Pro-Gen plugins

Paul Franklin-5
This is a suggestion I made as a github pull request
comment earlier today.  I think it deserves consideration.

I think it would make sense for the Pro-Gen importer and
exporter to be removed from "core" gramps and placed in the
third-party addon repository instead, since it seems to me
to be primarily a third-party author-supported piece of
software, first by Kees and now by Alois.

It seems to me that it is not logically a piece of "core"
gramps, the way the GEDCOM importer and exporter are. That
way the maintainer could do whatever he wanted to them, as
often as desired. The gramps50 version of the addon could
have the new features which were rejected for inclusion into
core gramps50 a few days ago for instance, and wouldn't have
to wait until 5.1.0 is released for users to have them.

Among other things, that would allow translations to be made
as often as wanted, in the addon repository -- weekly even.  8-)

More importantly, the Pro-Gen strings would not end up in
gramps.pot, where they need to be translated into every
gramps-supported language, even ones highly unlikely to need
them.  Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew. Japanese, and Turkish come
to mind for instance.

But really, isn't the Pro-Gen importer (and exporter) only
likely to be used in the Netherlands and in German-speaking
countries? Those two languages (and English) were the only
ones the Pro-Gen software was made in, after all.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have the Pro-Gen things
as third-party plugins, where they could have only  Dutch and
German translation files? That seems to me to be a better
solution than forcing all our translators to do extra work, which
in all probability will never be needed.

So that is what I am proposing.  The present time seems like
a good one to me, since we have an active Pro-Gen developer
who could make the changes, and also because the final 5.0.0
release isn't done yet, so users haven't started using the
new Pro-Gen UI and features yet.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

"Alois Pöttker"
The arguments of Paul are mostly correct, especially the usage.

Pro-Gen is very popular in the Netherlands and North-West Germany,
often used by people starts decades before today colleting data and
storing this in a DOS based program (what is it almost still today,
patched up to Win 10).

So I've no problems moving the code out of the Core into the AddOn area.
Cause I'm quite new in Gramps developing, never done this work, I need the
advise of a senior programmer how to arrange this.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

prculley
I'm not a 'senior developer' but here goes:

First, remove your files from the main repo branches (Assume Gramps50, Gramps42 and master).  This includes the plugins/importer/importprogen.py, and data/tests/SAMPLE.* files.  Next edit the plugins/importer/import.gpr.py to remove the progen section.

If you want to continue to utilize the Travis test, you can leave the data/tests/SAMPLE.* files, but will have to edit the .travis.yml to make sure Travis installs your progen plugin from its repo.  You would add a couple more lines the the # Install addons section (wget and tar).  These lines differ slightly depending on the git branch.  And gramps42 branch doesn't do Travis tests on imports so you can skip this there.

To make a new plugin, create the progen.gpr.py file out of what you removed from the plugins/importer/import.gpr.py file.
Then follow instructions in https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addons_development
Since you already have it written, you mostly will want to look over the sections near the end on publishing it.

During the internationalization steps, you should automatically get ??-local.po files created from the original Gramps po files so you should not have to redo any work there.

Note you have to do the removal and various publishing steps for each branch.  You should also carefully test the gramps42 branch after you copy the progen files to it or merge in your changes, there have been a few API changes between gramps42 and gramps50/master that might cause troubles.

Since you had to ask, I assume you don't have push rights to the addons repo, so you should make a PR containing the changes for your plugin.  I think that all developers have push rights to addons-source repo.

Please read the wiki carefully, there are a lot of steps, and it's pretty easy to mess it up.

Paul C.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 5:14 AM, "Alois Pöttker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The arguments of Paul are mostly correct, especially the usage.

Pro-Gen is very popular in the Netherlands and North-West Germany,
often used by people starts decades before today colleting data and
storing this in a DOS based program (what is it almost still today,
patched up to Win 10).

So I've no problems moving the code out of the Core into the AddOn area.
Cause I'm quite new in Gramps developing, never done this work, I need the
advise of a senior programmer how to arrange this.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Paul Franklin-5
I strongly suggest you leave gramps42 alone.  Don't
remove anything from "core" gramps42, don't add the
Pro-Gen importer or exporter to the addon gramps42.

I was only proposing doing the changes for gramps50.

Remember, your original massive Pro-Gen change
was only put into "master" -- which is now gramps50.
It was deemed too large (and thus too risky) to be put
into a "maintenance" branch which only got bug fixes,
like gramps42.

