Positive Negatives

Dave Hamilton

Hi all,

I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.

How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

Regards

Re: Positive Negatives

Ron Johnson
On 01/22/2017 07:17 PM, Dave 2 wrote:

Hi all,

I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.

How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

Either create a custom Event Type or make a note.

Re: Positive Negatives

Gerhard Killesreiter
Am 23.01.2017 um 02:17 schrieb Dave 2:

> Hi all,
>

> I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of
> converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.
>

> How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example
> that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

I use tags for such information.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Re: Positive Negatives

paul womack
Dave 2 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.
>
> How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

Probably better to call them "definite negatives" which is less linguistically contradictory.

  BugBear

Re: Positive Negatives

Philippe Couka
I go with tags, too. I'm using tags for instance to confirm that the list of siblings for a given ancestor is complete, and to avoid searching again, after a few months.

Best regards

Philippe Couka

Dave 2 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.
>
> How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

Probably better to call them "definite negatives" which is less linguistically contradictory.

  BugBear

Re: Positive Negatives

Dave Scheipers
For something like unmarried at time of death, I'll add 'Unmarried' to the Description field. For a lot of other things I'd use Attributes attached to the appropriate record if the info can be conveyed tersely, or a note if info needs more than a few words to convey the info.

I don't use tags to convey info to others because they don't appear in reports. I use tags to assist in my searches.

Dave 2 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a recent convert to Gramps and love it and I am in the throes of converting and cleaning up data from Legacy.
>
> How do I record the positive negatives for various ancestors? For example that a person never married or that a marriage had no issue.

Probably better to call them "definite negatives" which is less linguistically contradictory.

  BugBear

Re: Positive Negatives

Nick Hall
On 23/01/17 13:08, Dave Scheipers wrote:
For something like unmarried at time of death, I'll add 'Unmarried' to the Description field. For a lot of other things I'd use Attributes attached to the appropriate record if the info can be conveyed tersely, or a note if info needs more than a few words to convey the info.

I don't use tags to convey info to others because they don't appear in reports. I use tags to assist in my searches.

Correct.  The purpose for tags is to assist the researcher, not to convey information.

Citations and notes can be added to an attribute.  So, for example, if a 1911 England & Wales census return for a woman lists the number of children born alive and she is over child bearing age, then you could add a "Number of Children" attribute, with a citation and a note that explains your reasoning.

If you have searched for children and can't find any, but don't have any direct evidence, then a tag may be more appropriate.

Re: Positive Negatives

Dave Hamilton

Thanks all for your suggestions. I must admit I like the idea of using an attribute.

Dave

Nick Hall wrote:

> On 23/01/17 13:08, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> For something like unmarried at time of death, I'll add 'Unmarried' to the Description field. For a lot of other things I'd use Attributes attached to the appropriate record if the info can be conveyed tersely, or a note if info needs more than a few words to convey the info.
>>
>> I don't use tags to convey info to others because they don't appear in reports. I use tags to assist in my searches.
>>
> Correct.  The purpose for tags is to assist the researcher, not to convey information.
>
> Citations and notes can be added to an attribute.  So, for example, if a 1911 England & Wales census return for a woman lists the number of children born alive and she is over child bearing age, then you could add a "Number of Children" attribute, with a citation and a note that explains your reasoning.
>
> If you have searched for children and can't find any, but don't have any direct evidence, then a tag may be more appropriate.

Adding tags in bulk (e.g. to the results of a tricky search) is easy.

Is there a way to REMOVE tags in bulk, when (e.g.) they are outdated?

  BugBear

Re: Positive Negatives

Nick Hall
On 24/01/17 09:27, paul womack wrote:
> Is there a way to REMOVE tags in bulk, when (e.g.) they are outdated?

You can delete a tag, but it is not possible to untag a selection of
objects.