Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Bill Gee
Hello everyone -

I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland

Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.

An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.

I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.

What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?

Thanks!

--
Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Dave Scheipers
Hi Bill

I would use a combination of the Name editor and an Event. As you
state, the event option is obvious.

You can create additional Name entries in the Person's edit window
under the Names tab. You can give the Name a Type and fill in the
fields as appropriate. Some fields and options can be set in the
editor that are not available in the main edit window.

There is a Date field for when a Title was conferred or the span of
time (from... to...) for when the Title was valid.

You can also override on an individual basis both the display and sort
options for this name so that the Name option set in Preferences is
not used. So in your example, while the base name preference may be
"Beaufort, Joan", her Title name can be set as "Joan Beaufort,
Countess of Westmorland".

Additionally, there are Note and Citation options in the Name editor.

To put a name into the Preferred Name position, use Drag-n-Drop.

HTH Dave

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:34 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone -
>
> I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is
>
>         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland
>
> Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
>
> An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
>
> I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
>
> What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Dave Scheipers
I should add that I am in the process of fixing my name records. I am
taking Titles and most suffixes off of a person's "Birth Name" entry.
A person is not born "Doctor John Smith" or "William Jones Sr". I am
making additional name entries wherever necessary..

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM Dave Scheipers
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> I would use a combination of the Name editor and an Event. As you
> state, the event option is obvious.
>
> You can create additional Name entries in the Person's edit window
> under the Names tab. You can give the Name a Type and fill in the
> fields as appropriate. Some fields and options can be set in the
> editor that are not available in the main edit window.
>
> There is a Date field for when a Title was conferred or the span of
> time (from... to...) for when the Title was valid.
>
> You can also override on an individual basis both the display and sort
> options for this name so that the Name option set in Preferences is
> not used. So in your example, while the base name preference may be
> "Beaufort, Joan", her Title name can be set as "Joan Beaufort,
> Countess of Westmorland".
>
> Additionally, there are Note and Citation options in the Name editor.
>
> To put a name into the Preferred Name position, use Drag-n-Drop.
>
> HTH Dave
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:34 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone -
> >
> > I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is
> >
> >         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland
> >
> > Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
> >
> > An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
> >
> > I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
> >
> > What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility ti

Dave & Bill,

Stripping the Dr & Sr off Birth Name would be fine if Gramps allowed a "Display Name" or "Preferred Name" designation.

But since the People View shows the Birth name, Usability suggests that it is good to differentiate 'John Smith's in typical human terms. (People don't routinely memorize Birth & Death dates but a 'Dr' title or II/III/IV sufficiently is immediately clarifying.) And while I'd expect that the Current or Death name will be more familiar for anyone born more than 90 years ago, that's not a Display option in Gramps.

In this case, I'll sacrifice historical precision for usability and keep those clarifying desgnations in the Birth name.

(BTW, I'd strongly recommend adding the Spouse column to your People View display. It's very illuminating. We DO tend to remember ancestors as couples.)

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Categories#People_Category

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:41, Dave Scheipers
Hi Bill

I would use a combination of the Name editor and an Event. As you
state, the event option is obvious.

You can create additional Name entries in the Person's edit window
under the Names tab. You can give the Name a Type and fill in the
fields as appropriate. Some fields and options can be set in the
editor that are not available in the main edit window.

There is a Date field for when a Title was conferred or the span of
time (from... to...) for when the Title was valid.

You can also override on an individual basis both the display and sort
options for this name so that the Name option set in Preferences is
not used. So in your example, while the base name preference may be
"Beaufort, Joan", her Title name can be set as "Joan Beaufort,
Countess of Westmorland".

Additionally, there are Note and Citation options in the Name editor.

To put a name into the Preferred Name position, use Drag-n-Drop.

HTH Dave

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:34 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone -
>
> I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is
>
>        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland
>
> Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
>
> An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
>
> I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
>
> What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Bill Gee
Hi Dave -

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have some thinking and experimenting to do!  In the meantime, a related question has come up.

What is the preferred method for entering names like "Robert I, Count of Artois"?  The GEDCOM import brought this person in with Birth Name as:

        Given = Robert Of
        Suffix = I
        Surname = Artois
        Title = Count

There is an undated Nobility event with a description of "I"  (capital letter I).

In most of the cases I see like this, the surname is actually a place name.  That seems inappropriate for a surname, though long habit of use made it be the surname for many people.  The word "Of" does not seem appropriate as part of his name, though perhaps I am relying too much on modern sensibilities.

In another case, I need to adjust the record for Edward Plantagenet who was King Edward I of England.  There is a real surname here.  The nobility title (recorded as an event) is "King of England", though I wonder if I should make that "King Edward I of England".

And in case anyone seeing this wonders ...  My relationship to these people is through some cousins of my 14th great grandfather's wife.  It is not a blood relationship.  I have realized over the course of many hours looking up people that everyone is related to everyone - if you go backward and sideways far enough.

--
Bill Gee

On Friday, December 14, 2018 10:39:05 AM CST Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Bill
>
> I would use a combination of the Name editor and an Event. As you
> state, the event option is obvious.
>
> You can create additional Name entries in the Person's edit window
> under the Names tab. You can give the Name a Type and fill in the
> fields as appropriate. Some fields and options can be set in the
> editor that are not available in the main edit window.
>
> There is a Date field for when a Title was conferred or the span of
> time (from... to...) for when the Title was valid.
>
> You can also override on an individual basis both the display and sort
> options for this name so that the Name option set in Preferences is
> not used. So in your example, while the base name preference may be
> "Beaufort, Joan", her Title name can be set as "Joan Beaufort,
> Countess of Westmorland".
>
> Additionally, there are Note and Citation options in the Name editor.
>
> To put a name into the Preferred Name position, use Drag-n-Drop.
>
> HTH Dave
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 9:34 AM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone -
> >
> > I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is
> >
> >         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland
> >
> > Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
> >
> > An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
> >
> > I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
> >
> > What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility ti

The Preferred Name or Display Name is any name you choose to have displayed.

I will often have several alternative names in a person's record. The
name that is put in the Preferred slot can be Drag-N-dropped from the
alternative list. It will often be the name with a Title that they
were known by as an adult if it is not the Birth name. If it is a
Title, that will be the name type. But the Birth Name and any other
combination of names, titles and suffixes will be in the alternative
list.

This will often include the various ranks if they were in the military
(and if I know the rank progression). I have put in a feature request
to add the Date field to the alternative list to aid in this endeavor.
I have not figured out how to add the field. I do know a few of the
program files are involved.

My main point was to make the distinction between a Birth Name and any
other name that a person may be known as. The acknowledgement that a
person is not born with the title "Reverend". My previous genealogy
program did allow for multiple name. Gramps does.

Dave

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:07 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
> >
> > An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
> >
> > I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
> >
> > What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

I'd use "Multiple Surnames" for this, even though there's only one surname.
That's because it allows you to add prefixes and state the surname's origin
(Feudal, Inherited, Place, Patronymic, Patrilineal, Matronymic, Matrilineal,
etc, etc.)

On 12/14/2018 01:27 PM, Bill Gee wrote:

> Hi Dave -
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I have some thinking and experimenting to do!  In the meantime, a related question has come up.
>
> What is the preferred method for entering names like "Robert I, Count of Artois"?  The GEDCOM import brought this person in with Birth Name as:
>
> Given = Robert Of
> Suffix = I
> Surname = Artois
> Title = Count
>
> There is an undated Nobility event with a description of "I"  (capital letter I).
>
> In most of the cases I see like this, the surname is actually a place name.  That seems inappropriate for a surname, though long habit of use made it be the surname for many people.  The word "Of" does not seem appropriate as part of his name, though perhaps I am relying too much on modern sensibilities.
>
> In another case, I need to adjust the record for Edward Plantagenet who was King Edward I of England.  There is a real surname here.  The nobility title (recorded as an event) is "King of England", though I wonder if I should make that "King Edward I of England".
>
> And in case anyone seeing this wonders ...  My relationship to these people is through some cousins of my 14th great grandfather's wife.  It is not a blood relationship.  I have realized over the course of many hours looking up people that everyone is related to everyone - if you go backward and sideways far enough.

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Hi Bill

Surnames were often derived from place names or a person's occupation.
John the baker became John Baker. Or Olaf son of Jens at some point
becomes Olaf Jenssen. Iceland still uses the patronymic surname. So I
see no problem putting a place in the surname field if that is how
they were known.

In your example, I would take the "of" out of the Given name and put
in the Prefix field. The "I" meaning the First I would tend not
include because they would probably not be known that way at the time.
It is in the history books that we make the distinction. But we each
make the choice how we stylize our records.

