Problem?? Gramps 4.2 and Media directory structure under Windows for backup & restore

Problem?? Gramps 4.2 and Media directory structure under Windows for backup & restore

Oldest1
After some considerable testing I have concluded that gramps 4.2 for Windows does not seem to preserve the directory structure across a backup and restore.
(There had been a discussion on the user's group before my time and it seemed to imply that there was no problem, - and it may well be a new problem for 4.2)

Feedback from other Windows users is would be very helpful to either verify or debunk this issue.

As a test I used the gramps example.gramps file to import into a new tree after I moved most of the photos to a 'photos' sub-directory and the file scanned_ microfilm to a sub-directory called microfilm, one of the photos was left in the base directory.
When I imported example.gramps, it eventually complained about not being able to find the media files, which isn't too surprising since the recorded default path in example.gramps refers to a Linux box path, and gramps gave me the chance to relink the media references to the correct file locations.

So far so good.
Now I made a backup and imported the backup file back into a different tree. When I looked at the file paths in the media panel, they all had the same base path.
All of the sub-directory structure was gone.

Manually taking the backup apart, I found the same problem.
All media files ended up in the same directory - no sub-directories at all.
(It also showed a potential problem of exceeding limits in both file name and overall path length, but that is another story)

If this is really as I have found - and, being new to gramps, I may well have goofed somewhere along the line - it would be a serious problem for anyone running under Windows and using any sort of directory structure for the media files - and it definitely is for myself.

I have gone through a similar exercise under Mint 17.2 and using the same gramps base 4.2 from github and there it seems to work as advertised and expected.

Could other users who are running Gramps under Windows - even older version - please comment and report their experience and help me (and others, possibly themselves :-) ) resolve this issue one way or the other.

TIA

Arnold

--
Fight Spam - report it with wxSR 0.7
Vista & Win7 compatible

Re: Problem?? Gramps 4.2 and Media directory structure under Windows for backup & restore

adrian.davey
Since the latest version of gramps for windows available at https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

is 4.1.3, do you actually mean v4.2? If so where are you getting it?

I have asked elsewhere here about the expected timeframe for availability of a windows version of gramps 4.2 and there has so far been no useful answer!

I have a test non-production version of 4.2 running under Mint 17.2, but for hardware compatibility reasons I can only use gramps for production at present on a windows machine, where it would seem I am stuck with a buggy 4.1.3, which is a nightmare to actually use with a multi-monitor setup.

On 8/18/2015 4:09 PM, adrian.davey wrote:
 ----------8X-------------------------
Since the latest version of gramps for windows available at
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

is 4.1.3, do you actually mean v4.2? If so where are you getting it?
I am running a cobbled up 4.2. 64-bit version which a set up by:
============================
Installed the AIO beta version from:
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download [^]
Installed/extracted to:
c:\GrampsAIO64-4.2.0-beta2\bin\python.exe
Download the Gramps 4.2 zip from github
Extract it to:
f:\pkg\python\gramps4.2\gramps-maintenance-gramps42
Use the batch file to run it:
===================
::@echo off
:: batch file to invoke the 4.2 release version of gramps
:: Original taken from:
::
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Run_Gramps_from_a_portable_drive
[^]
::
REM Make changes to environment variables local to this block
REM Also makes and directory changes last only for the
duration of the batch file
setlocal

REM START OF SETTINGS
:: It seems this setup NEEDS the gramps version of python as
:: well as all of the libraries
set PYTHON_COMMAND=c:\GrampsAIO64-4.2.0-beta2\bin\python.exe
::set GRAMPS_DIR to where the development code is
set
GRAMPS_DIR=f:\pkg\python\gramps4.2\gramps-maintenance-gramps42
:: make sure we have the gramps executables at the start of
the path
::Set PATH=c:\gramps;c:\gramps\bin;%PATH%
REM END OF SETTINGS

REM Set GRAMPSHOME to the drive and path of this script
set GRAMPSHOME=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\roaming\gramps42
::if exists %GRAMPSHOME% mkdir %GRAMPSHOME%
REM Go to this script location for good measure
:: change the drive first
f:
:: then go to the development directory
cd %GRAMPS_DIR%
pwd
REM Run Gramps
:: display the python version
%PYTHON_COMMAND% -V
%PYTHON_COMMAND% Gramps.py -l
%PYTHON_COMMAND% Gramps.py
REM End the local environment block
endlocal

============================
A 32-bit version ought to be possible by simply using the 32-bit AIO package
in place of the 64-bit version

I have asked elsewhere here about the expected timeframe for availability of
a windows version of gramps 4.2 and there has so far been no useful answer!
Building a Windows version is a bit of a laborious process I think and once someone builds
it, he/she would also likely be called on to 'fix' any short comings and thus might commit himself
to more work than he/she can handle :-)

I have a test non-production version of 4.2 running under Mint 17.2, but for
hardware compatibility reasons I can only use gramps for production at
present on a windows machine, where it would seem I am stuck with a buggy
4.1.3, which is a nightmare to actually use with a multi-monitor setup.
It looks like perhaps the 4.1.3 version has similar problem and IMO, until this is sorted out, you
are better off under Mint.
I don't know about your hardware environment, but I have had no problem running with two
monitors under Vista using Dexpot to manage my monitors and using multiple desktops,
much in the same way as I believe Linux handled multiple desktops.

HTH

Arnold