Problem with custom events

Doug-11
Hi,

I'd be glad of some help.

Some years ago I created a custom event with the name "port
of call" and entered a number of events that way, then some
time later, I couldn't find it, because at that time custom
events appeared only as a haphazard list. So I created it again.

The name I chose was supposed to be the same but turned out
minutely different,  "Port of Call".

As both versions appear in the custom event type list  - now
thank heavens in alphabetical order - that didn't seem to
matter.

However since then I've gone through several updates of
gramps and I now find that all the "Port of Call" events
have been removed from the people they were attached to and
are listed as Unused Objects. It's been a very painful
business putting them back in place. The "port of call"
events are OK.

So my questions are:

where is the list of custom events kept?

is it possible to edit this, in or out of gramps, to get rid
of one or other of the clashing alternatives?

Why does the custom list show both alternatives happily
while at some stage during exporting and importing small
letter "p" kills capital "P"?

If I now export with the unedited list but no actual  "port
of call" events,  but all changed to "Port of Call", do I
lose the lot?

Doug

Re: Problem with custom events

Doug-11

I'm thinking of something equivalent to
./.gramps/gramps42/custom_filters.xml where custom filters
are kept.
Where is such a file for custom events to be found?

Doug

On 10/03/18 20:05, Doug wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be glad of some help.
>
> Some years ago I created a custom event with the name
> "port of call" and entered a number of events that way,
> then some time later, I couldn't find it, because at that
> time custom events appeared only as a haphazard list. So I
> created it again.
>
> The name I chose was supposed to be the same but turned
> out minutely different,  "Port of Call".
>
> As both versions appear in the custom event type list  -
> now thank heavens in alphabetical order - that didn't seem
> to matter.
>
> However since then I've gone through several updates of
> gramps and I now find that all the "Port of Call" events
> have been removed from the people they were attached to
> and are listed as Unused Objects. It's been a very painful
> business putting them back in place. The "port of call"
> events are OK.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> where is the list of custom events kept?
>
> is it possible to edit this, in or out of gramps, to get
> rid of one or other of the clashing alternatives?
>
> Why does the custom list show both alternatives happily
> while at some stage during exporting and importing small
> letter "p" kills capital "P"?
>
> If I now export with the unedited list but no actual
> "port of call" events,  but all changed to "Port of
> Call", do I lose the lot?
>
> Doug

Re: [Gramps-users] Problem with custom events

Doug-11
Many thanks, Paul, and to Nick, Allen, Ron and Brad for clarifying that.
So having changed all the "port of call" events to "Port of Call", export followed by a fresh import should clean up the event type list.

Doug

On 11/03/18 15:15, Paul Culley wrote:
To expand on Nick's answer a bit, the 'customized' events (indeed any of the lists of types that has user added elements) are stored in the database, not in any .ini or .xml file.  If you want to get rid of these elements, you will have to export your tree to an Gramps XML file and then import it into a new Family tree (database).  These custom elements are not included in the Gramps XML (as additions to lists), although any actual use of the custom elements (say an actual event with the customized type) remains in place.

The New tree would be identical to the original, but the additional elements in the various lists would disappear.

Paul C.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/03/18 12:31, Doug wrote:
I'm thinking of something equivalent to ./.gramps/gramps42/custom_filters.xml where custom filters are kept.
Where is such a file for custom events to be found?

They are stored in the metdata table in the database.  The key "event_names" contains a list of strings.