Places

Re: Places

Connie Mack
Success!!! The trick is, with windows 10 at least, to install python directly onto C then make sure the correct path is shown in the system path variables as C:\Python38, make sure command prompt runs from Windows\System32 then install geofinder, update pip as it suggests and it should be good to go. I now have the geofinder window ready to be configurated . Next I'll follow the rest of the directions and see if it works correctly.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 5:00 PM Connie Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Jaran. Here is what I did. C:\Users\Owner>pip3 uninstall geofinder
Uninstalling geofinder-0.7.1:
  Would remove:
    c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages\*
    c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\scripts\geofinder.exe (it wasn't really there or invisible but I have files set to be visible.)
  Would not remove (might be manually added):( A huge list of unidecode, phonetics and other files in the site packages folder.)

Next uninstalled python, reinstalled as administrator,  making sure it was 64 bit, for all users and add python 3.8 to path.  This is what I did before but this time I chose the custom installation to see what it would allow me to do. Later down the line I had to check install for all uses again and this time it showed a different path or where I could choose my path. I installed into C:\Program Files\Python38 then set the path variable to that. There was another path still there too so I deleted that one.

The next problem is that cmd is set to Users\Owner. I bought the computer used so maybe the person before me created this user account, or maybe it's a Win10 thing. Anyway, I accessed command prompt as administrator and it now has C:\Windows\System32. I upgraded pip, installed geofinder,  "Successfully installed geofinder-0.7.2 phonetics-1.0.5 unidecode-1.1.1" But again,
C:\WINDOWS\system32>geofinder
'geofinder' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Geofinder is not in the Scripts folder. I'll take a break and try again in a bit.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 4:08 PM StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
When you start the installation (from python.org) you shall get a question when you run as admin, if you want to install for all users or just you... but if you already have it installed, you need to uninstall reboot and reinstall to get that question if i dont remember wrong...

But, as long as you shall not use Python for a lot of stuff, you should get it going with the one in "users",

In the system variable settings, there are 2 Fields, the top one is user specific, you need to add the path there if you have install "only" for you.
The lower one is system variables, and you use those if your Python install is in "c:\program files\.."

Also, try to move the Python Path up on the list, you can use the buttons on the right side...

If you have any other versions of Python in the path, the one you installed now must be on the top...

Im sending this private... tired of everyone not knowing windows comming with comments in the email list...

jaran

remember to click "OK" an all screens out and then reboot... it should work

tir. 29. okt. 2019 kl. 20:52 skrev Connie Mack <[hidden email]>:
Jaran, I installed python as admin for all users but don't know what you mean for sure by, "check that you don't have any python path in the "user" section." Both times, python installed into C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\ so I'm confused. I wasn't asked where I wanted it installed either. Maybe I'm getting tired and confused.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 2:25 PM StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Connie,

You should try to uninstall Python and reinstall it for "all users", then check and set the path in the lower part "system variables".
Also check that you don't have any python path in the "user" section.

To be able to run the python install as "system" you need to right click on the installer and select "Run as Administrator"

When you have set your new path, you need to reboot to get it loaded.

Jaran

tir. 29. okt. 2019 kl. 19:05 skrev Connie Mack <[hidden email]>:
It didn't work. I noticed it still had the path from the WindowsApp version, besides the full version, even though that had been uninstalled, so I removed that from the path variables. The paths now read
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\;C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\Lib\Site-packages; but it still doesn't work. I have a feeling this is the notorious windows causing the problem.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 1:24 PM mikeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our emails crossed.   It looks like it's a path issue.  Try adding the following to path:

               c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages

Here are the instructions to update PATH:

On Oct 29, 2019, at 9:52 AM, Connie Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, so I uninstalled the MS Store package of python, installed the full version after choosing "install launcher for all users" and "Add Python 3.8 to path". I got the suggested update for python, entered "pip3 install geofinder --upgrade" in the command prompt. It reported successful but when I entered "geofinder" to open the program it returned, "'geofinder' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I then reran the first command to install and upgrade geofinder, just in case it wasn't installed somehow and the message was, "C:\Users\Owner>pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
Requirement already up-to-date: geofinder in c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages (0.7.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: unidecode in c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages (from geofinder) (1.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: phonetics in c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages (from geofinder) (1.0.5)"