If you have royal heritage(or your wife does) you may want to check
out http://www.thepeerage.com/index.htm

I once created a report for one of my mother's relatives. It was soon
after migrating to Gramps so I was very interested in what was
produced. In looking at the list of people, my father's sister was
included. Small world indeed.

Dave

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 2:28 PM Bill Gee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.
> > >
> > > An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.
> > >
> > > I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.
> > >
> > > What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Gee

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Hi Bill,

> What is the preferred method for entering names like "Robert I, Count of Artois"?  The GEDCOM import brought this person in with Birth Name as:
>
> Given = Robert Of
> Suffix = I
> Surname = Artois
> Title = Count
>
> There is an undated Nobility event with a description of "I"  (capital letter I).
>
> In most of the cases I see like this, the surname is actually a place name.  That seems inappropriate for a surname, though long habit of use made it be the surname for many people.  The word "Of" does not seem appropriate as part of his name, though perhaps I am relying too much on modern sensibilities.

When I find 'of' in a give name, or 'van' or 'van der', which is what I
find for Dutch names, I move it to the surname or the surname prefix.
The latter makes sure that when someone has the surname 'van den Berg',
which is the birth name of Dutch rock guitarist Ad Vandenberg, he will
be listed in the B section of the phone book. In Belgium, the same
surname will be listed in the V section however.

In above case, I see 'Count of Artois' as (part of) the title, not the
surname. And I do that, because in modern England, most royals have
titles that are not linked to places where they were born or where they
lived. I mean, we have Charles, Prince of Wales, with one son being Duke
of Cambridge, and the other Duke of Sussex, so there is no connection to
a family name here.

> In another case, I need to adjust the record for Edward Plantagenet who was King Edward I of England.  There is a real surname here.  The nobility title (recorded as an event) is "King of England", though I wonder if I should make that "King Edward I of England".

I think it depends, and in my ancestry, I try to make sure that the
preferred name looks good in reports, and resembles the one shown on
Wikipedia. In this case, I would indeed use the name of the house as a
surname, meaning that I have Windsor for Queen Elizabeth II. You can see
more about the subject on

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1020582/Queen-Elizabeth-II-full-name-what-is-the-Queen-full-name-title-surname

which also provides that information for her offspring.

> And in case anyone seeing this wonders ...  My relationship to these people is through some cousins of my 14th great grandfather's wife.  It is not a blood relationship.  I have realized over the course of many hours looking up people that everyone is related to everyone - if you go backward and sideways far enough.

That's true, and I did indeed wonder. That's because if you would be a
descendant of the Joan Beaufort that you mentioned earlier, you and I
would have a blood relationship through her grandfather, King Edward
III. That's 20 generations before me, so about a Millionth part of my
blood might be his. Might be a bit more because of inbreeding though. :-)

Cheers,

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Hello Bill,

I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.  There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who have titles of nobility.  One example is

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Beaufort,_Countess_of_Westmorland

Some of these imported to my Gramps database with the title in the "suffix" field of the person record.  Others came in as an event of type "Nobility".  I don't think either is correct.

For me both are correct, because:

1. I want the person to display right in reports, meaning that in this case, I put the comma and the title in the suffix field.

2. I want to register when the title was acquired.

An event of type "Nobility" would be appropriate for someone who was elevated to a title during their life.  That is obviously an event!  But it is not appropriate for someone who is born with the title.  Even for someone who was elevated, the title itself is more of a property of the person than an event.

In this case, the title was acquired in November 1396, when Joan married the recently widowed Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland

In another words, you really need an event here.

I thought about using the "Title" field.  But that seems intended more for things like Dr. or PhD or Reverend.

True, and these titles are not given at birth.

What is the preferred method for entering titles of nobility to a person?

I use titles when they need to appear in front of the given name, and suffixes otherwise.

Note that, for nobility, and popes, numbers are often part of the title, and are assigned by event, but for Bill Gates, the III suffix was already known at birth. He was the 3rd in a line of men named William Henry Gates.

Cheers,

Re: Preferred method for entering nobility titles

Peter Flynn
On 14/12/2018 14:33, Bill Gee wrote:
> Hello everyone -
>
> I am working through a files of names provided to me by a cousin.
> There are quite a few people from 11th to 14th century Britain who
> have titles of nobility.

While we're on the subject, go to https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/
Click on Register, select Groceries Account
Give an email address (anything valid; this is a test)
Give their own postcode EC1N 2HT
Check out the drop-down list for the Title field

I believe the BBC has even  more, but their registration is more intrusive.

///Peter