Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

catoni52
Greetings:  I have an Eee PC 8G model running Xandros Linux. I would rather
not switch to Ubuntu because I have heard of some people having problems
with various things after doing so. I simply would like to load Gramps onto
the Eee, and run it.
  But I know nothing of computers except emailing and surfing the net. I see
instructions for running Gramps on the Eee, but they look like instructions
that a computer whiz would understand.. Like the below instructions, they
read like another language to me.
backup simpliui.rc... what is that? How do I back it up?    SublimePorte's
Launcher Tools ??  Install to where? And what is it?
    run it - sh path to file/pimpmyee.sh     It's Greek to me...
   chose 4 to enable extra software repositories and create a preferences
file reducing the liklihood of updating files from the wrong repository.

Then, in a terminal window, sudo apt-get install gramps

   What is a terminal window, and where can I find one? What is sudo
apt-get??  To me it is an strange language.

    I'm sorry I do not understand what all that is about or what to do.

   All I need is to download Gramps to my Eee, and use the program. I'm
really not a computer whiz.Perhaps download it to my windows desktop and
load it on a thumb flash drive for my Xandros Linux Eee?
   I would like to keep Xandros on my Eee if possible.
  Should I take it to a computer shop and get someone to download and
install Gramps for me?

   To anyone that might be able to help, my very sincerest thanks, and my
apologies for being such a beginner at all this.

   Very best regards,  Robert Charles Williamson

Re: Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

Benny Malengier
Dear Robert,

you have bought a nice netbook. Unfortunately, linux land consists of many different flavours, and the one installed on the Eee is not much liked by many people.
You will gain a lot by installing ubuntu on it, and the guide to do it is very good:

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

This gives you security updates and a very well maintained distribution which much more momentum than Xandros has. You only need a 1Gb usb stick: http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Get_Ubuntu_Eee

Once you have Ubuntu, you go to the 'Add Software' program, and select GRAMPS and install it. You can leave it with that, or upgrade.
For that, you download the Ubuntu version of the last GRAMPS ( http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25770&package_id=109309&release_id=629203 ) and right click on it, selecting install, to obtain this version.

WIth backup, people just mean you save your data to a usb stick, another computer, or on a cd/dvd.
The commands you see in the guides look difficult, but they are the fastest way of communicating . Saying, open program such, go to menu such, select option such, is a lot more work to type, and leads to problems more easy (translations, different versions of programm). Just giving a command to give to your computer is much faster, and with copy and paste, the user cannot type an error.
The commands issued to your linux computer directly (so without the use of an intermediate layer in the form of another program) are done through a terminal window or command shell. In Ubuntu the program is called 'Terminal', in a KDE desktop, the application is called 'Konsole'.

Benny

PS: you do off course understand that whatever you do, you hold all responsibility ;-)

2008/10/31 <[hidden email]>
[...]

jerome
Maybe you can share your experience on :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_on_the_Eee

Jérôme

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> [...]
>     load it on a thumb flash drive for my Xandros Linux Eee?
>       I would like to keep Xandros on my Eee if possible.
>      Should I take it to a computer shop and get someone to download and
>     install Gramps for me?
>
>       To anyone that might be able to help, my very sincerest thanks, and my
>     apologies for being such a beginner at all this.
>
>       Very best regards,  Robert Charles Williamson
>                                  [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>

>     challenge
>     Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>     great prizes
>     Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>     the world
>     http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>

Re: Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

Billie Walsh
On 10/30/2008 [hidden email] wrote:
>  Greetings:  I have an Eee PC 8G model running Xandros Linux. I would
rather
>  not switch to Ubuntu because I have heard of some people having problems
>  with various things after doing so. I simply would like to load Gramps
onto
>  the Eee, and run it.
>   But I know nothing of computers except emailing and surfing the net.
I see
>  instructions for running Gramps on the Eee, but they look like
instructions