I went to the location to search for it and there is nothing there called geofinder. I also went to advanced settings to see what was in the path. It reads C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\;%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps; It appears it still has the MS package there but is it supposed to have geofinder, unidecode and phonetics path there too?  I'll keep searching for a solution while I keep an eye on this thread.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 10:26 AM Connie Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I had already installed the python Windows store package which seemed like the right choice for my 64bit windows 10, but maybe not. It installed without any input from me so I couldn'd do anything about the path.  After entering the command prompt for geofinder I got this warning I don't know how to address correctly. "WARNING: The script unidecode.exe is installed in 'C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python38\Scripts' which is not on PATH. Consider adding this directory to PATH or, if you prefer to suppress this warning, use --no-warn-script-location." So, should I uninstall the Microsoft package of python and install the full package? I'm sorry for being such a dummy. But I really want to help you test this.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:03 AM mikeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’ve finished the modification to Geofinder so that it can generate Place Enclosures for Gramps.   If you use it, DEFINITELY make a backup first since it has only been tested on my tree.

 It is available here.

Re: Places

Connie Mack
I wish I could delete several of my comments in this thread so I don't waste people's time with my futile attempts to get this working on Windows 10. I only was able to get geofinder to install and actually show up in the Scripts folder when python was installed on C. That won't work though, because geofinder is set to be used from C:\Users\Owner. While I could get geofinder to open, it wouldn't save the places correctly because the path was different than geofinder wanted. But that appears to be the default location these days, likely a microsoft attempt at adding security. Also, Python is not uninstalling as windows reports it is so I know have it installed on C, in C\Program Files and in Users\Owner but geofinder can only be found in the C:\ install. Although cmd reported it was successfully installed at the other two locations, it wasn't to be found there. I'll post again if I ever get this mess cleaned up and successful.

Connie

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 2:05 AM mikeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great! Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for improving it.

On Oct 29, 2019, at 3:21 PM, Connie Mack <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

StoltHD
If Python is install as "User" all Installed script will end up in the Users area (folders), and You must set the Path in the Users Area in the Environment settings, not the Systems Environment.
IF Python is installed with "Run as Administrator" and install for all users (C:\Program Files\Python[xx] as default), you either need to run the cmd as administrator when using Python, or add the Path to the Users Settings.
When using Pip it should go smooth when Python are installed for the user, even if you run cmd just as your user. if it doesn't work you need to run the cmd as administrator when using pip.

If you have install Python as "System" (with admin and for "All Users"), you need to add the Python Path to the Users Environment Settings if you like to run cmd as user (not run as administrator)
If you You run CMD as administrator, it will use the System's Paths settings.
If you shall use Pip or other Python install functions when installed as "system", you must run the cmd as administrator before running pip.

If you use Powershell, it pick up the system path even if you run just as user.

If the Scripts/Packages do any changes on the install folder (where its installed) when Python is installed as "system", you need to run the Scrip/Package/Software as administrator, if it is not "Windows Programmed"

I hope he find time to fix the folder options, it looked like a great software to use in combination with Openrefine... instead of importing the geonames csv to Openrefine and merge it with you "other" csv file, you can do the merge in geofinder, maybe even before cleaning and fixing things in Openrefine (im not sure yet, since I am not testing it as long as I'm forced to store data on C.

This has nothing to do with Geofinder !

The idea of installing software just as a user to get around the "User Access Control (UAC)" on Windows is a workaround/shortcut that even Microsofts own developers has started to do, but it is not "good practice". Its a good idea, but it doesn't work well in practiice, because as I wrote, then every user need to install the same software on the system to run it. and it goes from a "good idea" to "bloating the system" (not reusing code). i.e. if we are 5 users on a computer, each with different profiles, but all using the same software, why should all 5 install the software in there own user profile... and on more and more software today I see this practice, specially on Electron software... and the Software have some size, some of them are 100-300 MB downloads and takes up over 1GB when installed and often with a database in the same folder as the software runs from...
In addition software can actually install itself and a lot of additional apps this way, without you having any control, and if you work on a cooperate computer, its a reason why you are not allowed to install software, and on you own computer most people have admin rights for their user anyway, its just a simple question to run the installer the proper way...

