made sure to fix any nearly duplicate custom Place types... Like 'Cemetery' and the lower-case 'cemetery' variant.)
>
> When I imported the XML, all the custom Lists were re-built. Also, the Gramps tree ran faster... Even though I had been running the 64bit Windows version under 4.x.x and the beta was only the 32bit.
>
> I understand that v5.0.0 will convert the version 4 databases.  But it seems like a good policy to do several backups variants (.gramps backup, Gramp .XML, & GEDcom) and save those along with a copy of the version 4 installer (for the release you've been using) to DVD. Include a short ReadMe.txt file with your name/contact info, why you're doing this backup, & the system configuration.)
>
> The DVD should be stored offsite too. This gives a fixed fallback position for catastrophic failure.
> (How many years have you been working on the data in this project?)
>
> Even if you think the backup policy is too paranoid, is it worth doing an import into a blank tree to see if you see a performance boost?

Always make a Gramps XML backup before you upgrade to a new version.  I
like to import this file into an empty tree, although I'm not sure why
you would see a performance improvement.

Re: Places Types

victorengel
"Victor, when selecting a type for a new record, are you scrolling the
drop-down list or do you start typing to select the type. I have
"Cemetery" as a custom type, instead of scrolling the dropdown list I
type 'Ce" and Cemetery appears to select."

First, I'm running Gramps on OSX. If I click the arrow that displays the popup, the popup returns instantly, populating with what probably is the default value. Apparently, it is not designed for that UX but rather to click on hold, then scroll down to the selected item, which is not the way any other application I use works, so that's not natural to me. Normally, though, I click the field and type the first letter. That generates a smaller popup, which I then click to select my desired item. If what I want isn't in the popup, I can type a new one, but I get an annoying beep for each character I type, which probably is the software telling me it couldn't find anything. Yes, I know there isn't anything. That's why I'm typing it. Let me type in peace. :)

I have another editing gripe. If I click on an already populated type, I cannot position the cursor between two characters. It always highlights a character. If I accidentally left out a letter, I cannot click to the part of the word where the new letter goes and insert it. I can click there, but then I have to type the whole rest of the word because each letter overwrites an existing one. This is not the case with the Name field, but I don't think it is limited to the type field either. It's not a major issue - just an annoyance.

BTW, I'm currently processing VERY few new records. I'm in cleanup mode after importing from ancestry.com. I have over 15,000 people with their associated data, so it will be a while before cleanup is complete and I start adding new records. What new records I'm adding are to fill holes associated with cleanup. For example, if a city exists but the county it is in does not, I am entering the county. Some of these require new types.

In answer to your last question, after editing a sample of each record type, exiting Gramps and reloading, all my custom types are appearing. So that issue is resolved.

Victor

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
With the release of 5.0, no one will have an excuse of not having a backup.

But the creation of custom Types is not a function of backups. Once
the record is saved, the custom type should be a part of the database
(so long as there is no 'crash' of the database during the session.)

Custom types are a part of the active database. Creating a new
database does not have the custom items unless or until a database
containing them is imported.

Victor, when selecting a type for a new record, are you scrolling the
drop-down list or do you start typing to select the type. I have
"Cemetery" as a custom type, instead of scrolling the dropdown list I
type 'Ce" and Cemetery appears to select.

So after a session in gramps, you've created a custom record type. You
have a clean exit of the program. In the next session, creating or
editing a record does the custom type in the list?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which implies that you're not backing up frequently...
>
> On 07/25/2018 02:32 PM, Victor Engel wrote:
>
> Ok. I will start exiting gramps more frequently then. I guess I will go edit
> one of each type then exit....
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 25/07/18 19:46, Victor Engel wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that is where they are located when they are loaded. But how do I get
>> them loaded? My computer halted, and when I started Gramps up again, I had
>> to break a lock and when I displayed the popup, they were not there.
>>
>> New custom types are saved to the metadata table when you exit Gramps.
>>
>> If Gramps crashes then they won't be saved.  You will have to add a new
>> place or edit an existing place with the custom type and then exit Gramps.
>>
>> Nick.
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Places Types

Perhaps I've been neglecting maintenance and Utilities that I ought to have been running?

In other database applications with LOTS of edits, deletes, and inserts; I would use external Utilities from the database engine backend to pack & re-index on a regular basis.

Have I been negligent with Gramps?

On Wed, 7/25/18, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Always make a Gramps XML backup before you upgrade to a new version.  I like to import this file into an empty tree, although I'm not sure why
you would see a performance improvement.

Re: Places Types

That's ok if:
#1 you're not running gramps at the time, and
#2 you accept that you very well might not be able to use those backups with
later versions of gramps.

