Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

derHeinzi
This post was updated on .
Resending this message because it hasn't been accepted yet? Don't know why.

I'm quite new to GRAMPS and like the program very much. But I stumbled across the following:
GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP

Probably a bug?
For a person I added some notes regarding E-Mails I sent and received during my research. They included line breaks, the at character and angle brackets. When generating a website everything looks fine except that the text (mail address) in angle brackets is omitted. When generating a detailed person report, the text of the notes is written twice, partly one over the other, interrupted at a page break and has lost its line breaks in the PDF file.

Feature request:
When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing the images.
Would it be possible to add Image Maps to images where image coordinates are given for individual persons? The use of the alt attribute inside the image maps with the name of the person should lead to tooltips being displayed in most browsers when the mouse is over the defined area (face).

derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

jerome
> Feature request:
> When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
> image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But
> the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing
> the images.

Because code does not call media_ref on reports but media object value.
I tried to provide a patch without success :(

There is a [feature Request] on :
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2513

More about:
media_ref (x-y coordinates) are only saved on GRAMPS-XML since last year
! (rev9436)
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Mediaobj_ref.png

derHeinzi a écrit :

> Resending this message because it hasn't been accepted yet? Don't know why.
>
> I'm quite new to GRAMPS and like the program very much. But I stumbled
> across the following:
> GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP
>
> Probably a bug?
> For a person I added some notes regarding E-Mails I sent and received during
> my research. They included line breaks, the at character and angle brackets.
> When generating a website everything looks fine except that the text (mail
> address) in angle brackets is omitted. When generating a detailed person
> report, the text of the notes is written twice, partly one over the other,
> interrupted at a page break and has lost its line breaks in the PDF file.
>
> Feature request:
> When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
> image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But
> the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing
> the images.
> Would it be possible to add Image Maps to images where image coordinates are
> given for individual persons? The use of the alt attribute inside the image
> maps with the name of the person should lead to tooltips being displayed in
> most browsers when the mouse is over the defined area (face).
>
> derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

derHeinzi
Jerome wrote
> Feature request:
> When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
> image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But
> the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing
> the images.

Because code does not call media_ref on reports but media object value.
I tried to provide a patch without success :(

There is a [feature Request] on :
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2513
Thanks for this info, Jerome. But opposite to the feature request I would, at least for the web page generation, prefer to maintain the whole image, but to find information about who is to be seen in the image. There are two possible ways:
- Show tooltip information about the person the cursor points to or
- generate a copy of the image with a "frame" around the person.
(I know there are additional solutions using e.g. Javascript, but since this is always disabled when I'm surfing the net, I would prefer a simple standard HTML solution.)

The disadvantage of the second solution is for web pages, that you have to provide several copies of each image, if the image contains more than one person.
Using the tooltips would have little effect on the size of the webpage sources.

I tried to understand the python code of GRAMPS, but I find it very hard to get the right entry point. Is there something like an UML design diagram which would help to understand how the modules of the program interact and what the general structure of the software looks like?

derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

jerome
> I tried to understand the python code of GRAMPS, but I find it very hard to
> get the right entry point. Is there something like an UML design diagram
> which would help to understand how the modules of the program interact and
> what the general structure of the software looks like?

I made a (non-standard) diagram before, maybe not up-to-date :
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-PyGtk-Help-p10825505.html
(Download Attachment - end of page)

Also, there is an API resume on :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Using_database_API
and draft documentation on :
http://gramps-project.org/api3/

Jérôme

2009/1/17 derHeinzi <[hidden email]>

Resending this message because it hasn't been accepted yet? Don't know why.

I'm quite new to GRAMPS and like the program very much. But I stumbled
across the following:
GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP

Probably a bug?

No, some windows users provide a windows package. GRAMPS is fully cross platform.

For a person I added some notes regarding E-Mails I sent and received during
my research. They included line breaks, the at character and angle brackets.
When generating a website everything looks fine except that the text (mail
address) in angle brackets is omitted. When generating a detailed person
report, the text of the notes is written twice, partly one over the other,
interrupted at a page break and has lost its line breaks in the PDF file.

Try it with the latest version (3.0.4) and if issues, submit a bug report to our bug tracker

Feature request:
When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But
the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing
the images.
Would it be possible to add Image Maps to images where image coordinates are
given for individual persons? The use of the alt attribute inside the image
maps with the name of the person should lead to tooltips being displayed in
most browsers when the mouse is over the defined area (face).

This is a good idea to deal with this at the moment. Creating sub images would create again quite some extra processing power at generation, and perhaps future javascript can solve this for us on the client side instead.
Using alt for now would be nice, please do a feature request and post back here with the info, I'll forward it to the people working on the website report generator.

