Print single families on different PDF files

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Print single families on different PDF files

Hermann M
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)
2) I want print single family tree, of all families. i.g.: family1.pdf, family2.pdf, and so on... how can I do it? :-)
 ( OS: Ubuntu - GRAMPS vers. 5.0.1 - Language: italian)

A batch command line shell script could be useful too :-)  (but i don't know how do it)
i.g.
 gramps --print-family=001
 gramps --print-family=002
 ...
 gramps --print-family=200


Thanks


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print single families on different PDF files

Peter Merchant
On 21/05/2019 08:58, Hermann M wrote:
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)

You are here. It was agreed not long ago by users that this mailing list is how we resolve problems, and communicate.

I am not sure whether you can see past responses on line. I have never tried. But as I use Thunderbird I mark with a gold star interesting mails that I may want to refer to again.


Enjoy. Peter M.



--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print single families on different PDF files

Janusz S. Bień
On Tue, May 21 2019 at  8:18 +00, Peter Merchant wrote:

[...]

> I am not sure whether you can see past responses on line.

https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,  
Janusz S. Bien
emeryt (emeritus)
https://sites.google.com/view/jsbien


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print single families on different PDF files

Ron Johnson
In reply to this post by Hermann M
On 5/21/19 2:58 AM, Hermann M wrote:
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)

Subscribe to the mailing list.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/lists/gramps-users

2) I want print single family tree, of all families. i.g.: family1.pdf, family2.pdf, and so on... how can I do it? :-)
 ( OS: Ubuntu - GRAMPS vers. 5.0.1 - Language: italian)

A batch command line shell script could be useful too :-)  (but i don't know how do it)
i.g.
 gramps --print-family=001
 gramps --print-family=002
 ...
 gramps --print-family=200

There's a way to print Family Group Reports (any report, to be honest) from the command line.

It's in the format:
$ gramps -O yourtree -a report -p name=family_group,family_id=F00012,of=F00012.odt


--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print single families on different PDF files

Nick Hall
On 21/05/2019 09:40, Ron Johnson wrote:
> There's a way to print Family Group Reports (any report, to be honest)
> from the command line.
>
> It's in the format:
> $ gramps -O yourtree -a report -p
> name=family_group,family_id=F00012,of=F00012.odt

There is also a section in the manual describing command line usage:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Command_Line


Nick.




--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Print single families on different PDF files

GRAMPS - User mailing list
In reply to this post by Hermann M
Have you considered generating a Single, combined PDF instead of all those separate files? It would be much easier to search & distribute. It could be segmented if the PDF was too large. There are many PDF tools that break a big PDF into multiple documents. 

If you want all the families descended from 1 ancestral family, a single PDF is easy to generate from the interface using the Family Group Report. 

1) find the the "Center Family" Ancestor in the Families category view
2) Reports : Text Reports : Family Group Report...
3) go through ALL the tabs & set up your choices (these will be remembered for next use)...
Since you are using Gramps internationally, the defaults will probably not be appropriate. Pay particular attention to:
      Paper Options, & 
      Report Options (2):Translation (Italian)
4) to include ALL descendant families, select the "Recursive (down)" checkbox in "Report Options"
5) set "Output Format:" to PDF document

I don't think you REALLY want ALL families... in my database that would be over 10,300 families! (It would probably take hours to generate too.) But if you do want ALL, you can choose "Every family" in the "Filter" pop-up menu of "Report Options"

(WARNING! I haven't tried it, but the Recursive option is probably DANGEROUS in combination with more than ONE center family in the Filter!!!!! It might generate hundreds of Descendant Family pages for each of thousands of Families.)

See:


As a final thought... if you are a Python programmer (or if one owes you a favor) it probably wouldn't be too big of a project to make a copy of this report and change the output to generate separate PDF documents for each Filter family with the Family ID appended to each filename. (But make sure it projects the number of documents remaining to Print/Generate with support for 'Abort/Cancel'!)


-Brian

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 3:00, Hermann M
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)
2) I want print single family tree, of all families. i.g.: family1.pdf, family2.pdf, and so on... how can I do it? :-)
 ( OS: Ubuntu - GRAMPS vers. 5.0.1 - Language: italian)

A batch command line shell script could be useful too :-)  (but i don't know how do it)
i.g.
 gramps --print-family=001
 gramps --print-family=002
 ...
 gramps --print-family=200


Thanks
--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R: Print single families on different PDF files

Hermann M
Hi Emyoulation,
Thanks for answering but I need to print single family graph, for each family 🙂

I need this command:
gramps -O 'Albero genealogico 1' -a report -p "name=familylines_graph,family_id=F0004,off=pdf,of=family_graph_F0004.pdf"

but family_id is an unknow option for "familylines_graph" because I can specify family_id only for "family_group" (as explained in https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugins_Command_Line ):
gramps -O 'Albero genealogico 1' -a report -p "name=family_group,family_id=F0003,off=pdf,of=family_graph_F0003.pdf"

but I need "familylines_graph" for specified family_id.

That's a very big limit... I can't see any different solution, I can't imagine my problem is not as common as I supposed.

How can I solve it?
Thanks


Da: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Inviato: martedì 21 maggio 2019 16:10
A: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [Gramps-users] Print single families on different PDF files
 
Have you considered generating a Single, combined PDF instead of all those separate files? It would be much easier to search & distribute. It could be segmented if the PDF was too large. There are many PDF tools that break a big PDF into multiple documents. 

If you want all the families descended from 1 ancestral family, a single PDF is easy to generate from the interface using the Family Group Report. 

1) find the the "Center Family" Ancestor in the Families category view
2) Reports : Text Reports : Family Group Report...
3) go through ALL the tabs & set up your choices (these will be remembered for next use)...
Since you are using Gramps internationally, the defaults will probably not be appropriate. Pay particular attention to:
      Paper Options, & 
      Report Options (2):Translation (Italian)
4) to include ALL descendant families, select the "Recursive (down)" checkbox in "Report Options"
5) set "Output Format:" to PDF document

I don't think you REALLY want ALL families... in my database that would be over 10,300 families! (It would probably take hours to generate too.) But if you do want ALL, you can choose "Every family" in the "Filter" pop-up menu of "Report Options"

(WARNING! I haven't tried it, but the Recursive option is probably DANGEROUS in combination with more than ONE center family in the Filter!!!!! It might generate hundreds of Descendant Family pages for each of thousands of Families.)

See:


As a final thought... if you are a Python programmer (or if one owes you a favor) it probably wouldn't be too big of a project to make a copy of this report and change the output to generate separate PDF documents for each Filter family with the Family ID appended to each filename. (But make sure it projects the number of documents remaining to Print/Generate with support for 'Abort/Cancel'!)


-Brian

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 3:00, Hermann M
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)
2) I want print single family tree, of all families. i.g.: family1.pdf, family2.pdf, and so on... how can I do it? :-)
 ( OS: Ubuntu - GRAMPS vers. 5.0.1 - Language: italian)

A batch command line shell script could be useful too :-)  (but i don't know how do it)
i.g.
 gramps --print-family=001
 gramps --print-family=002
 ...
 gramps --print-family=200


Thanks
--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R: Print single families on different PDF files

Ron Johnson

I'm not sure gramps can do what you want.

On 5/21/19 6:23 PM, Hermann M wrote:
Hi Emyoulation,
Thanks for answering but I need to print single family graph, for each family 🙂

I need this command:
gramps -O 'Albero genealogico 1' -a report -p "name=familylines_graph,family_id=F0004,off=pdf,of=family_graph_F0004.pdf"

but family_id is an unknow option for "familylines_graph" because I can specify family_id only for "family_group" (as explained in https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Plugins_Command_Line ):
gramps -O 'Albero genealogico 1' -a report -p "name=family_group,family_id=F0003,off=pdf,of=family_graph_F0003.pdf"

but I need "familylines_graph" for specified family_id.

That's a very big limit... I can't see any different solution, I can't imagine my problem is not as common as I supposed.

How can I solve it?
Thanks


Da: [hidden email] [hidden email]
Inviato: martedì 21 maggio 2019 16:10
A: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Oggetto: Re: [Gramps-users] Print single families on different PDF files
 
Have you considered generating a Single, combined PDF instead of all those separate files? It would be much easier to search & distribute. It could be segmented if the PDF was too large. There are many PDF tools that break a big PDF into multiple documents. 

If you want all the families descended from 1 ancestral family, a single PDF is easy to generate from the interface using the Family Group Report. 

1) find the the "Center Family" Ancestor in the Families category view
2) Reports : Text Reports : Family Group Report...
3) go through ALL the tabs & set up your choices (these will be remembered for next use)...
Since you are using Gramps internationally, the defaults will probably not be appropriate. Pay particular attention to:
      Paper Options, & 
      Report Options (2):Translation (Italian)
4) to include ALL descendant families, select the "Recursive (down)" checkbox in "Report Options"
5) set "Output Format:" to PDF document

I don't think you REALLY want ALL families... in my database that would be over 10,300 families! (It would probably take hours to generate too.) But if you do want ALL, you can choose "Every family" in the "Filter" pop-up menu of "Report Options"

(WARNING! I haven't tried it, but the Recursive option is probably DANGEROUS in combination with more than ONE center family in the Filter!!!!! It might generate hundreds of Descendant Family pages for each of thousands of Families.)

See:


As a final thought... if you are a Python programmer (or if one owes you a favor) it probably wouldn't be too big of a project to make a copy of this report and change the output to generate separate PDF documents for each Filter family with the Family ID appended to each filename. (But make sure it projects the number of documents remaining to Print/Generate with support for 'Abort/Cancel'!)


-Brian

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 3:00, Hermann M
Hi,
hoping writing correctly on mailing list, I'm a new user.
I need to ask some info(s)

1) Does exist a GRAMPS forum to speak about problems and usage of GRAMPS? :-)
GRAMPS is a wonderful project, a forum could be very useful and hand-on to find previous answered questions, just as a suggest :-)
2) I want print single family tree, of all families. i.g.: family1.pdf, family2.pdf, and so on... how can I do it? :-)
 ( OS: Ubuntu - GRAMPS vers. 5.0.1 - Language: italian)

A batch command line shell script could be useful too :-)  (but i don't know how do it)
i.g.
 gramps --print-family=001
 gramps --print-family=002
 ...
 gramps --print-family=200



--
Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.


--
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
https://gramps-project.org