Plugin Manager Enhanced roll-in on the Roadmap

Plugin Manager Enhanced roll-in on the Roadmap

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
Is deprecating the original Plugin Manager (in favor of the Plugin Manager Enhanced) something that ought to be put on the Roadmap?

The Enhanced version seems to have become the de facto tool.

Such a change could be the right time to fix the huge amount of inconsistency in the wiki about plugins. Plus the Enhanced being able to check updates eliminates the whole need to bring the Preferences:General tab into every Install/Upgrade discussion. (Although the 'What to check' & 'Do not ask' preferences being invisible can lead to confusion.)

Some of the inconsistency is trivial (like the preferred term: addon, AddOn, add-on, plugin, PlugIn, plug-in. Or 'Gramplet' being used as a synonym rather than as a 'type' in the plugin lists.) But other inconsistencies are more significant ... like the names of specific addons differing when listed in the Original versus Enhanced managers. Or perhaps that's just between how they are listed when checking for updates and how they are listed & categorized in the Manager after downloading. And their listings in the disparate tables of the wiki, or their Help linked page in the wiki.

(Frankly, I'm tangled up by the variations I've found in these different references. It was worsened when I went to snap a screen capture for a wiki elucidation. But then discovered I was capturing an add-on screen instead of the built-in standard. So I reverted Managers, captured... and was faced with inconsistent listings. There were too many add-ons, too many long names, I was forced to transcribe because Cut&Paste wasn't supported, I couldn't find the Enhanced version to re-install. So I gave up on that bit of documentation.)

Differing names mean users must wonder if they are installing the right version or even the same addon.

If a switch-over IS added to the Roadmap, it would be helpful if the term "Add-on Manager" was chosen for the new implementation.  Not because that is any more technically correct... but because it is a clue which version is being referred to conversationally in eMails and because searching wiki content to be harmonized becomes easier.

Harmonizing the wiki would necessitate touching a LOT of pages. So making searches easier would be helpful. But the harmonization effort would also be a good opportunity to slim down those redundancies & digressions too. (The detailed instructions for adding, removing & managing add-ons don't need to be sprinkled in so many places.  We can just link to the appropriate subsection of authoritative wiki page or use a 'Transclusion' [MediaWiki's flavor of 'include'] template.)

( As an example of the wiki ambiguity, there an 'plugin' variant for the {{Template:Third-party_addon}}. Fortunately, that {{Template:Third-party_plugin}} is just an alias that calls {{Template:Third-party_addon}} instead.  But unfortunately, our wiki Translators are finding template translation to be misleading complex. So there's a mangled {{Third-party_plugin/de}} to be resolved.)

-Brian

Re: Plugin Manager Enhanced roll-in on the Roadmap

prculley
There should not be any difference in the addon/plugin names between the two managers, both are derived from the same underlying data.  If you have specific examples of this please let us know.

The "Plugin Manager Enhanced" is found in the Edit/Preferences "Check for updated addons" under the "Plugin lib" category, if you want to reinstall it.

In the past, when the "Plugin Manager Enhanced" was under development, it was rejected for inclusion in Gramps, which is why it was released as an addon.

"plugins" come in two types, those that are already included with Gramps, and those that can be added later (addons).  So an addon is also a plugin.  Perhaps that is why the terminology seems a bit difficult to follow.

Paul C.

On 25/09/2019 18:19, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-devel wrote:
If a switch-over IS added to the Roadmap, it would be helpful if the term "Add-on Manager" was chosen for the new implementation.  Not because that is any more technically correct... but because it is a clue which version is being referred to conversationally in eMails and because searching wiki content to be harmonized becomes easier.

Writing a new Addons Manager is on my To Do list.  The focus will be on providing a simple interface of installing and uninstalling third-party addons.

As Paul already pointed out, plugins consist of both core functionality and third-party contributions.  I see plugin management as more of a power user or developer functionality.  My current thinking is that plugin management (perhaps the extended version) should be available via an "Advanced..." button.