Benny

derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

derHeinzi
Benny Malengier wrote
2009/1/17 derHeinzi <heinzbrinker@yahoo.de>

> GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP
>
> Probably a bug?

No, some windows users provide a windows package. GRAMPS is fully cross
platform.
Sorry, Benny, I did not intend to say that the windows version is a bug.
I am using GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP, and the following could be
a bug.

Benny Malengier wrote

> For a person I added some notes regarding E-Mails I sent and received
> during
> my research. They included line breaks, the at character and angle
> brackets.
> When generating a website everything looks fine except that the text (mail
> address) in angle brackets is omitted. When generating a detailed person
> report, the text of the notes is written twice, partly one over the other,
> interrupted at a page break and has lost its line breaks in the PDF file.

Try it with the latest version (3.0.4) and if issues, submit a bug report to
our bug tracker
OK, I will try to find out where this "bug tracker" is and how to submit a bug
report. As I stated above, I'm quite new to GRAMPS, so bear with me, please.
Currently I'm only reading this on the nabble forum for GRAMPS.
Benny Malengier wrote

> Feature request:
> Would it be possible to add Image Maps to images where image coordinates
> are
> given for individual persons? The use of the alt attribute inside the image
> maps with the name of the person should lead to tooltips being displayed in
> most browsers when the mouse is over the defined area (face).

This is a good idea to deal with this at the moment. Creating sub images
would create again quite some extra processing power at generation, and
perhaps future javascript can solve this for us on the client side instead.
Using alt for now would be nice, please do a feature request and post back
here with the info, I'll forward it to the people working on the website
report generator.

Benny
Benny, I thought the input here would help the developers to see what could be done to improve GRAMPS. Even though I might be able to provide some code myself in the long term, I'm still at the very beginning and still learning how the things are handled in and around GRAMPS.
So there is a place where I can (and have to) submit a feature request? Thats something inside the sourceforge GRAMPS project I assume?

Its not always easy for newbies to conquer such a complex project! ;-) Especially if they do not have much spare time to spend on it.

derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Benny Malengier

2009/1/22 derHeinzi <[hidden email]>

Benny Malengier wrote:

> 2009/1/17 derHeinzi <[hidden email]>
>
>> GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 on Windows XP
>>
>> Probably a bug?
>
> No, some windows users provide a windows package. GRAMPS is fully cross
> platform.

Sorry, Benny, I did not intend to say that the windows version is a bug.

:-D
Some people really don't like windows and are very verbose about that in their mails.

[snip]
Benny, I thought the input here would help the developers to see what could
be done to improve GRAMPS. Even though I might be able to provide some code
myself in the long term, I'm still at the very beginning and still learning
how the things are handled in and around GRAMPS.
So there is a place where I can (and have to) submit a feature request?
Thats something inside the sourceforge GRAMPS project I assume?

Its not always easy for newbies to conquer such a complex project! ;-)
Especially if they do not have much spare time to spend on it.

All happens via our own site, not sourceforge, only the code is hosted there.
So http://gramps-project.org/
And for bugs and features:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_a_good_bug_report
Features are also handled via the bug tracker: http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php , select as project for the bug you submit 'Feature request', and we know it is not really a bug.

Greetings,

2009/1/22 derHeinzi <heinzbrinker@yahoo.de>
> Sorry, Benny, I did not intend to say that the windows version is a bug.

:-D
Some people really don't like windows and are very verbose about that in
their mails.
In fact I'm using both versions. Linux (Ubuntu) on my desktop and WinXP on my Laptop. :-)

Benny Malengier wrote
2009/1/22 derHeinzi <heinzbrinker@yahoo.de>
[snip]
> Benny, I thought the input here would help the developers to see what could
> be done to improve GRAMPS. Even though I might be able to provide some code
> myself in the long term, I'm still at the very beginning and still learning
> how the things are handled in and around GRAMPS.
> So there is a place where I can (and have to) submit a feature request?
> Thats something inside the sourceforge GRAMPS project I assume?
>
> Its not always easy for newbies to conquer such a complex project! ;-)
> Especially if they do not have much spare time to spend on it.

All happens via our own site, not sourceforge, only the code is hosted
there.
So http://gramps-project.org/
And for bugs and features:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_create_a_good_bug_report
Features are also handled via the bug tracker:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php , select as project for
the bug you submit 'Feature request', and we know it is not really a bug.

Greetings,
Benny
Thank you for this advice, Benny. I will have a closer look at it as soon as my time schedule permits.

