Problem with merging sources

Doug-11
I'm trying to rationalise my sources, imported from another family tree
DB program, but am having difficulty.

I've ended up with lots of GRAMPS 'sources'  like the following:

GRAMPS ID, say S001 is "previous source A"
GRAMPS ID, say S002 is "previous source B"
GRAMPS ID, say S003 is "previous source A; previous source "
etc, etc.

I want to convert these to something like:
GRAMPS ID, say S001: previous source A plus the references in S003, i.e.
(S001+S003)
GRAMPS ID, say S002: previous source B plus the references in S003, i.e.
(S002+S003)

So I'd like to be able to merge S003 with S001,  and then S003 with S002.

But as far as I can see there are problems:
(1) if I merge S003 with S001 it's no longer available to merge with S002.
           So I'd like to be able to copy S003 somewhere separately, so
I can merge S003 with S001 and then merge "S003copy" with S002

But:
(2) Drag and Drop S003 onto the Clipboard doesn't create a copy but only
a link, so once S003 has been merged with  S001, I presume the Clipboard
'copy' becomes invalid or now links to the merged S003+S001 - not what I
need!

Is there some way round this of making a genuine copy of a source?

Doug

Problem with merging sources

Doug-11
I sent this several days ago, but nobody's replied and I don't see it in
the archives, so I guess it got lost

Doug wrote:

> I'm trying to rationalise my sources, imported from another family
> tree DB program
>
> I've a lot of GRAMPS 'sources'  like the following:
>
> GRAMPS S001 is "previous source A"
> GRAMPS S002 is "previous source B"
> GRAMPS S003 is "previous source A; previous source B; previous source
> C; etc "
>

> I want to bring all the A references together under one source (merge
> S003 with S001), all the B references under another source (merge S003
> with S002), and so on.
>
> But
> (1) if I merge S003 with S001 it's no longer available to merge with
> S002.
Make a copy of S003 first before merging the original S003 with S001 is
the obvious answer
> However
> (2) Drag and Drop S003 onto the Clipboard *doesn't* create a copy,
> only a link.

> So once S003 has been merged with  S001, the Clipboard 'copy'
> presumably becomes invalid or it links to the merged S003+S001 - not
> what I need!
>
> Is there some way round this of making a genuine copy of a source?
>
> Doug

Re: Problem with merging sources

Benny Malengier
I don't think this is possibe

The only thing possible is doing the second copy by hand
If only the source info is needed, you could open up a gramps xml file
and copy the entry, changing the handle and the grampsid (to eg
S003copy), then import in an empty database, and do the merge. Copying
by hand is probably faster.

Benny