Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Nick Hall
Dear Users,

I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:

1. Place name abbreviations

Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.

2. Time-dependent place types

Allow the place type to change over time.

3. Place hierarchy types

Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
Ecclesiastical ...

4. Citations for place names, types and links.

Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
place as a whole.

5. Place attributes

Add an attribute list to places.

6. Place events

Add an event list to places.

Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?

Is there anything I have missed out?

Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary, or may be too
complicated or confusing?

I look forward to your opinions.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Philip Weiss
I would use #2 (time dependent place types) and #5 (place attributes). I like the idea of #3 (place hierarchy types) and #6 (place events), but probably would not use them personally.

If I was implementing #2, I'd make the alternate names a name/type tuple. The types often change separately from the name, but the structure would allow for the type to be dependent on the language.  I.e., I could have the municipality of Piteå be "Pitea" with a type of "municipality" in English and "Piteå" with a type of "kommun" in Swedish.

One that's missing is time dependent location information, but I don't know how useful it would really be. Specifically, I've run into a few instance where a place was moved.  Moving a hospital around town for instance.  But it's worked pretty well to have the places entered "North Idaho Medical Center (1909-1973 location)" and "North Idaho Medical Center" as two separate places.

Phil.

On Feb 7 2019, at 9:53 am, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 17:53:05 +0000
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Nick,

>1. Place name abbreviations
>Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.

It's already catered with with Alternative Names, IMO.

>2. Time-dependent place types
>Allow the place type to change over time.

That would certainly prove beneficial:  Villages getting absorbed by
city encroachment, or towns gaining city status, etc.

>3. Place hierarchy types
>Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
>Ecclesiastical ...

I can certainly see the benefit, but it's probably not something I'd
use;  I struggle enough with the current set-up.   :-)
IOW, adding this is going to make a complex thing even more complicated.

The remainder, I'm less concerned about.

>Is there anything I have missed out?

As Philip suggested; Time-dependant location for places.

--
 Regards  _
Watching the people get lairy

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Peter Merchant
2, as Philip says,
and
6, so that one could add an event such as Train crash, Landslide, Avalanche.

I don't think that I would use any of the others, but then I am just a simple user.
Peter M.

On 07/02/2019 17:53, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative, Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

StoltHD
Nick,

I would use all of them...
All the time, and Gramps would be able to support Historians in addition to Genealogists...

only thing I would like to see in addition is dates for attributes, not only for places, but for all objects, that way many of the "small" things that we today make custom events for could be registered as an date spesific attribute "pair"

Same with Notes, it would be nice to have dates for Notes, that way there will be possible to enter i.e. a sort of chronological diary or history that do not fit as Events...
Just suggestions since the work to be done with this changes will be rather big, so it could be smart to add the extra fields at the same time...

But I really applaud all of this extra features, and if it would be possible to implement hierarchy for Events also, Gramps would be a near complete system for all types of historical registrations, only thing left would be some support for reference and bibliography tools like Zotero and jabref...
(maybe you even would get help from institutions like  Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media)

Jaran

On 07/02/2019 19:06, Peter Merchant wrote:
> 6, so that one could add an event such as Train crash, Landslide, Avalanche.

You can do this already:

For example, create an event as follows:

Type:  Rail crash
Date:  5 Oct 1999
Place:  Ladbroke Grove, London, England

Allowing places to be the subject of an event would allow the following:

1.  Consider modelling a ship as a place.  Then you could create
"Launch", "Port of Call" or "Sinking" events for it.

So for the place "RMS Titanic" you could have the event:

Type:  Sinking
Date:  15 Apr 1912
Place:  North Atlantic Ocean (41°43′55″N 49°56′45″W)

2. Merging places.  It would be possible to record the merging of two
places.  Place A and place B could have the event:

Type:  Merge
Date:  1 Jan 1900
Place:  C

Just a couple of thoughts.  Would this functionality be useful?

