Places and sourcex...

zed

Places and sourcex...

zed
Using Gramps v5.0.0 on Sparky  Linux v5.5 Mate.

I have five databases of different families - unrelated to each other.

In my own family database I have created a large number of  places and
sources and have noticed that many of the people in the  unrelated family
databases share places and sources.

My question:   Is it possible in Gramps to export from the Places and
Sources from my family database to the others?

I don't know ehther I have explained what I want clearly enough.  It
really boils down to the fact that I want to avoid the laborious task of
recreating something which already exists in a Gramps database.

Zed

--
Zed
People forget what you said.

Re: Places and sourcex...

Ron Johnson
On 08/15/2018 03:54 PM, zed wrote:

> Using Gramps v5.0.0 on Sparky  Linux v5.5 Mate.
>
> I have five databases of different families - unrelated to each other.
>
> In my own family database I have created a large number of  places and
> sources and have noticed that many of the people in the  unrelated family
> databases share places and sources.
>
> My question:   Is it possible in Gramps to export from the Places and
> Sources from my family database to the others?

Yes.  Note, though, that you'll get duplicates when you import.

> I don't know ehther I have explained what I want clearly enough.  It
> really boils down to the fact that I want to avoid the laborious task of
> recreating something which already exists in a Gramps database.

This is why I merged my trees into one big database.

Re: Places and sourcex...

prculley
You can export your tree to XML then create a new tree and import it again. This makes a copy of the tree. Then delete all the persons, families, and media as well as citations. Only the places, sources, and the repositories would remain.

At that point you could either import your other trees into this, or export XML and import the result into the other tree. You will end up with duplicates on places and sources that will have to be merged out manually.

Paul Culley

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018, 5:49 PM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/15/2018 03:54 PM, zed wrote:
> Using Gramps v5.0.0 on Sparky  Linux v5.5 Mate.
>
> I have five databases of different families - unrelated to each other.
>
> In my own family database I have created a large number of  places and
> sources and have noticed that many of the people in the  unrelated family
> databases share places and sources.
>
> My question:   Is it possible in Gramps to export from the Places and
> Sources from my family database to the others?

Yes.  Note, though, that you'll get duplicates when you import.

> I don't know ehther I have explained what I want clearly enough.  It
> really boils down to the fact that I want to avoid the laborious task of
> recreating something which already exists in a Gramps database.

This is why I merged my trees into one big database.

Re: Places and sourcex...

StoltHD
Yes, that is possible, both in xml, json and csv. just dont import it multiple times into the same database, bucause you will get multiple duplicates of the places...

You can select what you want to export in the export dialog.

Den ons. 15. aug. 2018 kl. 23:14 skrev zed <[hidden email]>:
Using Gramps v5.0.0 on Sparky  Linux v5.5 Mate.

I have five databases of different families - unrelated to each other.

In my own family database I have created a large number of  places and
sources and have noticed that many of the people in the  unrelated family
databases share places and sources.

My question:   Is it possible in Gramps to export from the Places and
Sources from my family database to the others?

I don't know ehther I have explained what I want clearly enough.  It
really boils down to the fact that I want to avoid the laborious task of
recreating something which already exists in a Gramps database.

Zed

--
Zed
People forget what you said.

Re: Places and sourcex...

StoltHD
I double checked now, and its just when exporting CSV you can chose what to export, you can deselect, all but places and sources, but as mentioned, be aware that you may get duplicates if you already have this places in you database, so you will have som job merging...

Same will happen if you import multiple times, you get a new copy of the places every time... so if you want to do changes or additions in the CSV file, do it before you import, and if you then want to add some more places via csv import, make a list with only the new places...

jgh