>  that a computer whiz would understand.. Like the below instructions, they
>  read like another language to me.
>  backup simpliui.rc... what is that? How do I back it up?
>  SublimePorte's
>  Launcher Tools ??  Install to where? And what is it?
>     run it - sh path to file/pimpmyee.sh     It's Greek to me...
>    chose 4 to enable extra software repositories and create a preferences
>  file reducing the liklihood of updating files from the wrong repository.
>
>  Then, in a terminal window, sudo apt-get install gramps
>
>    What is a terminal window, and where can I find one? What is sudo
>  apt-get??  To me it is an strange language.
>
>     I'm sorry I do not understand what all that is about or what to
>  do.
>
>    All I need is to download Gramps to my Eee, and use the program.
>  I'm
>  really not a computer whiz.Perhaps download it to my windows desktop
>  and
>  load it on a thumb flash drive for my Xandros Linux Eee?
>    I would like to keep Xandros on my Eee if possible.
>   Should I take it to a computer shop and get someone to download and
>  install Gramps for me?
>
>    To anyone that might be able to help, my very sincerest thanks,
>  and my apologies for being such a beginner at all this.
>
>    Very best regards,  Robert Charles Williamson
>                               [hidden email]

WARNING - THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS:
When I wanted to install Gramps I added debian.org repos to synaptic and
installed from there.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALL MARK DEBIAN.ORG TO NOT BE USED!!!

It installed and works perfectly. The reason to mark debian.org as
unusable in synaptic is because synaptic will want to update EVERYTHING
on your computer and break it. Not a total loss because you can reload
from the restore disk, but......................

See warnings at: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos?s=adding%20repos
Don't bother adding the repos listed on the page because half of them
aren't available any longer.

One the other hand, there's a fully customized version of Ubuntu for the
Eee available at
http://www.eeebuntu.org/  . I have a freshly burned CD ready to try
installation just haven't tried it yet. [ mine is a 4G with an 8gig SD
card for the second "drive" ] It might be a good idea to get rid of this
crappy xandros system.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Benny Malengier wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> you have bought a nice netbook. Unfortunately, linux land consists of
> many different flavours, and the one installed on the Eee is not much
> liked by many people.
> You will gain a lot by installing ubuntu on it, and the guide to do it
> is very good:
>
> http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/
>
> This gives you security updates and a very well maintained
> distribution which much more momentum than Xandros has. You only need
> a 1Gb usb stick:
> http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Get_Ubuntu_Eee

I never could get the script to create the USB stick to work. On the
other hand I have an external DVD drive so I burned a disk.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Re: Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

David Rowell
Message: 4
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 04:03:13 +0000
From: <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Gramps-users] Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps
To: [hidden email]

Greetings:  I have an Eee PC 8G model running Xandros Linux. I would rather not switch to Ubuntu because I have heard of some people having problems with various things after doing so. I simply would like to load Gramps onto the Eee, and run it.
  But I know nothing of computers except emailing and surfing the net. I see instructions for running Gramps on the Eee, but they look like nstructions that a computer whiz would understand.

Sure can.  First of all you shouldn't assume that just because you can turn the EeePC on you won't need to learn anything else! ;-)  Google is your friend!

Go to http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:beginners_guide for simple step by step directions regarding those tools you mentioned.  BTW that wiki is just chock full of good information.

On the Gramps wiki you'll find more detailed directions specifically for your machine  http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_on_the_Eee

After working your way through those references ask more specific questions here.

Dave Rowell - A computer without Windoze is like a chocolate cake without mustard!

Re: Please, Can Someone Help with Eee PC & Gramps

Laura Mellen

Hello Robert,

I am relatively new to the world of Linux and have to agree that most wikis are not exactly written with the beginner in mind.

That said, I want to encourage you to not be afraid to try some things with your new Eee. I too have an Eee and although it's not my first try at Linux, I find it so much fun! The more I tinker (and yes, sometimes it's very frustrating) the more I appreciate what this little machine can do.

I am running GRAMPS on my Eee but I am not running Xandros that my machine came installed with. I reformatted (wiped-out) my SSD drive and installed Ubuntu-Eee on it instead.

I have not had a lot of time to work with GRAMPS on my Eee or my desktop for that matter, but so far I enjoy what I do see.

I found oftentimes as a newbie, Googling something leads me to more specific answers on the Internet than some Wikis hold. As someone mentioned though, be careful! There are many Linux versions that the little Eee can run and instructions that pertain to one version might not pertain to Xandros on your system.

It all has not been without frustration but I wish you the best and give you the advice to read as much as you can about the Eee and GRAMPS. I sometimes find it helpful to print articles out for reference later on. You might also wish to use your new Eee for a while and develope a comfort zone before you try and tweak it.

Sorry I can't offer you specific advice, Benny has suggested some nice things to get you started. Want to wish you all the best!
Laura