Shit, this problem really triggered me... i'm really sorry, just had to post this...

Jaran

ons. 30. okt. 2019 kl. 14:08 skrev Connie Mack <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi Connie (and everyone else)

I got it installed!!!

I first had python3.8 installed  under c:\programs files\

Python really does not like to be there as it wants to write to its
directory and of course without running as administrator it can't. I
uninstalled and reinstalled to its default location. Made sure that in
the install, the add the location to the path. Once install was
complete there was an administrator function to shorten or override
long name?? So I selected that and everything seemed good to go.

I placed the uncompressed GeoFinder-master folder within the python
program files at...

c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages

I then opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...

pip3 install geofinder --upgrade

Python manipulated the geofinder files but the key file is in the program folder
...\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe

I made a shortcut for geofinder.exe on my desktop and voila... GeoFinder runs.

I have not used the GeoFinder yet. Getting it to run was a major
milestone which I wanted to share.

HTH Dave

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM Connie Mack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The next problem is that cmd is set to Users\Owner. I bought the computer used so maybe the person before me created this user account, or maybe it's a Win10 thing. Anyway, I accessed command prompt as administrator and it now has C:\Windows\System32. I upgraded pip, installed geofinder,  "Successfully installed geofinder-0.7.2 phonetics-1.0.5 unidecode-1.1.1" But again,
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32>geofinder
>>> 'geofinder' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>> operable program or batch file.
>>>
>>> Geofinder is not in the Scripts folder. I'll take a break and try again in a bit.

Re: Places

Connie Mack
Thanks for your time, Dave. I've tried everything every way I can imagine but I can't even get my machine to delete python correctly. All the folders remain and I have to pick them up and take them to the trash. I used Ccleaner to safely clean up the registry. Mine is 64bit by the way, so got that version of python. So, first screen of python install, both install launcher for all users and Add Python 3.8 to Path are checked. When I just went with the default it didn't work. So, custom installation shows me 2 screens later that Install for all users will install into C:\Program Files\Python38 Agreed, that doesn't work. Not having all users box checked will install to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38 which will require write permissions, which I have. After install I checked the user variable paths for owner and find
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\Scripts\
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38

I deleted the paths I entered when I tried to install in Users\Owner. I used cmd to install geofinder but it is not there even though it says it is. There isn't even the phonetics or unidecode folder that was there when installed successfully straight into C. I can't even see straight anymore so going to bed.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The next problem is that cmd is set to Users\Owner. I bought the computer used so maybe the person before me created this user account, or maybe it's a Win10 thing. Anyway, I accessed command prompt as administrator and it now has C:\Windows\System32. I upgraded pip, installed geofinder,  "Successfully installed geofinder-0.7.2 phonetics-1.0.5 unidecode-1.1.1" But again,
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32>geofinder
>>> 'geofinder' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>>> operable program or batch file.
>>>
>>> Geofinder is not in the Scripts folder. I'll take a break and try again in a bit.

Re: Places

Dave Scheipers
When I first uninstalled from above, from the Windows start, I
right-clicked on the Python 3.8 and after "uninstall" it took me to
the Windows control panel uninstall. I uninstalled both the Python
3.8.0 and the Python Launcher. This left no residual folders.

I too am on 64. I downloaded the Windows x86-64 executable installer
and installed. I just checked, and the other user on this computer
does NOT have access to Python. I remember checking the "For All" box
with default installation but with the AppData\local installation, it
is only available in my user profile.

I manually downloaded the geofinder in the zip file and I manually put
the folder it contained into the folder
AppData\local\programs\python\python38\\lib\site-packages

I never ran cmd to do anything

I opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...

pip3 install geofinder --upgrade

---
The main things, Python is installed at
C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\

That the "Set Path" box was checked at install

With Python installed, opening the Windows System Command Prompt, at
the prompt, typing py loads python. >>> should appear. This proves
that Python is included in the Path. Close the window and Python.

