[Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Thomas Weichmann
If this has already been discussed and I missed it sorry, please excuse this
post:

Since GRAMPS went to 3.x we have lost some functionality in the way GRAMPS
restricts data on living people.  This was done for a good reason, but
affects lots of people (read me haha).  I respect the developer's time and
efforts so I was thinking about the easiest way to fix this problem.  You can
have GRAMPS include the name, but no further detail about living people
simply by changing 1 line of code:

Line 438 of gramps-3.0.1/src/gen/proxy change to:
    new_name.set_first_name(old_name.get_first_name())

So my question is:

Does it make sense to EVER restrict names to LIVING?  Why not EXCLUDE living
people if you don't want their names published?  It doesn't seem to add any
additional information to simply say Person "Living" had 2 children
named "Living" and "Living".  Really doesn't seem to help here.

So I am hoping to get feedback from users to see if they would rather see the
following:

--------------------------------
Option A (as is)

INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
events etc

RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but re-name all
living to "Living" and omit all of their events etc.

EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

--------------------------------

Option B (Changed Default - small effort from devs)

INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
events etc

RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but leave living
people's names in place but omit all of their events etc.

EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

--------------------------------

Option C (Add options - Ask for lots of dev time)

INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
events etc

RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people.  Have options to
restrict names on all living to "Living" or leave names in, options to omit
all of their events etc or anything in between

EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Laura Mellen

I like option B.
Thanks!
Laura

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 20:29:24 -0400
> Subject: [Gramps-users] [Poll] Excluding Info from Web
>
> If this has already been discussed and I missed it sorry, please excuse this
> post:
>
> Since GRAMPS went to 3.x we have lost some functionality in the way GRAMPS
> restricts data on living people.  This was done for a good reason, but
> affects lots of people (read me haha).  I respect the developer's time and
> efforts so I was thinking about the easiest way to fix this problem.  You can
> have GRAMPS include the name, but no further detail about living people
> simply by changing 1 line of code:
>
> Line 438 of gramps-3.0.1/src/gen/proxy change to:
>     new_name.set_first_name(old_name.get_first_name())
>
> So my question is:
>
> Does it make sense to EVER restrict names to LIVING?  Why not EXCLUDE living
> people if you don't want their names published?  It doesn't seem to add any
> additional information to simply say Person "Living" had 2 children
> named "Living" and "Living".  Really doesn't seem to help here.
>
> So I am hoping to get feedback from users to see if they would rather see the
> following:
>
> --------------------------------
> Option A (as is)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but re-name all
> living to "Living" and omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option B (Changed Default - small effort from devs)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but leave living
> people's names in place but omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option C (Add options - Ask for lots of dev time)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people.  Have options to
> restrict names on all living to "Living" or leave names in, options to omit
> all of their events etc or anything in between
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Tony Gordon
Tom

It is not uncommon for web pages produced in other software to have
living people labelled 'Living' and it can be helpful in research to
know how many people there were in a family even if you don't know their
names. I have some living relatives who would not want their names
published (and I am sure others would also), so I would like this option
kept. I also like the option of publishing the names only. So I favour
adding further options to what we have i.e. your option C.

Tony

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 20:29 -0400, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> If this has already been discussed and I missed it sorry, please excuse this
> post:
>
> Since GRAMPS went to 3.x we have lost some functionality in the way GRAMPS
> restricts data on living people.  This was done for a good reason, but
> affects lots of people (read me haha).  I respect the developer's time and
> efforts so I was thinking about the easiest way to fix this problem.  You can
> have GRAMPS include the name, but no further detail about living people
> simply by changing 1 line of code:
>
> Line 438 of gramps-3.0.1/src/gen/proxy change to:
>     new_name.set_first_name(old_name.get_first_name())
>
> So my question is:
>
> Does it make sense to EVER restrict names to LIVING?  Why not EXCLUDE living
> people if you don't want their names published?  It doesn't seem to add any
> additional information to simply say Person "Living" had 2 children
> named "Living" and "Living".  Really doesn't seem to help here.
>
> So I am hoping to get feedback from users to see if they would rather see the
> following:
>
> --------------------------------
> Option A (as is)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but re-name all
> living to "Living" and omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option B (Changed Default - small effort from devs)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but leave living
> people's names in place but omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option C (Add options - Ask for lots of dev time)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people.  Have options to
> restrict names on all living to "Living" or leave names in, options to omit
> all of their events etc or anything in between
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Michael Lightfoot
On Tuesday 03 June 2008 18:26:56 Tony Gordon wrote:

> Tom
>
> It is not uncommon for web pages produced in other software to have
> living people labelled 'Living' and it can be helpful in research to
> know how many people there were in a family even if you don't know their
> names. I have some living relatives who would not want their names
> published (and I am sure others would also), so I would like this option
> kept. I also like the option of publishing the names only. So I favour
> adding further options to what we have i.e. your option C.

