Places

NdK

Places

NdK
Ave all.

I'm having an hard time figuring out the best way to use places.
The details I have are from a generic country for some entries down to
the eact tombstone position GPS-mapped.
And the most detailed entries are the ones that confuse me. Should I
just insert the cemetery as a place? If so, how can I keep track of the
more detailed data I have?
Another problem could be with people born in house instead of in
hospitals: should I create a place with the address or just one with the
city and write "somewhere else" the address?

Using a place only for a single event seems a waste... But since I have
no experience in genealogy it could be the right thing to do...

Tks for any answer.

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Places

derHeinzi

Hi Diego,

I don't know what others think about this, but what I do is to add the city or village as place and then for a specific event add a note of self defined type "place_detail" (which is not in the default note types). In this note I take down the details beyond the place location (street, house number, suburb, grave position, more exact GPS position, whatever).
So any event in my database may have event_notes and a place_detail note.
No information is lost and the list of places can be reused for many events.

HTH Heinz

> Ave all.
>
> I'm having an hard time figuring out the best way to use places.
> The details I have are from a generic country for some entries down to
> the eact tombstone position GPS-mapped.
> And the most detailed entries are the ones that confuse me. Should I
> just insert the cemetery as a place? If so, how can I keep track of the
> more detailed data I have?
> Another problem could be with people born in house instead of in
> hospitals: should I create a place with the address or just one with the
> city and write "somewhere else" the address?
>
> Using a place only for a single event seems a waste... But since I have
> no experience in genealogy it could be the right thing to do...
>
> Tks for any answer.
>
> BYtE,
>  Diego.

Re: Places

Michael Tiernan
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:56 AM, NdK <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Using a place only for a single event seems a waste... But since I have
> no experience in genealogy it could be the right thing to do...
I'm *no* expert, I'm still muddling my way through all this.

What _I_ do is, create individual entries that narrow in specificity.
Here's an example. A relative is buried at a cemetery in Somerville
Mass so I have individual entries like this:
USA
Massachusetts, USA
Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
1333 Broadway, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
Veterans Cemetery, 1333 Broadway, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA

If I get a second "resident" in that location, I duplicate the entry
with the highest resolution (this last one) and adjust the name to
include who it it specifically is.

In the circus that is my family locations, there are many occurances
where more than one family live at an address iin a multi-family home
and in some cases, they even switch residence. In those cases the way
I'm doing this works out fine.

--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

Re: Places

Ron Johnson
On 04/15/2013 09:09 AM, Michael Tiernan wrote:
[snip]
I'm *no* expert, I'm still muddling my way through all this.

What _I_ do is, create individual entries that narrow in specificity.
Here's an example. A relative is buried at a cemetery in Somerville
Mass so I have individual entries like this:
USA
Massachusetts, USA
Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
1333 Broadway, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
Veterans Cemetery, 1333 Broadway, Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA

If I get a second "resident" in that location, I duplicate the entry
with the highest resolution (this last one) and adjust the name to
include who it it specifically is.

So you have multiple "Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA" Place entries?  Or do I misunderstand you?

I assign each person who's highest resolution is "Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA" to a single "Somerville" Place entry and then if/when I get more detail, I alter the Person to point to a different/new Place.
--
"There are no solutions; there are only tradeoffs."
Thomas Sowell

Re: Places

Michael Tiernan
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So you have multiple "Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA" Place
> entries?  Or do I misunderstand you?

Yea, sorry, I stated it too losely.

I have one "place" entry for Somerville and multiple people/events point to it.

As the example of my Uncle:
His burial place was listed as Massachusetts, Mass until I found out
he was buried in that particular cemetery.
Then I went to places, duplicated the entry for Somerrville,
Middlesex, ..." and the new one I edited to include Veterans cemetery,
1333 Broadway increasing the resolution of this specific entry.
Then, I went to his burial entry and for the location, used this
newer, higher resolution location.

My entry for "Somerville, Middlesex, Mass..." is used in or referenced
by thirty-three other events and those don't change.
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan
    Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis

Re: Places

John
There seems to be a case for a systematic and structured Place hierarchy, but designing it may be a bit of a nightmare to incorporate all the variables.

In a similar vein, why do we have Addresses separately from Places?  Most Addresses have multiple occupants, and in many cases the complete address is is not available, only some part such as the street name, or the parish or district, and often only the village or town or enumeration / registration district.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see why Addresses are not part of the Places database.  They could still be called Addresses at the appropriate locations in the various windows and reports.

John
NdK

Re: Places

NdK
Il 15/04/2013 17:53, j2t2 ha scritto:
> There seems to be a case for a systematic and structured Place hierarchy, but
> designing it may be a bit of a nightmare to incorporate all the variables.
That's for sure: hyerarchical data is "hard" to manage in RDBMSs.

> In a similar vein, why do we have Addresses separately from Places?  Most
> Addresses have multiple occupants, and in many cases the complete address is
> is not available, only some part such as the street name, or the parish or
> district, and often only the village or town or enumeration / registration
> district.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see why Addresses are
> not part of the Places database.  They could still be called Addresses at
> the appropriate locations in the various windows and reports.
Having separate addresses could help keep database normalized. But
apparently normalizing it was not a priority -- surely for good reasons.
It gives much more freedom -- and more ways to mess things :)

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Places

Martin Steer-2
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 06:53:27PM +0200, NdK wrote:
>Il 15/04/2013 17:53, j2t2 ha scritto:
>> There seems to be a case for a systematic and structured Place hierarchy, but
>> designing it may be a bit of a nightmare to incorporate all the variables.
>That's for sure: hyerarchical data is "hard" to manage in RDBMSs.

Gramps uses the Berkeley DB. I don't know too much about it, but
according to Wikipedia it isn't a relational database. Advanced RDMS's,
such as PostgreSQL, do in fact handle hierarchical data quite well.

However, historical place-names don't form nice hierachies, unless you
push them into some modern strait-jacket. Examples are easy: Königsberg
was once a town in Prussia, and is now a Russian town called
Kaliningrad; New South Wales is now in Australia, whereas formerly it
was a British colony, and of much greater extent; and so on.

Gramps has a solution for this, which is to allow alternate locations
for a single place-name, but how do I work Königsberg and Kaliningrad
into that?

M.

Re: Places

2013/4/15 j2t2 <[hidden email]>
There seems to be a case for a systematic and structured Place hierarchy, but
designing it may be a bit of a nightmare to incorporate all the variables.

In a similar vein, why do we have Addresses separately from Places?  Most
Addresses have multiple occupants, and in many cases the complete address is
is not available, only some part such as the street name, or the parish or
district, and often only the village or town or enumeration / registration
district.  Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see why Addresses are
not part of the Places database.  They could still be called Addresses at
the appropriate locations in the various windows and reports.

Because this is part of the GEDCOM standard we support.

Don't  use address, use residence event for addresses.

See: http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Why_residence_event_and_not_Address%3F

Benny

John