Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Chris Wood
This sounds like a real novice question but I'm close to tearing my hair out (which I can ill-afford to do).

I want to print the output from the familylines report across multiple pages but I can't figure out how to it. I'm on Linux Mint. I've tried converting the PDF output using pdfposter but it loses the lines on the graph. PosteRazor will do it for an image file but not SVG. I've found ways of converting SVG to e.g. JPG but the resolution is way too low. A suggestion for converting PDF to an image is to print to file and use an image format (jpg, png) but my system doesn't offer an image option.

Windows users can apparently use a printing option in Acrobat Reader, but on Linux I don't have that option.

I could do it by zooming the PDF and scrolling taking multiple screen shots, but surely there must be a better way.

The crazy thing is that I've done this before but can't remember how. Help!

Re: Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Chris Wood
Acrobat would be great, but as I said, unfortunately not available on Linux. And my printer doesn't provide an option to print across multiple sheets.

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 22:13, Adrian Davey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, the option you are looking for is "tile large pages", which is definitely built into Acrobat Professional (at least on Win), and although I use it rather than the Reader, you may well be correct that the Reader gives you that option too on Win.

But many printers allow you to print the document to multiple sheets, or to print multiple copies of the same page scaled down onto a single sheet. If I am, for example, printing a large gramps chart from inkscape (rather than saving it to pdf which is more normal for me), my Brother laser printer has a preferences setting on the "Basic" tab called "Multiple page", which defaults to "Normal", but can be set to either tile, or to print multiple pages scaled down to the one printer sheet. The tile options are more limited than the sliding scale % in Acrobat (for the Brother they are 2 in 1, 4 in 1, 9 in 1, 16 in 1 or 25 in 1), but might work for you.

Re: Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Chris Wood
I've managed to figure out a way to do this. I'm sure it's not the only way but this works.

PosteRazor is a tool I've used before for printing a rastered image across multiple sheets. While the Gramps report (Familylines) can produce JPG and PNG output, the resolution is too low to print scaled-up. However, if you produce SVG output from the report instead, you can then open this in GIMP (Linux's equivalent to Photoshop) and scale up the image as GIMP renders the SVG file (I used 10x), adjust the canvas size so it just surrounds the image, and then export it as a JPG. This image is now big enough for PosteRazor to use.

Re: Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Family lines graph already has an option for multiple page printout to pdf.  You use the PDF (Ghostscript) output type, and then use the Graphviz layout tab to select the number of pages in the horizontal/vertical direction.  You would normally select a paper size compatible with your printer.

You do have to use a pdf viewer with system print capability afterword, to actually print the results on paper.

When used this way there is a slight overlap in what is printed on each page to allow the user to cut (with scissors) the paper and tape it together into a larger sheet.

Paul C.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 5:59 AM Chris Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Chris noted that his Linux system doesn't support PDF.

I don't know about Mac but a Reader wasn't built into Windows either... until that crappy one added in Windows 8. The one for Win10 is better but the self-reinstalling & Intrusive Adobe Updater makes me wish they hadn't included ANY Adobe evilness for Windows 10 either. The Windows PDF print driver is also crap. I've replaced the PDF printer driver & reader with non-Adobe solutions.

Is there a recommended PDF tool that will add support for Linux?

-Brian

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 11:40, Paul Culley
You do have to use a pdf viewer with system print capability afterword, to actually print the results on paper.

Re: Printing Gramps report across multiple sh

Patrick Gerlier

I have no problem with my Fedora Linux. I installed two desktops: KDE and MATE, the latter mainly for Gramps. I have therefore two PDF viewers: Okular under KDE and Atril under MATE (but they can be used criss-crossed). I personally find Atril more limited than Okular, thus I prefer the second.

My problem is rather with my printer which is a quite old high-definition PostScript laser printer. It does not understand natively PDF. Consequently, I must make sure I send PostScript before launching the print task.

Patrick

Le 09/12/2019 à 18:57, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users a écrit :
Chris noted that his Linux system doesn't support PDF.

I don't know about Mac but a Reader wasn't built into Windows either... until that crappy one added in Windows 8. The one for Win10 is better but the self-reinstalling & Intrusive Adobe Updater makes me wish they hadn't included ANY Adobe evilness for Windows 10 either. The Windows PDF print driver is also crap. I've replaced the PDF printer driver & reader with non-Adobe solutions.

Is there a recommended PDF tool that will add support for Linux?

-Brian

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 11:40, Paul Culley
You do have to use a pdf viewer with system print capability afterword, to actually print the results on paper.

Re: Printing Gramps report across multiple sheets

Chris Wood
Thanks Paul!! I'd ignored these options because they were always disabled, as I now see, because of my choice of output. I should have looked closer.

And referring to another response: I don't think I said that my system didn't support PDF files. I said Adobe Reader isn't available on Linux.

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 17:39, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

PDF support in Linux

Bill Gee

I have had my own fights with PDF support in Linux. I use Fedora distributions, though I think much of what I have seen exists in other distros as well. I don't know how much of what I am about to say applies to Chris Woods' original request - but it may offer some ideas for investigation.

Another of my activities is creating cave maps. The output of the drawing software I use is a PDF built with vectors. For even a small cave there can be tens of thousands of vectors in a map. Big ones contain millions of vectors. Using vectors means there is no loss of detail when you zoom in, but it also makes the PDF very difficult to render.

At one time there was a version of Adobe Reader for Linux. I think it still works, if you can find the installer for it. It is 32-bit only, so requires 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system. It is also old and not maintained. Adobe Reader, even this old version, still renders those complex cave maps faster than anything else.

Anything that depends on the Poppler libraries (Okular, Evince etc.) will take a very long time to render a cave map. The difference is startling - perhaps 5 or 8 seconds for Adobe Reader vs. 10 to 15 minutes (yes, minutes!) for Poppler-based viewers. XPDF also takes many minutes to render. The original rendition takes this long, and every time you scroll or zoom in or out, it takes that long again. It is unusable for this purpose.

I found Master PDF Editor which exists in a native Linux version. It can render the cave maps in a reasonable time, though still not nearly as fast as Adobe Reader. It is fast enough to be usable.

https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/

In desperation I set up a Windows virtual machine. On it I find that Adobe Reader renders the cave maps very fast. Sumatra PDF is also very fast. Microsoft Edge is worthless, and in fact will not completely render many of the maps. Intrusive it may be, but I keep a copy of Adobe Reader on the Windows VM just for dealing with cave maps. Nothing else works as well.

I have not checked any of these to see how they might apply to the original request. The cave drawing software I use has an "atlas" feature which will generate a cave map across many PDF pages. Those pages can be taped together to produce a large scale map. This does not depend in any way on the PDF viewer. As far as the PDF viewer is concerned, the atlas is a multi-page PDF document. This is a similar result to what Chris Wood is asking for, though the generation method is completely different.

On the plus side for Linux, there are many very good command line tools for dealing with PDF files. Splitting a multi-page file into individual one-page files is easy. The reverse is also easy. GhostScript and ImageMagick provide most of these tools, and both are available for Windows.

ImageMagick has a utility called "convert" which can turn a PDF into a JPG. When you run it, there is a command line option to specify the resolution of the image. If you specify a high resolution, like several thousand dots per inch, it should produce a file that can be carved into letter-size pieces and still have enough resolution to be useful.

--

Bill Gee

On Monday, December 9, 2019 11:57:16 AM CST Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> Chris noted that his Linux system doesn't support PDF.

> I don't know about Mac but a Reader wasn't built into Windows either... until that crappy one added in Windows 8. The one for Win10 is better but the self-reinstalling & Intrusive Adobe Updater makes me wish they hadn't included ANY Adobe evilness for Windows 10 either. The Windows PDF print driver is also crap. I've replaced the PDF printer driver & reader with non-Adobe solutions.

> Is there a recommended PDF tool that will add support for Linux?

> -Brian

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 11:40, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:You do have to use a pdf viewer with system print capability afterword, to actually print the results on paper.

Re: PDF support in Linux

ceperman
Bill Gee wrote
> At one time there was a version of Adobe Reader for Linux.  I think it
> still works, if you can find the installer for it.  It is 32-bit only, so
> requires 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system.  It is also old and not
> maintained.  Adobe Reader, even this old version, still renders those
> complex cave maps faster than anything else.

Yes, I was actually aware of this, but as you say, it's old, not maintained,
32 bit, and full of security holes. I didn't want to go there, and my
existing PDF viewer is good enough (usually!) for my needs. I appreciate all
the advice though.