Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
Hello, I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.  When Gramps is open
it shows the people with dates etc. but if I go to the pencil to edit
those dates, notes etc.  They will not open, and it no longer shows up
in the window in the person view and there is no "slide" bar.  Also
there are times I have to "export" when I do a back up because it will
come on and say "back up aborted".  I do have a current backup which I
do without media as that file is well over 1.5 GB with the media
included.   I am hoping that if this is a bug that someone has a fix for
it and can send it to me.  I would rather not have to upgrade as I love
this version.  I am a 66 year old woman so I need to have fairly
explicit instructions on how to do something.  Thank you.  Jean

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Brian Grawburg
Jean,
I have no problem with the pencil edit. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're doing. I'm using 3.4.9-1 also.

Brian Grawburg
Wilson, NC

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
The pencil is the edit icon up next to the name on that window which
shows their name, birth and death dates.  When you click on it it opens
up the person folder so you can then make changes or add notes.  The
window which is supposed to show their birth, death and burial dates is
not visible and you cannot change the information that is visible on the
previous window.  Even if you click on Event, Names, Source Citations,
Attributes, Address, Notes, Gallery it will not open up to make any
changes, I don't want a "New" "+" date I want to be able to change any
open it up but I it still doesn't show or change the first window and
this is not what I want.  I need to correct some information but there
is no way to do it.  It is frustrating for me to not be able to make or
add information to my tree.  I am hoping this is a bug and that someone
can send me the link to fix it without having to upgrade as I wish to
stay with this version.

On 10/12/2016 09:36 AM, Grawburg wrote:

> Jean,
> I have no problem with the pencil edit. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're doing. I'm using 3.4.9-1 also.
>
> Brian Grawburg
> Wilson, NC

When I do this with my Debian Linux it works fine. I find this unusual since Debian and Ubuntu are basically siblings.
Hope someone else responds.

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

ALL editing is broken?

On 10/12/2016 10:03 AM, Jean McClendon wrote:

> The pencil is the edit icon up next to the name on that window which
> shows their name, birth and death dates.  When you click on it it opens
> up the person folder so you can then make changes or add notes.  The
> window which is supposed to show their birth, death and burial dates is
> not visible and you cannot change the information that is visible on the
> previous window.  Even if you click on Event, Names, Source Citations,
> Attributes, Address, Notes, Gallery it will not open up to make any
> changes, I don't want a "New" "+" date I want to be able to change any
> open it up but I it still doesn't show or change the first window and
> this is not what I want.  I need to correct some information but there
> is no way to do it.  It is frustrating for me to not be able to make or
> add information to my tree.  I am hoping this is a bug and that someone
> can send me the link to fix it without having to upgrade as I wish to
> stay with this version.
>

> On 10/12/2016 09:36 AM, Grawburg wrote:
>> Jean,
>> I have no problem with the pencil edit. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're doing. I'm using 3.4.9-1 also.
>>
>> Brian Grawburg
>> Wilson, NC

This was my original post: I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.
When Gramps is open it shows the people with dates etc. but if I go to
the pencil to edit those dates, notes etc.  They will not open, and it
no longer shows up in the window in the person view and there is no
"slide" bar.  Also there are times I have to "export" when I do a back
up because it will come on and say "back up aborted".  I do have a
current backup which I do without media as that file is well over 1.5 GB
with the media included.   I am hoping that if this is a bug that
someone has a fix for it and can send it to me.  I would rather not have
to upgrade as I love this version.  I am a 66 year old woman so I need
to have fairly explicit instructions on how to do something. Then  I
gave a more detailed description below.

So to answer Ron's question, Yes all of the editing within the person
folder appears to be broken, and not being able to edit means I cannot
add any more to the tree, I cannot make any changes and this is very
frustrating.  We had my husband's DNA tested and I keep getting
information from DNA cousins which I cannot add due to this "bug".  I
hope that someone please can help me.  Thank you. Jean

On 12/10/16 14:47, Jean McClendon wrote:
> Hello, I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
I am using 12.04.  I am on a slower internet connection and my son will
be upgrading when we get moved closer to he and his wife.