I agree.  I would like it as an extra option - option C.

--
====
Michael Lightfoot

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Benny Malengier

2008/6/3 Michael Lightfoot <[hidden email]>:
On Tuesday 03 June 2008 18:26:56 Tony Gordon wrote:
> Tom
>
> It is not uncommon for web pages produced in other software to have
> living people labelled 'Living' and it can be helpful in research to
> know how many people there were in a family even if you don't know their
> names. I have some living relatives who would not want their names
> published (and I am sure others would also), so I would like this option
> kept. I also like the option of publishing the names only. So I favour
> adding further options to what we have i.e. your option C.

I agree.  I would like it as an extra option - option C.

This is a discussion that has come up many times, and too often developers have been burnt by allowing more than the most strict privacy rules.
Somehow, users making the mistake of allowing too much in the webpage on generation blame the developers for this shortcoming, reducing the fun in developing.
The present options in GRAMPS 3.0 reflect this state and the reluctance against options some users don't grasp. Fact is that if one person does not want his name included, the work for option C is useless, as this one person decides you as a user must apply the rules of the present available option A (eg a person in quarrel with his parents, ...).
Statistics further predicts that there will be one such person who does not want names/events/... seen (sometimes even of death parents).

I hence see little reason in doing an option C as presented. The longer you run your website publicly, the more chance you move to option A presently available.

Note that if you want fine grained control in GRAMPS website generation, you can use the privacy option (make name private, make event private, ...) then generate the website for publication for all data but without the private data.
This gives you full control. Obviously much more work, but the only correct way to do it. You eg have to change living persons from private to public some years after their death.

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Brian Matherly
Tom,

> If this has already been discussed and I missed it sorry, please excuse
> this
> post:
>
> Since GRAMPS went to 3.x we have lost some functionality in the way
> GRAMPS
> restricts data on living people.  This was done for a good reason, but
> affects lots of people (read me haha).  I respect the developer's time
> and
> efforts so I was thinking about the easiest way to fix this problem.
> You can
> have GRAMPS include the name, but no further detail about living people
> simply by changing 1 line of code:
>
> Line 438 of gramps-3.0.1/src/gen/proxy change to:
>     new_name.set_first_name(old_name.get_first_name())
>
> So my question is:
>
> Does it make sense to EVER restrict names to LIVING?  Why not EXCLUDE
> living
> people if you don't want their names published?  It doesn't seem to add
> any
> additional information to simply say Person "Living" had 2 children
> named "Living" and "Living".  Really doesn't seem to help here.
>
> So I am hoping to get feedback from users to see if they would rather
> see the
> following:
>
> --------------------------------
> Option A (as is)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of
> their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but re-name
> all
> living to "Living" and omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option B (Changed Default - small effort from devs)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of
> their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but leave
> living
> people's names in place but omit all of their events etc.
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Option C (Add options - Ask for lots of dev time)
>
> INCLUDE - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of
> their
> events etc
>
> RESTRICT - Export everyone, include all info on dead people.  Have
> options to
> restrict names on all living to "Living" or leave names in, options to
> omit
> all of their events etc or anything in between
>
> EXCLUDE - Export only dead people

How about an option D:

--------------------------------
Option D

INCLUDE_ALL - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of
their events etc

INCLUDE_FULL_NAME_ONLY - Export everyone, exclude all information on living
people except for their full name.

INCLUDE_LAST_NAME_ONLY - Export everyone, exclude all information on living
people except for their last name. Replace their first name with "Living".

EXCLUDE_ALL - Export only dead people
--------------------------------

Perhaps this will meet more people's needs.

~Brian

Re: [Poll] Excluding Info from Web

Kees Bakker
Op dinsdag 03 juni 2008, schreef Brian Matherly:

> How about an option D:
>
> --------------------------------
> Option D
>
> INCLUDE_ALL - Export everyone (living or dead) to a report including all of
> their events etc
>
> INCLUDE_FULL_NAME_ONLY - Export everyone, exclude all information on living
> people except for their full name.
>
> INCLUDE_LAST_NAME_ONLY - Export everyone, exclude all information on living
> people except for their last name. Replace their first name with "Living".
>
> EXCLUDE_ALL - Export only dead people
>
> Perhaps this will meet more people's needs.

Yes, that looks good.

And perhaps add (from option A, the current RESTRICT)

INCLUDE_LIVING_AS_NAME - Export everyone, include all info on dead people but re-name