Problem opening my database (names becomes "living")

Problem opening my database (names becomes "living")

joel robin
Hi,

I have installed gramps on my computer for few months (maybe years), but i did not have time to work on it for a long time.
Today, I tried to update my gramps (from 2.? to the latest release), and wanted to start with making an xml export of my database with the old version.
The problem, is when i opened gramps, it was already updated from the synaptics system (I am on Ubuntu 8.1 intrepid ibex)

Now, I am with gramps 3.0.1-1, and in my database, i cannot have more informations on recent poeple than their name, and "living" as firstname...

Have I lost all informations about recent people, or is there a switch somewhere to unlock that?

Thanks...

Re: Problem opening my database (names becomes "living")

Stéphane Charette-2
This probably means you had exported your database at some point in
the past, and when you selected ("checked") the option to say
"restrict information on living people".

So the export you created doesn't have the "missing" information.
There is no switch to unlock.

What you need, is your original database.  If it was a 2.x database,
it would probably be a .grdb or .gpkg file.

Stéphane

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:45, joel robin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed gramps on my computer for few months (maybe years), but i
> did not have time to work on it for a long time.
> Today, I tried to update my gramps (from 2.? to the latest release), and
> wanted to start with making an xml export of my database with the old
> version.
> The problem, is when i opened gramps, it was already updated from the
> synaptics system (I am on Ubuntu 8.1 intrepid ibex)
>
> Now, I am with gramps 3.0.1-1, and in my database, i cannot have more
> informations on recent poeple than their name, and "living" as firstname...
>
> Have I lost all informations about recent people, or is there a switch
> somewhere to unlock that?
>
> Thanks...

Re: Problem opening my database (names becomes "living")

Espen Berg-2
Hi Joel!
Your problem is probably located in the export you did.  When you
export to GRAMPS-XML og GEDCOM you can choose what to do with persons
alive (or probably alive).  If you check that option, living people
will get the name "Living" and details will not be exported.  If you
still have the old original grdb-file, you can start the old version
of GRAMPS, export a new GRAMPS-XML where you make sure NOT to check
the option to restrict information about living people.  Your
information is not lost if you still have the old database and the old
version of GRAMPS (assuming the information is still in the old
database).

Espen