On 07/25/2018 05:26 PM, Victor Engel wrote:
> P.S. I am backing up regularly, but the backups have not been
> Gramps-generated backups. I have two other kinds of backups that are not
> application-specific that are running regularly. Actually three kinds, one
> of which is Apple's Time Machine backup. The other two are cloud backups
> (I'm using one and evaluating another).

Re: Places Types

How do you currently back up your trees?  Here's what I run from cron.  It's
tailored to my site, but should be easily configurable.

#!/bin/bash
set +o xtrace

### Supress errors when run from Cron
if [ -z $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR ]
then
     export DISPLAY=:0
     export USER=$LOGNAME
     export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$(id -u $USER)
fi

BACK_DIR=~/gramps_backup

out_fmt=gramps
T=$(date +"%F_%H:%M")

SSE=$(date +"%s")       ## Seconds since Epoch
OFFSET_AGO=$(($SSE - 3600*4 + 60)) ## Every 4 hours!!  ## add 30 in case
backing up the db counts as a "touch"

cd $BACK_DIR
if [ "$1" = "ged" ];
then
     out_fmt=$1
     cd ~
fi;

back_it_up ()
{
     echo -e '\n\n'
     TREE="$1"
     LAT=$(gramps -t 2> /dev/null | grep ${TREE} | awk -F'\t' '{print $3}')
     TOUCHED_SSE=$(date --date "${LAT//\"/}" +%s)
     echo "$SSE $(date -d @$OFFSET_AGO) $(date +"%F %T, %a") tree=$TREE last
touched $(date -d @${TOUCHED_SSE})."
     echo "$SSE $(date -d @$OFFSET_AGO) $(date +"%F %T, %a") tree=$TREE last
touched $(date -d @${TOUCHED_SSE})." >> $BACK_DIR/backup.log
     if [ $TOUCHED_SSE -gt $OFFSET_AGO ];
     then
         echo "    Going to back up ${TREE}" | tee -a $BACK_DIR/backup.log
         echo "    ****************************"
         echo "    ****************************"
         echo "    ****************************"
         echo "    ****************************"
         echo "    ****************************"
         gramps -u -O "${TREE}" -e "${T}_${TREE}.${out_fmt}" 2> /dev/null
     else
         echo "    No need to back up ${TREE}" | tee -a $BACK_DIR/backup.log
     fi
}

echo "" >> $BACK_DIR/backup.log

killall gramps  ## v4.2.2 sometimes doesn't like doing online backups.

back_it_up Johnson-Gilbert

echo -e '\n\n'
ls -AFl --time-style=+"%F %T" --color $BACK_DIR/${T}_*.${out_fmt}

cd ~
cp -vpauP $BACK_DIR Genealogy_Media Genealogy /Data/share/genealogy_copies
cp $BACK_DIR/${T}_*.${out_fmt} /640GB_drive/backups/ron/Gramps

On 07/25/2018 05:36 PM, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> Perhaps I've been neglecting maintenance and Utilities that I ought to have been running?
>
> In other database applications with LOTS of edits, deletes, and inserts; I would use external Utilities from the database engine backend to pack & re-index on a regular basis.
>
> Have I been negligent with Gramps?

> On Wed, 7/25/18, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Always make a Gramps XML backup before you upgrade to a new version.  I like to import this file into an empty tree, although I'm not sure why
> you would see a performance improvement.

Re: Places Types

victorengel
I'm really sort of still evaluating Gramps, so backups for posterity is not so critical yet. Once I've decided to use Gramps as my main repository, a good backup strategy will definitely be part of the decision. It's looking like that's what will happen, but I'm not 100% sold on Gramps yet.

I'm not just new to this forum. I'm also new to Gramps.

Victor

That's ok if:
#1 you're not running gramps at the time, and
#2 you accept that you very well might not be able to use those backups with later versions of gramps.

On 07/25/2018 05:26 PM, Victor Engel wrote:
P.S. I am backing up regularly, but the backups have not been Gramps-generated backups. I have two other kinds of backups that are not application-specific that are running regularly. Actually three kinds, one of which is Apple's Time Machine backup. The other two are cloud backups (I'm using one and evaluating another).

Re: Places Types

Two observations

The Beep when entering a Custom item I think as the warning, "Do you
really want to enter a custom item" Most of the time I have my
speakers off so when I hear the beeps, I turn my speakers off (I do my
genealogy on a desktop so turning speakers off is easy).

As to the selecting a letter to edit the type field versus inserting
between characters...it is because at least in the drop-down lists,
the computer reverts to overwrite instead of insert mode. Hitting the
insert key solves this. And regardless, going back to regular fields
you remain in insert mode.

Why ??? who knows.