So leave the "legacy" code alone in gramps42. That way
no Pro-Gen users will suddenly be surprised (although I
personally think it is very unlikely that a 4.2.7 gramps will
ever exist -- but I have guessed wrong before, about when
5.0.0 will be released).

When Pro-Gen users start using 5.0.0 and ask how come
they don't see it anymore, they will be directed to download
the addon (although I will admit that many users seem to
just download all the addons, in which case they won't even
notice they have moved).

Don't hesitate to ask for help.  Everybody is "new" many times
in life, at many different things (schools, jobs, volunteer groups,
and so on).

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Paul Franklin-5
Also, I am not in charge of things like that, but it used
to be the case that when any developer was granted
commit rights to the "core" github gramps repo, that
they were automatically added to the addon repo also,
for bug fixes and so forth.  But it's easy enough to test.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Paul Franklin-5
Also, I am not in charge of things like that either, but I think
it is the case that in general developers are not supposed
to be making changes in "master" which they have made
in gramps50 first.  I think the idea is that "a senior developer"
moves the gramps50 changes into master occasionally.

But that is only true for "core" gramps.  I think you have to
add things to the addon "master" yourself.  But note that if
you add your pending pull requests into the moved Pro-Gen
code, as I mentioned earlier, then your gramps50 addon
Pro-Gen files will be essentially the same in both addon
branches, since all the improvements will be in gramps50
there, even if they are not allowed to be in "core" gramps50.
So the addon master ones will be the same, except for the
version in the two gpr.py files in the two addon branches.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Paul Franklin-5
In case it will speed things up, does any addon developer
out there feel like volunteering to do the Pro-Gen move?

That way Alois would only have to do the testing of the
moved things -- and possible tweaking.  He would not
have to suddenly learn a whole new way of doing things:
the way the addon repo is set up, makefiles, listings, etc.

I know we have at least three active addon developers
still around.  It might speed up the 5.0.0-alpha3 release.

Just a thought.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

"Alois Pöttker"
I thing this is a good learning experience for me, but if somebody can
delete the Pro-Gen files out of the Master (there are only 3 files:
importprogen.py, importprogen.glade & libprogen.py and few changes
to import.gpr.py) I'd would love to install this as Addon.
I suggest to leave the test stuff (SAMPLE.DEF etc.) at first untouched.
I don't intend to touch the gramps42 tree.

This should not disturb the 5.0.0-alpha3 releasing in any way.
As Paul stated, Addon's can be added / updated later too.

On 01/08/17 17:48, Paul Franklin wrote:
> I strongly suggest you leave gramps42 alone.  Don't
> remove anything from "core" gramps42, don't add the
> Pro-Gen importer or exporter to the addon gramps42.
>
> I was only proposing doing the changes for gramps50.

Don't remove the plugin from any maintenance branch.

Making the improved importer available as a third-party addon for either
gramps42, gramps50 or both would be a good idea.  Users could then give
immediate feedback.

There is no hurry in making a decision about the status of the plugin in
master.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Paul Franklin-5
On 8/1/17, "Alois Pöttker" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This should not disturb the 5.0.0-alpha3 releasing in any way.

But if you're going to be putting it into the addon repo, I
don't think the files should be in "core" gramps50 at the
same time.

That (and thus its translations) was why I suggested it.

So I will wait on the 5.0.0-alpha3 release until the Pro-Gen
files are out of the "core" gramps50 repo.  (Besides, there
is a bug which I want fixed before I do the release.  8-)

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

Nick Hall
On 01/08/17 19:14, Paul Franklin wrote:
> So I will wait on the 5.0.0-alpha3 release until the Pro-Gen
> files are out of the "core" gramps50 repo.  (Besides, there
> is a bug which I want fixed before I do the release.8-)

Please don't remove the plugin from the gramps50 branch.  Only bug fixes
are allowed in maintenance branches.

Re: Pro-Gen plugin

prculley
Especially if you are going to publish the updated plugin as an addon, and not remove it from one or more branches, you should also change the 'id=...' line in your .gpr.py file so that your updated plugin does not conflict with the original one.  These IDs should not have conflicts with other plugins or 'bad things happen'.  You could just change capitalization or add a 'v2' to the end...

Should have thought of that yesterday.

You will have to remove the test files if your remove the plugin, otherwise we will get more Travis test failures.

Paul C.