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Bill Gee
All of these are good ideas.  I think items 2 and 6 go to the top.

Regarding number 6 - It is possible to attach places to events, but I think the opposite is also useful.  You can say, for example, that the Battle of the Bulge (an event) occurred in the Ardennes (a place).  But you cannot look at the Ardennes (a place) and see what battles (events) have taken place there.  This could be a bit interesting as it raises the possibility of circular references.

In addition, I would like to see some way to document the names of a place as they are used in different languages.  This is not just for reporting.  Even if reports are only ever generated in one language, it would be informative to have the names of a place listed in the various languages.  Wikipedia often lists additional place names in various languages either in the first paragraph of the article or in the History section.

Another aspect of this that would be handy is to list on reports the name of a place when the associated event occurred, and also the modern name of the same place.

--
Bill Gee

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:53:05 AM CST Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
> Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
> place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.
>

> Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?
>
> Is there anything I have missed out?
>
> Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary, or may be too
> complicated or confusing?
>

> I look forward to your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Philip Weiss
Ohhhhhh!

I would definitely use the hell out of that, especially if there's traceability of places.  (Though that's more of a combination of additional place relationships besides "enclosed by" and reporting.)

Phil.

Date:  1 Jan 1900
Place:  C

Date:  1 Jan 1900
Place:  C

Just a couple of thoughts.  Would this functionality be useful?

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

J. Allen Crider-2
I would certainly use #2 if it was available.

At first I thought Philip's idea of time dependent location information
might be useful, but I think there is already a way to implement that in
the situations I would use it.  Create multiple places with the
addresses of each location.  Then have the place enclosed by different
addresses at different times.  For a purely fictional example, assume
City Hospital moves from 100 Main Street to 300 Broadway in 1975.
Create one place of type Number with name 100 and enclosed by the street
Main Street.  Create a second place of type Number with name 300
enclosed by the street Broadway.  Then have City Hospital enclosed by
100 before 1975 and by 300 after 1975.

What I would like to see is a better implementation of time dependent
names.  I've tried using alternative names with date ranges, but most
reports use the primary name even for dates within the ranges for
alternative names.  The only thing that gives me the results I would
like is to create a separate place for each name.

Allen Crider

On 2/7/19 11:53 AM, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
> Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
> place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.
>

> Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?
>
> Is there anything I have missed out?
>
> Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary, or may be too
> complicated or confusing?
>

> I look forward to your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Hi Nick

1) not really bothered
2) see real use for this
3) See this as useful, so Parish's (Religous and Administrative) GRO
Registration Districts and Sub Districts, Parliamentary Districts etc as
UK examples maybe
4,5,6) Would seem to be logical requirements for some of the above and
as part of an evidence trail.

My only hesitation is this taking Gramps away from "family history" and
more into "pure history" and adding complexity that joe public would shy
away from

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 07/02/2019 19:55, J. Allen Crider wrote:
> What I would like to see is a better implementation of time dependent
> names.  I've tried using alternative names with date ranges, but most
> reports use the primary name even for dates within the ranges for
> alternative names.  The only thing that gives me the results I would
> like is to create a separate place for each name.

This is a bug.

In reports, a place associated with an event should use the name
matching the event date.  Make sure that you don't have a name without a
date, because that will match any date.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

> For a purely fictional example, assume
> City Hospital moves from 100 Main Street to 300 Broadway in 1975.
> Create one place of type Number with name 100 and enclosed by the street
> Main Street.  Create a second place of type Number with name 300
> enclosed by the street Broadway.  Then have City Hospital enclosed by
> 100 before 1975 and by 300 after 1975.

I have this scenario for our local church. The street address changed
around 1970. I originally set it up as Allen suggested.

The problem was when I created a narrated website, what I create when
a cousin wants the information, the map that is generated for both
locations with the different spans of time is just the most recent
address. It is the GPS coordinates that are set to the church, not to
the address.  I have since separated the church into two records, one
at each of the addresses.

