Places UI - auto complete

gary
Hi,

Prior to upgrading to 4.1.2-1, the Title field in the Places UI would auto complete when editing the Name field and adding Enclosed By data to satisfy the hierarchical structure. Now the Title field stays empty and requires manual entry which is tedious and error-prone.

The auto completion action I am referring to is shown in Richard Suthern's video here:

Is this a known condition or am I possibly missing something?

Thanks,
Gary Edberg

Re: Places UI - auto complete

Nick Hall
On 18/03/15 18:43, gary wrote:

> Prior to upgrading to 4.1.2-1, the Title field in the Places UI would
> auto complete when editing the Name field and adding Enclosed By data
> to satisfy the hierarchical structure. Now the Title field stays empty
> and requires manual entry which is tedious and error-prone.
>
> The auto completion action I am referring to is shown in Richard
> Suthern's video here:
> https://youtu.be/ato3n0ZQ6hY?t=4m40s (see ~5:00)
>
> Is this a known condition or am I possibly missing something?

Sorry - This is my fault.

I have just noticed the following bug report:

8415: The Title of Place is not auto filled any more

The change was made as a result of two feature requests:

7942: Make place title date dependent

8057: Need a way to disable auto updating of place titles

To make the place title date dependent I introduced a date displayer.
By default it just displays the title, but you can change this in the
preferences dialog Display tab.  When set to "Automatic" the place title
is generated on-the-fly and the title field is not used.

I anticipated two groups of users:  those who would use the automatic
place generation, and those who would prefer to construct their own
place titles.  Richard's video may highlight a third group - those who
want to modify an auto-completed title slightly.

It would be interested to get more feedback from users.  We can make
some modifications for 4.1.3.

Re: Places UI - auto complete

Nick Hall
On 18/03/15 19:35, Nick Hall wrote:
> To make the place title date dependent I introduced a date displayer.

I meant to say place displayer.  The concept is similar to the existing
date displayer.

Re: Places UI - auto complete

Douglas Bainbridge
On 18/03/15 19:35, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 18/03/15 18:43, gary wrote:
>> Prior to upgrading to 4.1.2-1, the Title field in the Places UI would
>> auto complete when editing the Name field and adding Enclosed By data
>> to satisfy the hierarchical structure. Now the Title field stays empty
>> and requires manual entry which is tedious and error-prone.
>>
>> The auto completion action I am referring to is shown in Richard
>> Suthern's video here:
>> https://youtu.be/ato3n0ZQ6hY?t=4m40s (see ~5:00)
>>
>> Is this a known condition or am I possibly missing something?
>>
> Sorry - This is my fault.
>
> I have just noticed the following bug report:
>
> 8415: The Title of Place is not auto filled any more
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8415
>
> The change was made as a result of two feature requests:
>
> 7942: Make place title date dependent
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7942
>
> 8057: Need a way to disable auto updating of place titles
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8057
>
> To make the place title date dependent I introduced a date displayer.
> By default it just displays the title, but you can change this in the
> preferences dialog Display tab.  When set to "Automatic" the place title
> is generated on-the-fly and the title field is not used.
>
> I anticipated two groups of users:  those who would use the automatic
> place generation, and those who would prefer to construct their own
> place titles.  Richard's video may highlight a third group - those who
> want to modify an auto-completed title slightly.
>
> It would be interested to get more feedback from users.  We can make
> some modifications for 4.1.3.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Count me in groups 2 and 3, please

Doug

Re: Places UI - auto complete

gary
Nick, thanks for your feedback and referencing the Mantis tickets. Some of my place titles are pretty long and so I appreciated the time saved by the auto complete feature. With that being said, the date-dependent titles make sense and I understand why some people might be annoyed by auto-completion. I would put myself in group 3 as I like the auto-completion feature and the ability to modify it if necessary.

Regarding the preferences->Display->Place format, I am unclear about what this does. I've tried both "Title" and "Automatic" and don't see any difference, at least in data entry or reports. Is there documentation which elaborates on this or can you describe this setting?

Gary

On 18/03/15 20:41, gary wrote:
Regarding the preferences->Display->Place format, I am unclear about what this does. I've tried both "Title" and "Automatic" and don't see any difference, at least in data entry or reports. Is there documentation which elaborates on this or can you describe this setting?

When set to "Title", the place displayer will always display the contents of the title field.

When set to "Automatic", the place displayer will build a title on-the-fly from the name fields.  It constructs a comma separated list of names by following the place hierarchy upwards.  If there is more than one route up the hierarchy, it will pick the route that is valid for the date of the event being displayed.

The "Automatic" setting has a few advantages over the "Title" setting:

1. The displayed place titles can be date dependent.
2. A correction to a spelling mistake in the name of a place is automatically reflected in all places located within it.
3. Other place displayer setting will be possible in the future.

Some ideas for future place displayer settings include:

- Not adding the country to the title if the place is in the "home" country.
- Only displaying town/city and higher levels in the title.
- Displaying a code instead of a name for a given level (e.g. a US state abbreviation).
- Displaying the town/city name in capital letters.

I have also had requests to display place titles in different languages.

If the Automatic" setting is used the place title field can be left empty.