Manually place the geofinder-master folder at
c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages

Open a new Windows System Command Prompt and run

pip3 install geofinder --upgrade

The file this command creates will/should be
c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe

Creating a shortcut for this file will/should run the program.

---
Other than getting a twelve year old tech support, I do not know what
to suggest.

Dave

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 8:36 PM Connie Mack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > I wish I could delete several of my comments in this thread so I don't waste people's time with my futile attempts to get this working on Windows 10. I only was able to get geofinder to install and actually show up in the Scripts folder when python was installed on C. That won't work though, because geofinder is set to be used from C:\Users\Owner. While I could get geofinder to open, it wouldn't save the places correctly because the path was different than geofinder wanted. But that appears to be the default location these days, likely a microsoft attempt at adding security. Also, Python is not uninstalling as windows reports it is so I know have it installed on C, in C\Program Files and in Users\Owner but geofinder can only be found in the C:\ install. Although cmd reported it was successfully installed at the other two locations, it wasn't to be found there. I'll post again if I ever get this mess cleaned up and successful.

The files I used I found here

https://github.com/corb555/GeoFinder

There's a green button Clone or Download then either Clone to desktop
or download Zip file. I took the zip file and in that was a folder
geofinder-master. Put the geofinder-master folder  in
Lib\\site-packages

And how much actual genealogical research have you done this week?

HTH Dave

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:22 AM Connie Mack
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning Dave. This thread got so large that my message was rejected due to the previous messages making it to large for the mail list. So, I deleted all but your last message. I had done everything exactly like you up to the point of finding the geofinder file to download and unpack. My buddy Google found it here, I put it in the site-packages folder and unpacked it there. But when I did the upgrade command it did NOT put geofinder.exe in the Scripts folder. I looked everywhere and the exe file was not created. Was my mistake unpacking it to where you manually carried it? Just checking, are you on windows 10?
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 8:31 AM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When I first uninstalled from above, from the Windows start, I
>> right-clicked on the Python 3.8 and after "uninstall" it took me to
>> the Windows control panel uninstall. I uninstalled both the Python
>> 3.8.0 and the Python Launcher. This left no residual folders.
>>
>> I too am on 64. I downloaded the Windows x86-64 executable installer
>> and installed. I just checked, and the other user on this computer
>> does NOT have access to Python. I remember checking the "For All" box
>> with default installation but with the AppData\local installation, it
>> is only available in my user profile.
>>
>> I manually downloaded the geofinder in the zip file and I manually put
>> the folder it contained into the folder
>> AppData\local\programs\python\python38\\lib\site-packages
>>
>> I never ran cmd to do anything
>>
>> I opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...
>>
>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>
>> ---
>> The main things, Python is installed at
>> C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\
>>
>> That the "Set Path" box was checked at install
>>
>> With Python installed, opening the Windows System Command Prompt, at
>> the prompt, typing py loads python. >>> should appear. This proves
>> that Python is included in the Path. Close the window and Python.
>>
>> Manually place the geofinder-master folder at
>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages
>>
>> Open a new Windows System Command Prompt and run
>>
>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>
>> The file this command creates will/should be
>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe
>>
>> Creating a shortcut for this file will/should run the program.

Re: Places

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I’m not sure if Geofinder will run correctly if you don’t use Pip to install it. I suspect you may have two copies of Pip installed - one from the current Python install and one from the previous Python.

> [...]
>>>
>>> I opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> ---
>>> The main things, Python is installed at
>>> C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\
>>>
>>> That the "Set Path" box was checked at install
>>>
>>> With Python installed, opening the Windows System Command Prompt, at
>>> the prompt, typing py loads python. >>> should appear. This proves
>>> that Python is included in the Path. Close the window and Python.
>>>
>>> Manually place the geofinder-master folder at
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages
>>>
>>> Open a new Windows System Command Prompt and run
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> The file this command creates will/should be
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe
>>>
>>> Creating a shortcut for this file will/should run the program.