For Allen's  scenario to be implemented, the single entity, the
hospital, would need to have two sets of GPS coordinates that are time
dependent.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

brian fitzgerald
1. Place name abbreviations
 Great idea:Could be useful if it was able to be displayed in a graph, thereby saving some paper real-estate.
Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.

2. Time-dependent place types
Essential when dealing with old places as in Ireland, Holy land, Post colonial territories, etc
Allow the place type to change over time.

3. Place hierarchy types
Essential to allow other genealogists the ability to know where the records are organized and can be found. Not every hierarchy type is co-terminous with a land boundary as is the case in the US or UK (mostly).
Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
Ecclesiastical ...

4. Citations for place names, types and links.
Essential when multiple hierarchies and time dependant place type are used.
Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
place as a whole.

5. Place attributes
Might be useful for non-standard properties.
Add an attribute list to places.

6. Place events
Essential for many real-world situations where the event is place centric (battle of XYZ) or (Eruption of volcano ABC). These primary events should become shared events for the people and participants
Add an event list to places.

These are all great ideas and providing the reporting can keep up with the underlying structure we should all be better off after 5.1

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 3:56 PM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For a purely fictional example, assume
> City Hospital moves from 100 Main Street to 300 Broadway in 1975.
> Create one place of type Number with name 100 and enclosed by the street
> Main Street.  Create a second place of type Number with name 300
> enclosed by the street Broadway.  Then have City Hospital enclosed by
> 100 before 1975 and by 300 after 1975.

I have this scenario for our local church. The street address changed
around 1970. I originally set it up as Allen suggested.

The problem was when I created a narrated website, what I create when
a cousin wants the information, the map that is generated for both
locations with the different spans of time is just the most recent
address. It is the GPS coordinates that are set to the church, not to
the address.  I have since separated the church into two records, one
at each of the addresses.

For Allen's  scenario to be implemented, the single entity, the
hospital, would need to have two sets of GPS coordinates that are time
dependent.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Gramps has latitude/longitude fields that defines the map marker. So you can choose to define as the Center or Centroid. And you can adjust the radius through the "Place Selection in a region" dialog. (Although getting to that dialog is a bit convoluted.)

But having the ability to set a bounding box or polygon to overlay the maps would be helpful for future enhancements to the display & selection features.

Perhaps the Enclosing layer could be expanded to support external map APIs? Say by allowing a Place to be associated to a KML (Keyhole Markup Language) flavor XML file.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:56, Nick Hall
[...]

Sebastian Schubert
Dear Nick,

These are all nice points, for me in particular point 2. Also, I would
use point 3. The spatial extent of a place as described by Emyoulation
would also be a nice addition, although entering this time-dependent
information might be too much in practice.

The most important point for me, however, would be a robust connection
to a gazetteer, GOV in my case. In my case, the place hierarchy is only
a means of presenting and interpreting my people data, so getting this
place data as easy as possible would be my priority. This includes also
getting updates from GOV. I guess having the GOV ID as a separate
attribute would be one step.

Thanks
Sebastian

On 07/02/2019 18:53, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
> Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
> place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.
>

> Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?
>
> Is there anything I have missed out?
>
> Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary, or may be too
> complicated or confusing?
>

> I look forward to your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Matt hias

Dear Nick and Gramps-Devs,

1. Place name abbreviations
Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.

=> Personally I wouldn't need that.

2. Time-dependent place types
Allow the place type to change over time.

=> This one sounds useful, because many places started as a small village and grew to a town.

3. Place hierarchy types
Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative, Ecclesiastical ...

=> I think this one would definitely be the most important one for me. The main source for my research are church books right now, so I sorted my places in which parish they are a part of e.g. "country>state>parish>place>(house number)". I also added for some places of those places other hierarchies e.g. "Country>state>town/municipality/region>place/street>(house number)".

In addition better settings for place title generation/place format would be needed, right now you can just tell which levels of the place hierarchy you want to see. I'd love to create place format similar to the name format and being able to select which format I want to use for which things in reports e.g. use the full title in written reports, but only short custom place fomats for relationship graphs and use different place titles for different things in relationship graphs (the parish for marriages, place>house number for birth/death and only place for occupation).

By the way, currently I only use dates and no places in relationship graphs, because with places it just gets way too long. By using other place format it's generating too often the wrong level, because some places have one hierarchy level more than other places.

4. Citations for place names, types and links.
Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the place as a whole.

=> Isn't it enough to add them to the place as a whole than to each lower level object? Especially when I was a new user I can remember that I was overwhelmed with all the many low level objects in gramps and the many windows you have to open to change things.

5. Place attributes
Add an attribute list to places.
6. Place events
Add an event list to places.

=> For 5) and 6) (time dependent) attributes or events would be very useful e.g. population of a place in year X or a certain event which effected everyone living there like floodings or epidemics.

Personally I think historical merging of places (e.g. place A and place B became place C in year 1800)  would be extremely useful, as well as being able to search them (e.g. all birth events in place A from 1775 to 1830, so show birth events of place A from 1775 to 1800 and place C from 1800 to 1830 by default, because place A is part of place C from 1800 to 1830).

Place polygons in addition to the place coordinates would be very useful too as one user suggested already. One the one hand it would allow a better representation of places, on the other hand you could use it to map historic land register maps or the property/land area of a family, because the land area was usually connected with the social status of the people owning it and this was important for potential marriage partners.

Kind regards,
Matt

On 08/02/2019 11:58, Matt hias wrote:

Dear Nick and Gramps-Devs,

1. Place name abbreviations
Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.

=> Personally I wouldn't need that.

I thought that initially, but perhaps people who do reports would like  province/state abbreviations rather than full names.

Peter M.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Lasse
Hi Nick,

this is such a great proposal, I can't wait to see most of them! Find
detailed responds below.

1) Might be good to have, but not a priority for me
2) yes, yes, yes! :-) This is really common for most of the places that
exist over a long time
3) Would also be a help, but not prio one for me. Having only one type
of hierarchy but multiple child-relations at once is fine. Giving them a
type would be nice to have for me.
4) Yes. There should really be nothing without a possibility to link to
a citation.
5) don't care. I'm not using attributes at all (no citation possibility)
6) We talked about this on the list some weeks ago. Having one dummy
person works quite well for me.

So number 2 would really be great to have, this would be prio 1 for me.
Please also add a citation possibility to these multiple types.

Kind regards,
Lasse

On 07/02/2019 18:53, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial, Administrative,
> Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in addition to the
> place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.
>

> Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?
>
> Is there anything I have missed out?
>
> Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary, or may be too
> complicated or confusing?
>

> I look forward to your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Re: Possible place enhancements for v5.1

Doug-11
On 07/02/2019 18:53, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Users,
>
> I would like your opinion on the following possible place
> enhancements:
>
> 1. Place name abbreviations
>
> Allow a place name to have one or more abbreviations.
>
> 2. Time-dependent place types
>
> Allow the place type to change over time.
>
> 3. Place hierarchy types
>
> Allow multiple hierarchies:  Geographic, Politicial,
> Administrative, Ecclesiastical ...
>
> 4. Citations for place names, types and links.
>
> Add a citation list to these lower level objects in
> addition to the place as a whole.
>
> 5. Place attributes
>
> Add an attribute list to places.
>
> 6. Place events
>
> Add an event list to places.
>

> Which of the above would you like to see in Gramps?
>
> Is there anything I have missed out?
>
> Are there any of these that you don't think are necessary,
> or may be too complicated or confusing?
>

> I look forward to your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

All are excellent; but 2, 3 and 6 would be particularly
useful to me and avoid my having to use round-about kludges
to achieve their effects.

Doug