Places

Peter Flynn
In my data, there are detailed addresses (number, street, locality, ity,
etc) for a large number of people's events (mostly births, marriages,
and deaths), many of which begin with the house number. Is there a way
to store these in Places in disaggregated (fielded) form? Or do I just
put the whole address into the Name field?

///Peter

Re: Places

Ron Johnson
On 11/14/2018 05:27 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> In my data, there are detailed addresses (number, street, locality, ity,
> etc) for a large number of people's events (mostly births, marriages,
> and deaths), many of which begin with the house number. Is there a way
> to store these in Places in disaggregated (fielded) form? Or do I just
> put the whole address into the Name field?

I created a custom Place type "Address" for my addresses, like the Name "326
Edinburgh St.".

There's also "Street" and "Number" Place types (though I don't remember if
they are Custom ones that I created or are built-in). In that case, you
could create Number name "326" which is surrounded by Street name "Edinburgh
St."

Re: Places

Dave Scheipers
Street and Number are standard Types. In Preferences, the ## Street,
City ... or Street ##, City, ... can be set as the display options
omitting the normal comma between the street and number entries. This
display option only works when Street and Number record Types are
used. The Street ## option is only available in 5.0. Both options use
the same hierarchy in the place records. City (or other populated
place), Street, Number.

HTH, Dave
On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:38 PM Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/14/2018 05:27 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > In my data, there are detailed addresses (number, street, locality, ity,
> > etc) for a large number of people's events (mostly births, marriages,
> > and deaths), many of which begin with the house number. Is there a way
> > to store these in Places in disaggregated (fielded) form? Or do I just
> > put the whole address into the Name field?
>
> I created a custom Place type "Address" for my addresses, like the Name "326
> Edinburgh St.".
>
> There's also "Street" and "Number" Place types (though I don't remember if
> they are Custom ones that I created or are built-in). In that case, you
> could create Number name "326" which is surrounded by Street name "Edinburgh
> St."
>

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Places

paul womack
Ron Johnson wrote:

> There's also "Street" and "Number" Place types (though I don't remember if they are Custom ones that I created or are built-in). In that case, you could create Number name "326" which is surrounded by Street name "Edinburgh St."
This is exactly how I do it.

I have (however) always struggled to come up with a fully satisfactory solution
for when I have both a number AND a name for a property.

  BugBear

Re: Places

L.W.
I do it like:

hospital xyz, 666, highway to hell, borough, city, state

so i can use hospital or 666 for different purposes.

Am 15.11.2018 um 11:10 schrieb paul womack:
> I have (however) always struggled to come up with a fully satisfactory
> solution
> for when I have both a number AND a name for a property.

Re: Places

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:10:17 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>for when I have both a number AND a name for a property.

I always enclose the Name by the Number.  However, one could just as
easily list the Number as the primary and the name as an Alternate Name.
Or the reverse, of course.

I chose to enclose name by number because of things like;
"Flat 1, 4 Some Street" and "Flat 2, 4 Some Street"

I could just as easily mix methods based on circumstance, but the key
thing, as always (IMO), is to be consistent.

--
 Regards  _
We are the chosen

Re: Places

Peter Flynn
On 15/11/2018 10:10, paul womack wrote:
> I have (however) always struggled to come up with a fully
> satisfactory solution for when I have both a number AND a name for a
> property.

In Ireland this is VERY common.

Also very common in rural and historical addresses is the use of a
townland name alone (no street, no number, no house name). A townland is
a small area of land, perhaps a hill, or a hillside, or a valley, or a
group of fields, or that bit between road and foreshore, with a distinct
name; followed by the name of a larger district or part of a barony.
There are postal codes nowadays but they are not in colloquial use.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, that's very useful.

///Peter

Re: Places

Reinhard John
Hello Peter,

I would use the place typ "Locality" for these townlands.

In general, I recommend the use of the following types
Street
Locality
City
County
State
Postal Code
Country
According to the Gramps documentation <https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_2#Formatting_Places> you can control the output in reports only for these place types.

Regards,
Reinhard

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 15. November 2018 um 13:16 Uhr
> Von: "Peter Flynn" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [Gramps-users] Places
>
> On 15/11/2018 10:10, paul womack wrote:
> > I have (however) always struggled to come up with a fully
> > satisfactory solution for when I have both a number AND a name for a
> > property.
>
> In Ireland this is VERY common.
>
> Also very common in rural and historical addresses is the use of a
> townland name alone (no street, no number, no house name). A townland is
> a small area of land, perhaps a hill, or a hillside, or a valley, or a
> group of fields, or that bit between road and foreshore, with a distinct
> name; followed by the name of a larger district or part of a barony.
> There are postal codes nowadays but they are not in colloquial use.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, that's very useful.
>
> ///Peter

Re: Places

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 13:45:11 +0100
"Reinhard John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Reinhard,

>I would use the place typ "Locality" for these townlands.

I created a custom type, Townland.  The reason being that, in Ireland at
least, they have legal status, so warrant such treatment (to my mind).
Similarly, in the USA (and other countries) Township has status, so
again, the Type merits creation.

I know;  Doing the above can cause issues with reports, but even so.....

I know, I know;  One can go on generating Types ad nauseam.....

That's all.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
You criticize us, you say we're sh*t, but we're up here doin' it

Re: Places

Hi Paul

You CAN add the name of the building as an entry below the Number
level. An entry will display as;

The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC

I  do this for cemeteries where I know its street address. The comma
will not be included between Number and Street regardless of where it
occurs in the display address.

HTH Dave