I was able to run

pip3 install geofinder --upgrade

and python created geofinder.exe in the Scripts folder while creating
a geofinder folder (different than geofinder-master) and a
geofinder-0.7.4.dist-info folder in lib\site-packages.  Made a
shortcut of geofinder.exe on the desktop and the program launches.
The hard part was finding out where to place the raw file folder so
python could do something with it.

Not quite sure how to work it yet or if I will continue to slowly and
methodically flesh out each place record to take advantage of the
dynamic hierarchy.  I just finished the dynamic hierarchies for Idaho
and Utah.

But reading the thread and watching the struggles that Connie was
having I explored the setup and figured out how to do it. It took me
several tries. There's no Python for Dummies book especially in where
Python wanted to install. It is not the expected location for a major
program. And no direction where to put someone's code files to be
compiled. Only reading the readme file in site-packages told me this
was the spot.

With all that, Thank You for creating the application,  Dave

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM corb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m not sure if Geofinder will run correctly if you don’t use Pip to install it. I suspect you may have two copies of Pip installed - one from the current Python install and one from the previous Python.
>
> > On Oct 31, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The files I used I found here
> >
> > https://github.com/corb555/GeoFinder
> >
> > There's a green button Clone or Download then either Clone to desktop
> > or download Zip file. I took the zip file and in that was a folder
> > geofinder-master. Put the geofinder-master folder  in
> > Lib\\site-packages
> >
> > And how much actual genealogical research have you done this week?
> >
> > HTH Dave
> >
> >> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 10:22 AM Connie Mack
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Good morning Dave. This thread got so large that my message was rejected due to the previous messages making it to large for the mail list. So, I deleted all but your last message. I had done everything exactly like you up to the point of finding the geofinder file to download and unpack. My buddy Google found it here, I put it in the site-packages folder and unpacked it there. But when I did the upgrade command it did NOT put geofinder.exe in the Scripts folder. I looked everywhere and the exe file was not created. Was my mistake unpacking it to where you manually carried it? Just checking, are you on windows 10?

Re: Places

StoltHD
While I'm waiting for the downloads to finish...
Here is the Cookbook for installing Python for all users and get this to run with both "run as administrator" and as user.

1. Run the Python 64-bit Installation as Administrator (Right click)
2. Install to C:\Program Files\Python38\ (if you install Python 3.8.x)
3. Select "Install for all users on this computer"
4. Select "Set Path" (if you like to)
5. Let the install run

6. Go into System Environment and add the Path where you install Python and to the Scripts folder to your USERS Environment (Top part)

"C:\Program Files\Python38\" and "C:\Program Files\Python38\Scripts\" (it needs to be two entries in the Path!) it will look like this in a cmd window if you run "path" PATH=C:\ProgramData\DockerDesktop\version-bin;C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin;C:\Program Files\Python37\;C:\Program Files\Python37\Scripts\;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;

As you can see I also have Python 2.7.x installed, but since Python 3 is "first" in the path its whats being used...

7. Then open a cmd windows as administrator
8. Run "Pip install geofinder --upgrade"
9. Run geofinder (in same window)
10. close Geofinder
11. Open a cmd window (not as administrator)
12. Run geofinder
13. if you have followed this instructions it should run.
14. close geofinder and add your data to the folders described

15. Now you can do if you like create a shortcut to Geofinder, open Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\Python38\Scripts\ , there you will find geofinder.exe
16. Create a shortcut to your desktop by rightclick and hold, then drag the file to your desktop, and release, then select "Create Shortcut"
17. When you have copied and followed the instructions for the different files used by Geofinder, you can just start the program with the Shortcut...

tor. 31. okt. 2019 kl. 18:08 skrev corb via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>>> I opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> ---
>>> The main things, Python is installed at
>>> C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\
>>>
>>> That the "Set Path" box was checked at install
>>>
>>> With Python installed, opening the Windows System Command Prompt, at
>>> the prompt, typing py loads python. >>> should appear. This proves
>>> that Python is included in the Path. Close the window and Python.
>>>
>>> Manually place the geofinder-master folder at
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages
>>>
>>> Open a new Windows System Command Prompt and run
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> The file this command creates will/should be
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe
>>>
>>> Creating a shortcut for this file will/should run the program.