On 10/12/2016 12:08 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/10/16 14:47, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> Hello, I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.
> What version of Ubuntu are you using?
>
> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
Would it help to do a screen shot of not only my desktop but with Gramps
open to where the problem is? If you think it would let me know and I
will include it. Jean

On 10/12/2016 12:08 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/10/16 14:47, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> Hello, I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.
> What version of Ubuntu are you using?
>
> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

On 12/10/16 20:28, Jean McClendon wrote:
> I am using 12.04.  I am on a slower internet connection and my son will
> be upgrading when we get moved closer to he and his wife.

There should be no problem running 3.4.9 with 12.04.

Has it been working?  What has changed since it last worked?

I suggest you try running it from the command line.  Do you see any
error messages?

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
I am 66 years old, I am not sure what you mean by running it from the
command line?  If you mean terminal I need to know what and how to put
it in to run it.  I had been adding information without problems but
noticed that after I had backed it up the edit area's wouldn't open.  If
it won't open I cannot make any changes.

On 10/12/2016 03:10 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/10/16 20:28, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> I am using 12.04.  I am on a slower internet connection and my son will
>> be upgrading when we get moved closer to he and his wife.
> There should be no problem running 3.4.9 with 12.04.
>
> Has it been working?  What has changed since it last worked?
>
> I suggest you try running it from the command line.  Do you see any
> error messages?
>
> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Can't hurt!  (Note that the list has strict limits on the sizes of
attachments, so it's best to upload the shots to an image host like
https://postimage.org/ and then paste the links into the email.)

On 10/12/2016 02:30 PM, Jean McClendon wrote:

> Would it help to do a screen shot of not only my desktop but with Gramps
> open to where the problem is? If you think it would let me know and I
> will include it. Jean
>

> On 10/12/2016 12:08 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 12/10/16 14:47, Jean McClendon wrote:
>>> Hello, I am using Gramps 3.4.9-1 on Linux Ubuntu.
>> What version of Ubuntu are you using?
>>
>> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
I hope I did this right, here are the screen shots of Terminal being
open as well as showing "Event" and "Notes" not showing up or being able
to open them. https://postimg.org/image/w9qqahij9/3dd7f701/

On 10/12/2016 05:03 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Can't hurt!  (Note that the list has strict limits on the sizes of
> attachments, so it's best to upload the shots to an image host like
> https://postimage.org/ and then paste the links into the email.)
>
> On 10/12/2016 02:30 PM, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> Would it help to do a screen shot of not only my desktop but with Gramps
>> open to where the problem is? If you think it would let me know and I
>> will include it. Jean

>>> What version of Ubuntu are you using?
>>>
>>> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
I realized that there was more than one website address, here are the
other two:

https://postimg.org/image/w9qqahij9/3dd7f701/
https://postimg.org/image/5qthaqb4d/02a39359/

On 10/12/2016 05:03 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Can't hurt!  (Note that the list has strict limits on the sizes of
> attachments, so it's best to upload the shots to an image host like
> https://postimage.org/ and then paste the links into the email.)
>
> On 10/12/2016 02:30 PM, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> Would it help to do a screen shot of not only my desktop but with Gramps
>> open to where the problem is? If you think it would let me know and I
>> will include it. Jean

>>> What version of Ubuntu are you using?
>>>
>>> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

On 12/10/16 23:25, Jean McClendon wrote:
> I hope I did this right, here are the screen shots of Terminal being
> open as well as showing "Event" and "Notes" not showing up or being able
> to open them.https://postimg.org/image/w9qqahij9/3dd7f701/

It looks like the lists are probably still there, but have a very small
or zero height.  My guess is that the problem was caused by a Gtk update.

