Posting a reply to the forum

driseberg
I don't know if it is just me, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to post a reply to the user forums.  Obviously, you can post a question - I'm doing it.  Obviously, people are able to post replies.  Unfortunately, every time I go to the forums, it shows up as Read only, and I can't reply to anything, without starting a new post.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
David Riseberg

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

driseberg
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAOyNq8rPuK0r4FNxt5RqiN=0knMgBJP_4F4cGHkGFD2QoVUf-g@...
Isn't the fact that we can post our questions, and have either a monitor, or other community members answer a question, qualify this as a "forum"? It is simply not that easy to post an answer, or comment, after you've asked the question.

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

DS Blank
david <d.riseberg <at> verizon.net> writes:

> Am I missing something?

I didn't see a way to reply there either. Weird.

But you can at:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.genealogy.gramps.user

-Doug

2012/9/19 <[hidden email]>
https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAOyNq8rPuK0r4FNxt5RqiN=0knMgBJP_4F4cGHkGFD2QoVUf-g@...
Isn't the fact that we can post our questions, and have either a monitor, or other community members answer a question, qualify this as a "forum"? It is simply not that easy to post an answer, or comment, after you've asked the question.

The forum has been disabled many years ago, and is not available on
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/support

For me https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php gives an error so I can't check out what can be seen there now.

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

ozdroggy
Benny Malengier wrote

For me https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php<https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAOyNq8rPuK0r4FNxt5RqiN=[hidden email]>gives
an error so I can't check out what can be seen there now.

Benny

=======SNIP=======
By accident I discovered NABBLE which mirrors (is that the right term?) gramps-users@lists.sourceforge.net at:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/ where I can post replies easily just like on a normal forum. This is how this reply was posted.
Mike.

LinuxMint Release 12 (Lisa)
Kernel Linux 3.0.0-12-generic
GNOME 3.2.1

GRAMPS: 3.4.0-1

Hardware: Dell DM-051
Memory: 3.4 GiB
Processor 0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.2GHz
Processor 1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.2GHz

System Status
Available disk space: 89.7 GiB

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

Helge@Gramps
I use e. g. http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html without trouble (after my sign in).
-Helge

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

Martin Steer-2
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:40:55AM -0400, david wrote:
>I don't know if it is just me, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to post
>a reply to the user forums.  Obviously, you can post a question - I'm doing
>it.  Obviously, people are able to post replies.  Unfortunately, every time I
>go to the forums, it shows up as Read only, and I can't reply to anything,
>without starting a new post.
>Am I missing something?

Are you subscribed to the mailing list? That's probably the easiest way
to interact.  To subscribe, go to the address at the bottom of this
page.

M.

Martin Steer <martinsteer <at> maxi.net.au> writes:

> Are you subscribed to the mailing list? That's probably the easiest way
> to interact.  To subscribe, go to the address at the bottom of this
> page.
>
> M.

I am subscribing to the mailing list.  That is how I am keeping up with all
the new Q&A's.  When I go to [hidden email], It is read-
only.
But---
Douglas Blank wrote:

I didn't see a way to reply there either. Weird.

But you can at:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.genealogy.gramps.user

-Doug

I've put that address in my Favorites list.  Every time I want to respond, or
actually review a message, I go there now.
I don't know if its happening to other people, but I noticed that the original
message, on the archive page, is usually wider than the screen size.  This
causes the end of the lines to be cut off, with no way to scroll to it.
Anyway, just a few of my own observations.

I was having a bit of difficulty getting on to NABBLE, for some reason.  So my first inclination was to ignore it.  I tried it again, just now, and was able to get to it.  As Benny says, it is in a normal forum format, which makes it easier to view, and respond to.  For me, this is a better format, so I changed my Favorites, to point to this address instead.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 01:19:13PM +0000, David Riseberg wrote:

>Martin Steer <martinsteer <at> maxi.net.au> writes:
>

>> Are you subscribed to the mailing list? That's probably the easiest way
>> to interact.  To subscribe, go to the address at the bottom of this
>> page.
>>
>> M.
>>

>I am subscribing to the mailing list.  That is how I am keeping up with all
>the new Q&A's.  When I go to [hidden email], It is read-
>only.

I was suggesting that you could use email to interact with the list,
rather than going to a website.

M.

Re: Posting a reply to the forum

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:19:13 +0000 (UTC)
David Riseberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello David,

>When I go to [hidden email], It is read-
>only.

You don't "go to" an email address, you send an email to it.  If by the
above you mean you are going to the list archive, then yes, it's RO.

--
 Regards  _
Life goes quick and it goes without warning