Preferences not working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Preferences not working

Richard Bos
The menu preferences (gramps -> edit ->preferences) is not working for me.  I
get the following gtraceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1978, in
on_preferences_activate
    GrampsCfg.display_preferences_box(self.db)
  File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 397, in
display_preferences_box
    GrampsPreferences(db)
  File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 167, in __init__
    self.build()
  File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 204, in build
    self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())
TypeError: GtkEntry.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None

This is on suse-10.0, with gramps-2.0.9  Does anybody else the same experience
or is the preferences menu just working?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Don Allingham
Richard,

It looks like the installation either did not install the gconf schemas,
or it did not restart the gconfd daemon.

Don

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 15:11 +0100, Richard Bos wrote:

> The menu preferences (gramps -> edit ->preferences) is not working for me.  I
> get the following gtraceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/gramps_main.py", line 1978, in
> on_preferences_activate
>     GrampsCfg.display_preferences_box(self.db)
>   File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 397, in
> display_preferences_box
>     GrampsPreferences(db)
>   File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 167, in __init__
>     self.build()
>   File "/opt/gnome/share/gramps/GrampsCfg.py", line 204, in build
>     self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())
> TypeError: GtkEntry.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None
>
> This is on suse-10.0, with gramps-2.0.9  Does anybody else the same experience
> or is the preferences menu just working?
>
--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Richard Bos
Don,

Op donderdag 29 december 2005 15:27, schreef Don Allingham:
> It looks like the installation either did not install the gconf schemas,
> or it did not restart the gconfd daemon.

thanks for your fast reply.  Do you have a little more for me.  I'm not
familair with the gnome stuff.  I have:
/opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2
/opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-rebuild

But: ps auxww | grep gconf
does not show a gconf instance.

Which gconf deamon should be running?  It is gconftool-2?  How should start
this deamon?  Is it during boot or should gramps do it?

The rpm installs a schema file:
/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/schemas/gramps.schemas

Hmm, just checked the previous gramps version 2.0.8 and in this version de
preferences menu is working....  And the code in the module changed in 2.0.9:

    204         self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())

diff 2.0.8 and 2.0.9:
+        self.ipr = self.top.get_widget("iprefix")
+        self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())

Looks like a bug to me...

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Martin Hawlisch
Richard,

> Von: Richard Bos <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Hmm, just checked the previous gramps version 2.0.8 and in this version de
> preferences menu is working....  And the code in the module changed in
> 2.0.9:
>
>     204         self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())
>
> diff 2.0.8 and 2.0.9:
> +        self.ipr = self.top.get_widget("iprefix")
> +        self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())
>
> Looks like a bug to me...

This change is not a bug and is working fine if the gconf schema is
installed properly.
The change you refer to is this
one:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gramps/gramps2/src/GrampsCfg.py?r1=1.78.2.3&r2=1.78.2.4&sortby=date&only_with_tag=gramps20
and was done to validate the userinput to test if the entered GRAMPS-ID
format is usable. That is not the problem.

Cheers, Martin.

--
Lust, ein paar Euro nebenbei zu verdienen? Ohne Kosten, ohne Risiko!
Satte Provisionen für GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Richard Bos
Op donderdag 29 december 2005 16:22, schreef Martin Hawlisch:

> > diff 2.0.8 and 2.0.9:
> > +        self.ipr = self.top.get_widget("iprefix")
> > +        self.ipr.set_text(GrampsKeys.get_person_id_prefix())
> >
> > Looks like a bug to me...
>
> This change is not a bug and is working fine if the gconf schema is
> installed properly.
> The change you refer to is this
> one:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gramps/gramps2/src/GrampsCfg.py?r1=1.
>78.2.3&r2=1.78.2.4&sortby=date&only_with_tag=gramps20 and was done to
> validate the userinput to test if the entered GRAMPS-ID format is usable.
> That is not the problem.

Martin,

can you help me out by giving some pointers how to check the schema?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
<a href="http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idv37&alloc_id865&op=click">http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idv37&alloc_id865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Martin Hawlisch
Richard,

> Von: Richard Bos <[hidden email]>
>
> can you help me out by giving some pointers how to check the schema?

When creating the rpm make sure it provides working POSTIN, POSTRM and PREUN
scripts, that install the gconf schema, register mime-types and
scrollkeeper. Maybe you can compare with the older package, that you say is
working. (I'm a debian user and have not used rpm for many years)

To only check the schema you can run `gconftool-2 -g
/apps/gramps/preferences/iprefix`, that should print out the current value.

Cheers, Martin.

--
Telefonieren Sie schon oder sparen Sie noch?
NEU: GMX Phone_Flat http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Preferences not working

Richard Bos
Op donderdag 29 december 2005 18:15, schreef Martin Hawlisch:

> Richard,
>
> > Von: Richard Bos <[hidden email]>
> >
> > can you help me out by giving some pointers how to check the schema?
>
> When creating the rpm make sure it provides working POSTIN, POSTRM and
> PREUN scripts, that install the gconf schema, register mime-types and
> scrollkeeper. Maybe you can compare with the older package, that you say is
> working. (I'm a debian user and have not used rpm for many years)
>
> To only check the schema you can run `gconftool-2 -g
> /apps/gramps/preferences/iprefix`, that should print out the current value.
>
> Cheers, Martin.

It's working now for me...  I only don't know why...
I executed some commands to investigate the problem, but did not check in
between...

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
for problems?  Stop!  Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
searching your log files as easy as surfing the  web.  DOWNLOAD SPLUNK!
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users