Preferences and column editor

ingridvg70
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or there's a simple solution, but in my Gramps program, I can't reach the preferences nor the column editor. When I click them, all texts becomes grey as if there's a window active, but the preferences/column editor doesn't show up. It is listed in the Windows list, though, as if it is open (or probably it is open, but not visible).

I'm on Windows 10; just upgraded Gramps to 5.0.2 hoping that it would help, even reinstalled completely. It didn't work in the previous version either. I'm using the Dutch translation.

Any suggestions or should I submit a bug?

Met vriendelijke groet
Ingrid van Garderen

Re: Preferences and column editor

prculley
It sounds like the windows are getting "stacked" out of order, that is that the dialog is behind the main window.

Are you on a multi-monitor machine?  We have had an intermittent bug where windows get stacked wrong on multi-monitor machines if Gramps is not on the main monitor.  The bug appears to be in a Gtk library that we don't control.  You might try moving the Gramps main window, or maybe shrinking it and moving it so that if the other dialog is behind the edges might show up.  That would confirm the issue.  Unfortunately we don't have an answer to the problem at this time.  You might try disabling the additional monitors if you have them...

Usually restarting Gramps will fix it on my machine, but if it happens always, there may be some other software that is interfering somehow.

Paul C.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 2:34 AM Ingrid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or there's a simple solution, but in my Gramps program, I can't reach the preferences nor the column editor. When I click them, all texts becomes grey as if there's a window active, but the preferences/column editor doesn't show up. It is listed in the Windows list, though, as if it is open (or probably it is open, but not visible).

I'm on Windows 10; just upgraded Gramps to 5.0.2 hoping that it would help, even reinstalled completely. It didn't work in the previous version either. I'm using the Dutch translation.

Any suggestions or should I submit a bug?

Met vriendelijke groet
Ingrid van Garderen

Re: Preferences and column editor

GRAMPS - User mailing list
One of the things added to Gramps recently is that it started storing the position & size of Windows to they'd be where you like them the next time. And it started remembering the active View & active record between sessions.

If one of these values is corrupted (or your display configuration or loaded tree changed), Gramps thinks it should use a no-longer-applicable value. Maybe this type of preference file problem is biting you.

Perhaps someone could share what preference file could be discarded/renamed to eliminate it as your possible culprit.

But I also need suggestions on how to flush these inadvertently adjusted session-based preferences. However I REALLY want to keep the ones I had to specifically bring up Preferences to set. (I don't want to have to reset the date format, the columns added to Views, the default new relationship, the type auto-generated surname when adding a child/father... et cetera ad nauseam)

-Brian

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:02, Paul Culley
[...]

This was indeed the cause and also the solution. I’d changed my display settings in the 3-monitor setup, and the less-used windows where on the edge of the now right-most monitor. I’ve moved them to the main display, where I hope they will stay.

Groetjes

Ingrid

Re: Preferences and column editor

Oldest1

Perhaps the startup code could check the old screen coordinates, including the monitor # and screen resolution and force the startup position for the Gramps GUI to revert to the current default  monitor #1 as well as scale the GUI size so that at least the critical area is visible.

I am sure have seen this 'feature' implemented on some software, though I cannot recall for which app, as I currently very rarely need this.

Arnold

On 2019-08-22 4:01 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

This was indeed the cause and also the solution. I’d changed my display settings in the 3-monitor setup, and the less-used windows where on the edge of the now right-most monitor. I’ve moved them to the main display, where I hope they will stay.

Groetjes

Ingrid

Re: Preferences and column editor

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Unfortunately, you're right. Most software now has to revalidate against current configuration coordinates every time a window is created. And each display configuration change has to force a revalidation when the user locks in the new setting.

Since modern OSes support single & multiple screen reconfiguration dynamically without restarting, any stored coordinate must be considered suspect.

-Brian

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:22, [hidden email]
--
Perhaps the startup code could check the old screen coordinates, including the monitor # and screen resolution and force the startup position for the Gramps GUI to revert to the current default  monitor #1 as well as scale the GUI size so that at least the critical area is visible.
I am sure have seen this 'feature' implemented on some software, though I cannot recall for which app, as I currently very rarely need this.
Arnold

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment