Private Records

FamilyTree(Peter Griffin)
Hi

I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
option of can a workaround be suggested.

regards

Peter

Re: Private Records

enno
Hi Peter,
> I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
> create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
> records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
> with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
> records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
> to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
> option of can a workaround be suggested.
If the report doesn't have it, maybe you can export a data.gramps file
excluding private records, import that into a new tree, and make the
report from there. It's more work, but if you don't make these reports
often, it may be worth the extra trouble.

cheers,

Re: Private Records

On 04/08/2016 08:37 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>> I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
>> create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
>> records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
>> with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
>> records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
>> to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
>> option of can a workaround be suggested.
> If the report doesn't have it, maybe you can export a data.gramps file
> excluding private records, import that into a new tree, and make the
> report from there. It's more work, but if you don't make these reports
> often, it may be worth the extra trouble.

Or create an ODT file which you edit in LibreOffice/OpenOffice, then export
to PDF.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Private Records

Paul Franklin-5
> I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
> create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
> records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
> with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
> records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
> to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
> option of can a workaround be suggested.

You don't say what version of gramps you are using,  That matters.

The Detailed Descendant report got the option to exclude private
data in 4.2.0, so if you are using 4.1.3 or earlier you won't see it.

Re: Private Records

FamilyTree(Peter Griffin)
Paul

I guess that must be what the issue is. I am running Ubuntu 14 with
Gramps 4.0.3.

questions:
1) can I upgrade gramps to 4.2 using U14 or do I have to upgrade the OS
as well?
2) I just noticed that divorce records have a similar issue, ie. they
appear on the web but not in the printed reports, was this fixed as well??

thanks for the info.

Peter

On 16-04-08 01:41 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

>> I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
>> create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
>> records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
>> with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
>> records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
>> to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
>> option of can a workaround be suggested.
> You don't say what version of gramps you are using,  That matters.
>
> The Detailed Descendant report got the option to exclude private
> data in 4.2.0, so if you are using 4.1.3 or earlier you won't see it.

Re: Private Records

Paul Franklin-5
> I guess that must be what the issue is. I am running Ubuntu 14 with
> Gramps 4.0.3.

> 1) can I upgrade gramps to 4.2 using U14 or do I have to upgrade the OS
> as well?

I am sorry but I don't run Ubuntu/Mint/Debian, etc.

Some other user will have to advise you.

On 08/04/16 19:03, FamilyTree(Peter Griffin) wrote:
> 1) can I upgrade gramps to 4.2 using U14 or do I have to upgrade the OS
> as well?

No, you don't have to upgrade your OS.

I suggest that you check your places before upgrading.  Are all your
main locations complete and contain all the information in your place
names?  Do your places look correct in the place tree view?

Make a full backup to Gramps XML before you upgrade.   After the
upgrade, import this into an empty database.

Re: Private Records

n00b
"places" has been a problem for me too. i input them all as what they were: cities, countries, etc. when i upgraded to i forget which version of gramps, it wiped out *all* the designations along with wiping out the top line in the input dialog. i figured i didn't do something right so fixed all my places, took almost 6 hours to fix them all because i have a lot of places. later i upgraded again and gramps did the same thing. thus i really don't want to fix my places yet again (as i have even more now) and have gramps strip out so much places information yet again. or is, was that a bug that's been fixed? thanks.

Re: Private Records

Paul Franklin-5
On 4/8/16, FamilyTree(Peter Griffin) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2) I just noticed that divorce records have a similar issue, ie. they
> appear on the web but not in the printed reports, was this fixed as well??

When I ran the detailed descendant report on the "data.gramps"
example family tree (which is shipped with every gramps I think),
I noticed that "Divorce" events were listed, as well as sentences
starting "He also married" and "She also married".

So I'd say they are in the current report, although whether I'd use
the word "fixed" is debatable.  8-)

Make sure you have the box checked to "Include events".

Re: Private Records

Douglas Bainbridge
On 08/04/16 19:13, Ron Johnson wrote:
I run Gramps 4.2.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 with no issues.  You might need to manually install some dependencies, though.

(Before upgrading to 4.2, I strongly urge you to clean up your Places by getting them as consistent as possible.)

<snip>

+1
That can't be emphasised strongly enough!. It'll save you a lot of grief later on - believe it!

Doug

Re: Private Records

Douglas Bainbridge
On 08/04/16 22:33, n00b wrote:

> "places" has been a problem for me too. i input them all as what they were:
> cities, countries, etc. when i upgraded to i forget which version of gramps,
> it wiped out *all* the designations along with wiping out the top line in
> the input dialog. i figured i didn't do something right so fixed all my
> places, took almost 6 hours to fix them all because i have a lot of places.
> later i upgraded again and gramps did the same thing. thus i really don't
> want to fix my places yet again (as i have even more now) and have gramps
> strip out so much places information yet again. or is, was that a bug that's
> been fixed? thanks.

"wiping out the top line" sounds like you have automatic
title generation switched on. You can enable or disable this in
Edit=>Preferences=> Places=> Enable automatic place title
generation.
but it doesn't become effective until after you close gramps
and re-start it.
If it's disabled you'll see whatever you typed in the place
title; if enabled, whatever the title generator can produce.
Note that the generated title isn't permanently recorded,
whereas the input title is, so you can switch from input to
generated title and back again as often as you like (closing
and restarting gramps each time of course).
That may show you what you've actually got recorded.

HTH

Doug

Re: Private Records

n00b
yes, one line auto-generates as i'm typing the other one. i'd look at the dialog right now but since gramps refuses to start up on the mac now, i can't. i'll deffo turn that off the next time i'm back on winders and hope that helps. thanks!

Re: Private Records

FamilyTree(Peter Griffin)
Hello Everybody

Well I seem to have all of my earlier concerns sorted out. This would not have happened without the generous input from you all, Merci.... If you will indulge me, I would like to summarize my experience for those of us who are less experienced in the Gramps world.

1) It was correctly pointed out that there was a version number issue, I needed to get to V4.2, and in this transition I need to cleanup the places info?????? I soon found out what this meant.
    I am running Ubuntu 14 and Gramps 4.03, the upgrade steps are the following:
  1. Backup 4.03 and put the file somewhere convenient(desktop)
  2. make sure that the proper version of python is installed, leave the older version alone, you might need it.
  3. un-install gramps 4.03
  4. Install V4.2. When you start it up and goto the family tree manager you will probably see the 4.03 version there, do not use it. In my experience it will read it in but in the process convert it to the new schema, so there is no going back!! Instead, do as suggested, create new empty tree and import you 4.03 backup from the desktop. Once it opens go to Places and check its integrity. If it is like mine, half will be Ok and the other half not so!! The half that was in error was because when I input the place data I was not rigorous enough, the descriptor was always there but sometime not the underlying data. This needed to be corrected. Once again in my hands the easiest way to do this is to go back to V4.03, correct the data then re-import into a NEW TREE under V4.2. Going back to V4.03 is actually quite easy and takes no more that 5 minutes. ie. un-install V4.2, reinstall V4.03, start V4.03. Since nothing was done to the old version of Python all the files etc are still there. When launched, V4.03 is right back where you left off. Make all of your corrections and then do another backup to your desktop. (go back to #3)

2) Once I was happy with the new data I went and selected a report, deselected "include private data" and everything worked.
3) The Divorce record issue was a little more challenging. The Descendant Report has a selectable option to include Divorce data or not. The Detailed Descendant Report does not. After spending a few       frustrating moments I went back and re-read some of the emails and found the following, "Don't forget to select include events". When I selected it, sure enough the Divorce data was displayed in the reports.

Coffee time,

Peter

On 16-04-08 01:41 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:
I have a database with certain records marked as "Private". When I
create a "Narrated" report, content is as expected in that Private
records are not included in the output. I seem to be having an issue
with the Detailed Descendant Report. It seems to include all the Private
records regardless of what I do. I have not found any "tick" boxes etc
to select this option.  Can anybody tell me where I would find such an
option of can a workaround be suggested.
You don't say what version of gramps you are using,  That matters.

The Detailed Descendant report got the option to exclude private
data in 4.2.0, so if you are using 4.1.3 or earlier you won't see it.

Re: Private Records

n00b
great summarization, thanks!! 👍

Re: Private Records

paul womack
FamilyTree(Peter Griffin) wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>
> Well I seem to have all of my earlier concerns sorted out. This would not have happened without the generous input from you all, Merci.... If you will indulge me, I would like to summarize my experience for those of us who are less experienced in the Gramps world.
>
> 1) It was correctly pointed out that there was a version number issue, I needed to get to V4.2, and in this transition I need to cleanup the places info?????? I soon found out what this meant.
>      I am running Ubuntu 14 and Gramps 4.03, the upgrade steps are the following:
>
>  1. Backup 4.03 and put the file somewhere convenient(desktop)
>  2. make sure that the proper version of python is installed, leave the older version alone, you might need it.
>  3. un-install gramps 4.03
>  4. Install V4.2. When you start it up and goto the family tree manager you will probably see the 4.03 version there, do not use it. In my experience it will read it in but in the process convert it to the new schema, so there is no going back!! Instead, do as suggested, create new empty tree and import you 4.03 backup from the desktop. Once it opens go to Places and check its integrity. If it is like mine, half will be Ok and the other half not so!! The half that was in error was because when I
>     input the place data I was not rigorous enough, the descriptor was always there but sometime not the underlying data. This needed to be corrected. Once again in my hands the easiest way to do this is to go back to V4.03, correct the data then re-import into a NEW TREE under V4.2. Going back to V4.03 is actually quite easy and takes no more that 5 minutes. ie. un-install V4.2, reinstall V4.03, start V4.03. Since nothing was done to the old version of Python all the files etc are still there.
>     When launched, V4.03 is right back where you left off. Make all of your corrections and then do another backup to your desktop. (go back to #3)

It is possible to run Gramps directly from an unpacked source tree. In this way you can leave
3.* installed as your "default"  Gramps, and explicitly run 4.* for testing/trialling your data.

When you're happy with your data (I spent a couple of weeks doing this), you can finally
uninstall 3.* and install 4.* "properly".

Since I've made a couple of modifications to the source (changes the dev team deem wrong, which
is their prerogative) I always install from source anyway.

  BugBear