I assume that resizing the editor window doesn't help.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
Hi Nick, I hadn't tried resizing the edit window but when I tried to
expand it, that worked!  I also have problems with it wanting to
sometimes "abort" the backup and I have to go to export in order to get
a backup, is there a way to correct this?  If I want to change the Home
person, right now it is on my mother but would like to make it on me,
how do I do that?  Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your
help.  Jean

On 10/12/2016 05:47 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 12/10/16 23:25, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> I hope I did this right, here are the screen shots of Terminal being
>> open as well as showing "Event" and "Notes" not showing up or being able
>> to open them.https://postimg.org/image/w9qqahij9/3dd7f701/
>>
> It looks like the lists are probably still there, but have a very small
> or zero height.  My guess is that the problem was caused by a Gtk update.
>
> I assume that resizing the editor window doesn't help.
>
> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

On 10/12/2016 05:59 PM, Jean McClendon wrote:
> Hi Nick, I hadn't tried resizing the edit window but when I tried to
> expand it, that worked!  I also have problems with it wanting to
> sometimes "abort" the backup and I have to go to export in order to get
> a backup, is there a way to correct this?

A screenshot (larger, please; the other pics were so small) of the error
message?

> If I want to change the Home
> person, right now it is on my mother but would like to make it on me,
> how do I do that?

In the "People" view, select yourself and then do Menu Edit->"Set Home Person"

>    Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your
> help.  Jean
>

> On 10/12/2016 05:47 PM, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 12/10/16 23:25, Jean McClendon wrote:
>>> I hope I did this right, here are the screen shots of Terminal being
>>> open as well as showing "Event" and "Notes" not showing up or being able
>>> to open them.https://postimg.org/image/w9qqahij9/3dd7f701/
>>>
>> It looks like the lists are probably still there, but have a very small
>> or zero height.  My guess is that the problem was caused by a Gtk update.
>>
>> I assume that resizing the editor window doesn't help.
>>
>> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Jean McClendon
I hope this is okay, I crop it so that mostly the terminal window showed.

https://postimg.org/image/u2uusgkyl/aa0ac938/

On 10/12/2016 06:37 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 10/12/2016 05:59 PM, Jean McClendon wrote:
>> Hi Nick, I hadn't tried resizing the edit window but when I tried to
>> expand it, that worked!  I also have problems with it wanting to
>> sometimes "abort" the backup and I have to go to export in order to get
>> a backup, is there a way to correct this?
> A screenshot (larger, please; the other pics were so small) of the error
> message?
>
>> If I want to change the Home
>> person, right now it is on my mother but would like to make it on me,
>> how do I do that?
> In the "People" view, select yourself and then do Menu Edit->"Set Home Person"
>

>>     Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your
>> help.  Jean

>>> It looks like the lists are probably still there, but have a very small
>>> or zero height.  My guess is that the problem was caused by a Gtk update.
>>>
>>> I assume that resizing the editor window doesn't help.
>>>
>>> Nick.

Re: Problem with 3.4.9-1

Alain AUPEIX
Le 13/10/2016 à 01:49, Jean McClendon a écrit :
I hope this is okay, I crop it so that mostly the terminal window showed.

https://postimg.org/image/u2uusgkyl/aa0ac938/
I also use Ubuntu 12.04 and Gramps 3.4.9.1 and I don't have such problem.
The messages in the terminal can easily be solved:

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install python-pyicu python-pyexiv2

It will remove this warnings, even I think it won't solve your problem.

I always update official updates, so I'm not sure it could be a gtk update problem.
Here are the lists of libgkt2 debs which are installed on my computer:

ii  libgtk2.0-0                      2.24.10-0ubuntu6.3           GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-0:i386              2.24.10-0ubuntu6.3           GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-bin                   2.24.10-0ubuntu6.3           programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-common          2.24.10-0ubuntu6.3           common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-dev                  2.24.10-0ubuntu6.3           development files for the GTK+ library

A+
--

Alain Aupeix
http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/

U.buntu 12.04 | G.ramps 3.4.9-1 | H.arbour 3.2.0dev (2016-10-04 13:22) | Hw.Gui 2.19-6 (2619)