I'm just wondering...

does anyone acrtually read what I write?

Jaran

tor. 31. okt. 2019 kl. 20:06 skrev StoltHD <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>>> I opened the Windows Command Prompt and ran...
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> ---
>>> The main things, Python is installed at
>>> C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38\
>>>
>>> That the "Set Path" box was checked at install
>>>
>>> With Python installed, opening the Windows System Command Prompt, at
>>> the prompt, typing py loads python. >>> should appear. This proves
>>> that Python is included in the Path. Close the window and Python.
>>>
>>> Manually place the geofinder-master folder at
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\lib\site-packages
>>>
>>> Open a new Windows System Command Prompt and run
>>>
>>> pip3 install geofinder --upgrade
>>>
>>> The file this command creates will/should be
>>> c:\user\%user%\appdata\local\programs\python\python38\Scripts\geofinder.exe
>>>
>>> Creating a shortcut for this file will/should run the program.

Yes Jaran

I almost always read it. I do not always understand it.

But I read your last post and re worked everything.

I uninstalled Python from the local\programs folder and did the
reinstall to c:\program files\Python38

#4 check the box to Set the Path

With the path set, I did not have to do #6

from #9 onward I located geofinder.exe in c:\program
files\Python38\Scripts and created a shortcut on the desktop.

Geofinder runs.

And so everyone knows where to put the raw geofinder-master folder, I
created a Python folder in c;\user\%user%\ folder. Apparently where
these files are located are not too particular.

Remember, this is Python for Dummies.

Thank you, Dave

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:25 PM StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm just wondering...
>
> does anyone acrtually read what I write?
>
> Jaran
>
> tor. 31. okt. 2019 kl. 20:06 skrev StoltHD <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> @Connie Mack
>>
>> While I'm waiting for the downloads to finish...
>> Here is the Cookbook for installing Python for all users and get this to run with both "run as administrator" and as user.
>>
>> 1. Run the Python 64-bit Installation as Administrator (Right click)
>> 2. Install to C:\Program Files\Python38\ (if you install Python 3.8.x)
>> 3. Select "Install for all users on this computer"
>> 4. Select "Set Path" (if you like to)
>> 5. Let the install run
>>
>> 6. Go into System Environment and add the Path where you install Python and to the Scripts folder to your USERS Environment (Top part)
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Python38\" and "C:\Program Files\Python38\Scripts\" (it needs to be two entries in the Path!) it will look like this in a cmd window if you run "path" PATH=C:\ProgramData\DockerDesktop\version-bin;C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\Resources\bin;C:\Program Files\Python37\;C:\Program Files\Python37\Scripts\;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;
>>
>> As you can see I also have Python 2.7.x installed, but since Python 3 is "first" in the path its whats being used...
>>
>> 7. Then open a cmd windows as administrator
>> 8. Run "Pip install geofinder --upgrade"
>> 9. Run geofinder (in same window)
>> 10. close Geofinder
>> 11. Open a cmd window (not as administrator)
>> 12. Run geofinder
>> 13. if you have followed this instructions it should run.
>> 14. close geofinder and add your data to the folders described
>>
>> 15. Now you can do if you like create a shortcut to Geofinder, open Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\Python38\Scripts\ , there you will find geofinder.exe
>> 16. Create a shortcut to your desktop by rightclick and hold, then drag the file to your desktop, and release, then select "Create Shortcut"
>> 17. When you have copied and followed the instructions for the different files used by Geofinder, you can just start the program with the Shortcut...

>> tor. 31. okt. 2019 kl. 18:08 skrev corb via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I’m not sure if Geofinder will run correctly if you don’t use Pip to install it. I suspect you may have two copies of Pip installed - one from the current Python install and one from the previous Python.

