Preserving Source Data with Gramps

TJMcK
I believe that it's important to preserve source data, in Gramps, the way it is displayed in the source.  Gramps seems to support this in most of it's data fields.  For instance, I may have many different spellings of a surnames (which might even include errors).  The feature to group surnames helps me to "standardize" a surname. Still, there is room for improvement in Gramps, with regard to the display and manipulation of individuals' names (but it is currently manageable).

Here's the problem that I currently having with Gramps... I cannot find a way to use and manage actual source placenames, while using the current auto generating of place names.  I would like to see two distinct fields.

I find it somewhat alarming, when I go on websites or get Gedcoms, to find source data that has been turned into something that has little resemblance to the actual data found in the source.  I imaging this "bad habit" is, in part, due to the Gedcom standard development that only allows for one place name per event.  As well, many websites (including Ancestry.com) only allow for one place.  And so, it follows, that we feel the need to fill in the blanks (if the source information is not as we would like to see it)  However, I think if Gramps provides the ability to easily enter both the original source format and the standardized auto generated placename, then the user might be more prone to maintaining the accuracy of his data.  Can we get Gramps to support this?

Re: Preserving Source Data with Gramps

Nick Hall
On 08/08/16 23:30, TJMcK wrote:
> However, I think if Gramps provides the ability to easily enter both the
> original source format and the standardized auto generated placename, then
> the user might be more prone to maintaining the accuracy of his data.  Can
> we get Gramps to support this?

I store place names as described in sources as event attributes. Each
source can supply a different place description for the event.

Then I use the event place to point to a single conclusion place.  This
will then be displayed in a standardised format.

Re: Preserving Source Data with Gramps

TJMcK
This post was updated on .
That's an interesting way of doing it.  I really haven't utilized attributes the way I could... and often forget about the option.  If I chose to do this, wouldn't it be nice to import gedcom/data placenames as an attribute (as placenames are rarely standardized on import)?

ADDED: I tested this idea, and part of the problem with this is that it's really difficult to search/filter an attribute of an event -- it has to be done initially in the Event Window and then the Person View.  There is no way of finding an event attribute value when in the Person View with the QuickFilter or SidebarFilter.

Is there anyone else who enters two placenames for an event?

Re: Preserving Source Data with Gramps

adrian.davey
But just how do you use attributes in this way? Exactly which attribute
name do you use? Gramps seems to allow creation of a new attribute name,
but then does NOT make it available for subsequent reuse? And as best I
can tell I cannot remove attribute names from the drop-down I am never
going to want to use?

I have been trying to use attributes to signal the quite variable
"precision" with which some events may be linked to a place*, without
having to create an endless nest of vaguely defined and almost always
overlapping regions around items in the Places table.

But the fact I cannot re-use custom attribute names via the drop-down
makes this unworkable.

* e.g. a burial that is recorded for a cemetery has a reasonably precise
location, even if the actual plot is not known, whereas the region in
which a family was resident at the time of registration of an event
identifies the place of residence only  indirectly, and only within a
substantial and ill-defined buffer distance which varies according  to
whatever forms of transport were most likely to have been relevant, and
various other local and technological factors; I do not want someone to
think lat/long co-ordinates have meaning for a region in which an event
is likely to have taken place and which may have a precisely defined
centroid, but which is of essentially unknown shape and of extremely
approximate "radius"; and I am definitely not going to create an endless
series of ill-defined regions within the gramps places table for this
purpose!

Adrian