In your previous post you said:
Benny Malengier wrote
... please do a feature request and post back here with the info ...
What kind of info should I provide here? A link to the request? More detailed information / specification of the request? A request number (if there is such a thing)?

Regards  derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

derHeinzi

FYI:
 I submitted this feature request on the bug-tracker. It is
Issue 0002634: "Use alt tags in website reports for image areas"
(and I hope I did it right.)

derHeinzi wrote
Feature request:
When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature. But the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when viewing the images.
Would it be possible to add Image Maps to images where image coordinates are given for individual persons? The use of the alt attribute inside the image maps with the name of the person should lead to tooltips being displayed in most browsers when the mouse is over the defined area (face).

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Stéphane Charette-2
>  I submitted this feature request on the bug-tracker. It is
> Issue 0002634: "Use alt tags in website reports for image areas"
> (and I hope I did it right.)

>> Feature request:
>> When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
>> image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature.
>> But the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when
>> viewing the images.

I've been working with Jason on such a feature.  I have things
somewhat working.  Here is an example:

http://charette.no-ip.com:81/tmp/image_tag_test.html

Move your mouse over the image, and over the squares.  Works in
Firefox, almost works right in IE.  Work in progress...  I cannot
guarantee it will make it into 3.1, but I'm trying.

Stéphane

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Pat Clark
This is a great feature, Stéphane.

Please put it into 3.1 -
Of course, I use Firefox  :-)

Pat

Stéphane Charette wrote:
Feature request:
When adding old photographs to the data, the position of a person on the
image can be entered in GRAMPS (x-y coordinates). Thats a great feature.
But the information "who is who" is lost in the generated web pages when
viewing the images.

I've been working with Jason on such a feature.  I have things
somewhat working.  Here is an example:

http://charette.no-ip.com:81/tmp/image_tag_test.html

Move your mouse over the image, and over the squares.  Works in
Firefox, almost works right in IE.  Work in progress...  I cannot
guarantee it will make it into 3.1, but I'm trying.

Stéphane

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

derHeinzi
Stéphane Charette-2 wrote
....  Here is an example:
http://charette.no-ip.com:81/tmp/image_tag_test.html

Move your mouse over the image, and over the squares.  Works in
Firefox, almost works right in IE.  Work in progress...  I cannot
guarantee it will make it into 3.1, but I'm trying.

Stéphane
Great, Stéphane, exactly what I was thinking of and even more.
Test with Opera (on Ubuntu and WinXP) however shows the content (link inside) of the frame only if you point exactly to the frame border. If you move the mouse inside the frame, the link is not shown.
But your solution now would already be sufficient for me! Thanks for your effort!

derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Doug-11
Splendid! (Firefox). It would have saved me an immense amount of trouble
if it had been available earlier, so please, please, get it into 3.1!

Many thanks,

Doug

derHeinzi wrote:

> Stéphane Charette-2 wrote:
>
>> ....  Here is an example:
>> http://charette.no-ip.com:81/tmp/image_tag_test.html
>>
>> Move your mouse over the image, and over the squares.  Works in
>> Firefox, almost works right in IE.  Work in progress...  I cannot
>> guarantee it will make it into 3.1, but I'm trying.
>>
>> Stéphane
>>

> Great, Stéphane, exactly what I was thinking of and even more.
> Test with Opera (on Ubuntu and WinXP) however shows the content (link
> inside) of the frame only if you point exactly to the frame border. If you
> move the mouse inside the frame, the link is not shown.
> But your solution now would already be sufficient for me! Thanks for your
> effort!
>
> derHeinzi

Re: Problem detailed person report (in german) and feature request for website generation

Stéphane Charette-2
>> ....  Here is an example:
>> http://charette.no-ip.com:81/tmp/image_tag_test.html
>>
>> Move your mouse over the image, and over the squares.  Works in
>> Firefox, almost works right in IE.  Work in progress...  I cannot
>> guarantee it will make it into 3.1, but I'm trying.

> Great, Stéphane, exactly what I was thinking of and even more.
> Test with Opera (on Ubuntu and WinXP) however shows the content (link
> inside) of the frame only if you point exactly to the frame border. If you
> move the mouse inside the frame, the link is not shown.

Yes, this is the known problem I had also observed in IE.  What I'd
like to do, is for non-FF browsers make the names show up as soon as
the mouse is over the images instead of waiting for the hover event.
But what I need to figure out is how to put browser-specific or
browser-detecting code in the .css file.  Problem is, I'm not a css
guy.  If someone knows how to do this, please contact me privately.

Stéphane