Re: Places

Peter Merchant
On 31/10/2019 19:54, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Yes Jaran
>
> I almost always read it. I do not always understand it.
>
> But I read your last post and re worked everything.
>
> I uninstalled Python from the local\programs folder and did the
> reinstall to c:\program files\Python38
>
> #4 check the box to Set the Path
>
> With the path set, I did not have to do #6
>
> from #9 onward I located geofinder.exe in c:\program
> files\Python38\Scripts and created a shortcut on the desktop.
>
> Geofinder runs.
>
> And so everyone knows where to put the raw geofinder-master folder, I
> created a Python folder in c;\user\%user%\ folder. Apparently where
> these files are located are not too particular.
>
> Remember, this is Python for Dummies.
>
> Thank you, Dave
>
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:25 PM StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm just wondering...
>>
>> does anyone actually read what I write?

I have been reading them too, but this morning I wondered if they were relevant to me, and looked at the initial post - There are 72 posts on this topic now - and realized that they are not. I have been using enclosures for a long time now and am fairly sure that all of my places are in the correct format.

Peter M.

Re: Places

Connie Mack
Mike, this is a great tool, I'm sure. Thank you for all your hard work. I want to thank Jaran for all his help in troubleshooting with me in the background. Also thanks to Dave for a good work around when things aren't cooperating. I thought I had success but there must be something bad wrong with my computer. I had several roadblocks I overcame, most of which was my security, Comodo. It wasn't enough to just shut off the firewall and antivirus or to write in exceptions and ignore rules (I may not have wrote the correct ones). I also had to stop the other components, especially the auto containment feature because I started getting WinError 87 repeatedly and those other features ran even with the the firewall and antivirus shut off. It was also keeping me from getting all the way through what needed to be done, even without that error. Finally, I didn't realize that I had to take the txt files out of the Countries and Alternative names folders once they were unzipped and place those txt files in the Geoname_data folder. I through out those extra folders and the countries loaded correctly.

I followed Dave's method but it wasn't working on that first try with python in the user location so put it in Program Files. It built the database after bringing in my gramps file and  stuck at scanning to previous position, even though this is my first run. So, I uninstalled again, put it in  C:\Users\(my User Account name)\AppData\Local\Programs\ , the geofinder master folder, within the Python Lib/site-packages folder. But it is stuck at scanning to previous position when it hasn't even started to go through the place choices yet. I've taken up enough of everyone's time but wanted to let you all know that if there are problems, look first at the security software.

Kindest Regards,
Connie

Re: Places

Thanks for everyone's fantastic feedback and suggestions! I have published the following enhancements:

Geofinder version 0.8  is now available with the following enhancements:

NOTE: This version will automatically rebuild the database in a new format to support UTF-8 place names

1. Data Folder Location - You can now specify where to put the geoname_data folder.  When GeoFinder starts up it will ask you for the folder location.  Note: if you have already run geofinder and want to move the folder, do the following.  While GeoFinder is NOT running, move the folder "geoname_data" and all contents from your HOME directory to whatever location you prefer.  The next time you start GeoFinder, it will ask you for the folder location.
2. Geofinder now supports UTF-8 place names, e.g. Gößwein.
 Note - this has not been fully implemented for counties and country names. (Implementing those will not require a database rebuild).
3. Improved search implementation - Geofinder now uses wider criteria to find more matches
4. Improved ranking implementation -
5. Faster performance writing the CSV output
6. Support for advanced search. You can now do a raw search of the database and filter by feature code and country code.  For example the following displays every Church in Great Britain with Lady in the name.

*Lady*, --country=gb, --feature=CH

To install (or upgrade):
pip3 install geofinder —upgrade    (that’s two dashes before upgrade)

Geofinder version 0.7.5 enhancements:
1. added support for local language country names (e.g. Norge, Sverige, Espana, etc)
2. improved lookup for adm2 names
3. general improvements for match scoring

Geofinder Documentation:

On Nov 1, 2019, at 1:20 AM, Peter Merchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 31/10/2019 19:54, Dave Scheipers wrote:
Yes Jaran

I almost always read it. I do not always understand it.

But I read your last post and re worked everything.

I uninstalled Python from the local\programs folder and did the
reinstall to c:\program files\Python38

Re: Places

GRAMPS - User mailing list
If you're not completely sick of troubleshooting, can you run the following and send me the log:

geofinder > geofinder.log 2>&1