Polygons of historical places

PeterPower
Hi,

I have now played with new Place construction in Gramps. A nice step forward. I did notice a discussion about historical maps in Gramps and I remembered a service which I know to some extend: Finnish Spatio-Temporal Ontology.
See
- http://www.seco.tkk.fi/ontologies/sapo/
- http://www.seco.tkk.fi/publications/2007/kauppinen_deichstetter_hyvonen_Temp-O-Map_Ontology-based_Search_and_Visualization_of_Spatio_Temporal_Maps_2007.pdf
- http://www.kulttuurisampo.fi/historiallisetAlueet.shtml?lang=en

The last one is an example of how the areas of finnish municipalities have changed with time and how each "time bound" municipality can be  projected on a modern map. Try with two "Enonkoski". The secretess is having polygon points of a place in data base, not only a single point as Gramps today allows. Would it be possible to enchance Gramps with outlines of a place by set of coordinates and get them rendered in map services? I believe that all major map services used by Gramps support rendering of polygons, see e.g. https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/polygon-simple

Best Regards

Pekka

Re: Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
[...copying this to Gramps-devel too]

I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
haven't seen one for a list of them.

Obviously, it would be possible to store them as separate records in a
polygon table but there's a specific ordering that must additionally be
represented -- you can't just join them in any order.

    Tony Proctor

> I have now played with new Place construction in Gramps. A nice step
> forward. I did notice a discussion about historical maps in Gramps and I
> remembered a service which I know to some extend: Finnish Spatio-Temporal
> Ontology.
> See
> - http://www.seco.tkk.fi/ontologies/sapo/
> -
> http://www.seco.tkk.fi/publications/2007/kauppinen_deichstetter_hyvonen_Temp-O-Map_Ontology-based_Search_and_Visualization_of_Spatio_Temporal_Maps_2007.pdf
> - http://www.kulttuurisampo.fi/historiallisetAlueet.shtml?lang=en
>
> The last one is an example of how the areas of finnish municipalities have
> changed with time and how each "time bound" municipality can be  projected
> on a modern map. Try with two "Enonkoski". The secretess is having polygon
> points of a place in data base, not only a single point as Gramps today
> allows. Would it be possible to enchance Gramps with outlines of a place
> by set of coordinates and get them rendered in map services? I believe
> that all major map services used by Gramps support rendering of polygons,
> see e.g.
> https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/polygon-simple
>
> Best Regards
>
> Pekka

Re: [Gramps-devel] Polygons of historical places

Tom Hughes
On 11/09/14 14:28, Tony Proctor wrote:

> I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
> representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
> polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
> haven't seen one for a list of them.

I'm not sure which ISO standard you referring to - it's not like there
are a huge number of options for how to write a pair of coordinates, and
to be honest no two geo-standards can agree on which order lat and lon
should be written in...

The best known way traditionally of writing geometries has been using
the WKT format:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text

Other options are things like GeoJSON or KML all of which support very
similar options to WKT in terms of how they describe geometries.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: [Gramps-devel] Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
Thanks Tom. I was thinking of ISO 6709 which encodes them in a single text
field. If there were multiple pairs then that same text field could
implicitly order them (although I don't know what separator would be
recommended). In a database table, though, then it gets a bit verbose
because you would also need an ordinal indicator plus a foreign key (to
group them), and I see no advantage over simply putting them all in a single
text field.

    Tony

>> I'd be especially interested if anyone knows of a standard for the
>> representation of multiple coordinates, say for the vertices of these
>> polygons. I know there is an ISO standard for a single coordinate but I
>> haven't seen one for a list of them.
>
> I'm not sure which ISO standard you referring to - it's not like there are
> a huge number of options for how to write a pair of coordinates, and to be
> honest no two geo-standards can agree on which order lat and lon should be
> written in...
>
> The best known way traditionally of writing geometries has been using the
> WKT format:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-known_text
>
> Other options are things like GeoJSON or KML all of which support very
> similar options to WKT in terms of how they describe geometries.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
> http://compton.nu/

Re: [Gramps-devel] Polygons of historical places

ACProctor
Actually, because all point coordinates have a trailing '/' in ISO 6709 then
serialising a list with no other separator works just fine  :-)

    Tony

> Thanks Tom. I was thinking of ISO 6709 which encodes them in a single text
> field. If there were multiple pairs then that same text field could
> implicitly order them (although I don't know what separator would be
> recommended). In a database table, though, then it gets a bit verbose
> because you would also need an ordinal indicator plus a foreign key (to
> group them), and I see no advantage over simply putting them all in a
> single
> text field.
>
>    Tony

Focus on list of individuals

genealogie@molvis.nl
Using Gramps 4.1.0.1 Python 3 on Ubuntu 14.04

In previous versions, a focus on a person in the relationship screen, would result in a focus on that person in the individuals list. Now, when I focus on a person in the relations window, I get a (database)focus on the last person focussed on in the indivduals list or initialy on the first individual on the list. I must then scroll to the intended person, which individual is highlighted. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong??

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Kees Mollema
Raadhuisplein 356
9203ED Drachten
Tel.: 0512-541564

Voorbehoud
Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wilt u zo vriendelijk zijn om direct contact op te nemen met de verzender als deze e-mail bij vergissing bij u terecht is gekomen? Aan de inhoud van het bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend, tenzij dit expliciet in het bericht is verwoord.

Re: Focus on list of individuals

Peter Hewett-2

From: [hidden email] Sun 14 Sep 2014 21:47:28 NZST

> Using Gramps 4.1.0.1 Python 3 on Ubuntu 14.04
>
> In previous versions, a focus on a person in the relationship screen,
> would result in a focus on that person in the individuals list. Now,
> when I focus on a person in the relations window, I get a
> (database)focus on the last person focussed on in the indivduals list or
> initialy on the first individual on the list. I must then scroll to the
> intended person, which individual is highlighted. Is this a bug, or am I
> doing something wrong??

That seems strange.  I tried this with gramps 4.1.0-1 on Kubuntu 14.04,
and the focus remains on the same individual when I switch between the
relationship and people list views.

Sorry, that doesn't solve your problem, but hopefully it has narrowed it
down a bit (that is, it doesn't appear to be a bug in gramps).

regards

Peter