Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Jim Winfrey
Gramps 2.2.0rc1-1 runs fine under Ubuntu 6.0.6 for me but I cannot get
it to run under the Kubuntu 6.0.6,  Gramps will start and as soon as I
either choose a file to open or click Enter after I add the name for a
new file, it shuts down with no error message.  I opened Gramps with
the terminal and got the following message.  Does this mean anything
to you experts?

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
Spelling checker is not installed
Segmentation fault

Thanks,

Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Serge Noiraud-2
Hi,

        I'm on kubuntu dapper and I have no problems. I have tested gramps on edgy too and it runs fine.
I never tested on gnome, I hate gnome for some technical reasons. Please, don't troll.

I think you have two problems :
 1 - Error messages about input devices
 2 - Spelling checker is not installed

For the first problem, if I remember I comment the following lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
...
Section "ServerLayout"
  #InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
  #InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
  #InputDevice    "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
  Identifier "Default Layout"
  screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen" 0 0
  InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
  InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection
...
I don't get those messages  any more.

For the second problem, do you have a speller installed ?
I use aspell for my needs :
sudo apt-get install aspell aspell-<your language>

Le/The Mercredi 18 Octobre 2006 14:46, Jim Winfrey a écrit/wrote :

> Gramps 2.2.0rc1-1 runs fine under Ubuntu 6.0.6 for me but I cannot get
> it to run under the Kubuntu 6.0.6,  Gramps will start and as soon as I
> either choose a file to open or click Enter after I add the name for a
> new file, it shuts down with no error message.  I opened Gramps with
> the terminal and got the following message.  Does this mean anything
> to you experts?
>
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> Spelling checker is not installed
> Segmentation fault
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

attachment0 (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Alex Roitman
In reply to this post by Jim Winfrey
On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 08:46 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> Gramps 2.2.0rc1-1 runs fine under Ubuntu 6.0.6 for me but I cannot get
> it to run under the Kubuntu 6.0.6,  Gramps will start and as soon as I
> either choose a file to open or click Enter after I add the name for a
> new file, it shuts down with no error message.  I opened Gramps with
> the terminal and got the following message.  Does this mean anything
> to you experts?
>
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> Spelling checker is not installed
> Segmentation fault
I think that Serge is correct and that X errors are unrelated.
The Spelling checker issue may or may not be related.
The easiest way to try is this:
   $ gdb python
   (gdb) run /usr/share/gramps/gramps.py
and see what happens when it crashes.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:04:25 -0700
Alex Roitman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Alex,

> The Spelling checker issue may or may not be related.

Isn't this just a warning?  I've seen complaints about spelling during
startup of GRAMPS, but it still started.  I just didn't have spell
checking (obviously).

Admittedly, the circumstances were different than Jim's.....

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"

Junk floats on polluted water
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Alex Roitman
Brad,

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 07:36 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > The Spelling checker issue may or may not be related.
>
> Isn't this just a warning?  I've seen complaints about spelling during
> startup of GRAMPS, but it still started.  I just didn't have spell
> checking (obviously).

The warning itself is harmless, but we have seen segfaults
before that were related to the spellchecking gtkspell module.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problems Starting Gramps 2.2 in Kubuntu

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:54:21 -0700
Alex Roitman <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Alex,

> > > The Spelling checker issue may or may not be related.
> > Isn't this just a warning?  I've seen complaints about spelling
> The warning itself is harmless, but we have seen segfaults
> before that were related to the spellchecking gtkspell module.

Ah, I see.  Thankfully, that's not happened here.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"

Junk floats on polluted water
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment