Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

yorkshire_lad

Having problems with gramps exiting abnormally after adding a custom event type.

I decided to try and add a custom event type (by typing it in "Event type" box).  Seemed to go OK.

However, now when adding an Event in "Event reference editor", if I mouse-click on the down arrow on the "Event type" box to get the dropdown list of events ("Birth, Baptism," etc), gramps exits ungracefully (no error message, and database gets locked).
If I put the cursor in the "Event type" box, and use keyboard down-arrow key, I can scroll through the event types, so I know they're there and can scroll all the way through, including the new custom event type.  It looks like building the dropdown menu of events is causing gramps to exit ungracefully.

I made a backup (gpkg) before adding the custom event types, but I don't seem to be able to import (Family Trees/Import) from the .gpkg into a new database: error:
"Error extracting into C:\Users\Allan\Main database_2019-01-23_before_custom_type.gpkg.media"
(actually, there are files written to C:\Users\Allan\Main database_2019-01-23_before_custom_type.gpkg.media which is most of my media files, so it's a slightly misleading error message?)

I also have a full disk backup/image from a couple of days ago (and I know what I've done since then), so could reinstate various folders or files from the disk image (refreshing the whole of gramps from an image manually looks tricky to me as the uninitiated!)

I tried a "Check and Repair Database", but no joy.
The problem is the same for any person's record in that database.
If I create a new database, and I add a new Event, I can get the drop down of Events with the mouse.

I'm figuring it's something to do with my existing database, and something is unhappy with the routine that builds the dropdown menu.

I'd either like to work out why selecting the "Event type"  dropdown menu is causing gramps to exit ungracefully, or why I can't reinstate a backup.
I can see my data at the moment, and could select an Event type by using the keyboard arrow keys,  but I'd like to either sort the issue (preferable) or reinstate.

I've been thinking about upgrading to v5, but not sure if that would help,

Windows 10
GrampsAIO64-4.2.3-1
GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.3-1
Python: 3.5.0 (default, Oct  8 2015, 12:30:29)
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: win32
Any help/pointers appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Allan

Re: Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

Ron Johnson

Two points:

1. Gpkg backups are a royal pain.  Especially when you aren't moving your media.  You only care about the actual tree, so do "exclude media" backups (especially if your genealogy media is all in one sub-folder).

2. v4.2.3 is pretty old.  Upgrade to v4.2.8 and see if the problem goes away.

On 1/23/19 6:07 PM, Allan Gould wrote:

[...]

Richard Nairn

If you start gramps in debugging mode you may get some additional info on what/how it is crashing...

gramps -d ""

Re: Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

I just tried to do a custom event type in Gramps 5.0.1, seems to work ok.  We generally don't support anything as old as 4.2.3, so I would seriously consider upgrading to 5.0.1 https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases
You may be able to import your gpkg backup into the new version, assuming it doesn't just open the database.

If it doesn't work, you can use 7-zip or a similar tool to extract the .gramps file (the db without the media) from the .gpkg file (.gpkg files are a compressed archive similar to a .zip file, and 7-zip knows how to work with them).  Send the .gramps file directly to me and I can probably get it fixed up to allow you to get going again.

Paul C.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 6:56 PM Allan Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, Paul, for the helpful pointers and response, which were enough to get me set in the right direction, and sort it.

For a brief period, I thought I was going to be looking at the gaping and rather frightening chasm of loss or vast tricky reinstatement of three years of work.... never a pleasant thought, but I have learnt a huge amount in a very short time.  The possible thought that backups weren't reinstating was quite worrying but it's knowing how to use them!

For the moment (I've done a bit of testing but not robust "in anger" use yet), I am happy to report that the issue (gramps exiting ungracefully when trying to get the drop down menu of event types after adding a custom event type) is no longer present after an upgrade to 5.0.1, and my data is intact (having restored from the .gramps file).

Thanks also to Ron Johnson & Richard Nairn for their comments.

For whosoever it might help:

the upgrade from GrampsAIO64-4.2.3-1 to GrampsAIO64-5.0.1 went fine: 5.0.1 installed in a separate program folder, but found the existing database(s) and configuration (so e.g. the location of the media got picked up).  When 5.0.1 started for the first time, it also prompted for and then did the upgrade of the schema from v18 to v19 without a hitch, and opened the existing database(s).  I suggest that an install of a new version of Gramps might check for the existence of a previous version and maybe flag this up, or offer to delete it cleanly.  To be honest, I've just left the old version of Gramps v4.2.3 in place, as I haven't dared delete v4.2.3 in case it unsettles the new install of v5.0.1 if there are some common files somewhere.  In some cases, it's not ideal having several versions of the same programme installed, but uninstalling an older version yourself might be tricky; the two versions of Gramps show up in the Windows list of installed programs.  I'm not sure what the answer would be, but maybe some food for thought.

I've learnt a lot about using backups.  Reinstating gramps backups was really quite tricky until Paul explained that the gpkg backups are a 7Zip-type archive and using the .gramps file to reinstate is the info I needed if I didn't need to reinstate the media.  The .gramps file from a 4.2.3 backup (before I started all this schenanigens) imported fine into 5.0.1.  In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for me, as my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly along with the rest of the Windows disks etc.  It'll make Gramps backups a lot smaller and quicker!

the custom event types seemed to be handled fine in 5.0.1

Hope ths might help someone somewhere and many thanks again, especially to Paul, and to the other two commenters.

Allan

On 24/01/2019 15:20, Paul Culley wrote:

[...]

Hello Allan,

> In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for me, as
> my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly along
> with the rest of the Windows disks etc.  It'll make Gramps backups a
> lot smaller and quicker!

The option to do that has always been there, but when Gramps sets with
media as default, most users do that. I think it's a waste, and changed
the default in my own copy.

Note that, when enabled, Gramps 5.0.1 will automatically create .gramps
backups on exit. I don't know where they end up on Windows, but it is an
extra safeguard anyway.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

prculley
The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"

Paul C.

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Allan,

> In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for me, as
> my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly along
> with the rest of the Windows disks etc.  It'll make Gramps backups a
> lot smaller and quicker!

The option to do that has always been there, but when Gramps sets with
media as default, most users do that. I think it's a waste, and changed
the default in my own copy.

Note that, when enabled, Gramps 5.0.1 will automatically create .gramps
backups on exit. I don't know where they end up on Windows, but it is an
extra safeguard anyway.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Thanks for the questions.

They prompted an overview expansion to the web manual about backups.

See:

Specifically, the overviee ties in the docs about the new automated backup and linking to drill-down on disparate backup features. (Incuding the path to the automatic backup files.)

The drill-down still needs expansion on the default values for the interval & path. (I changed mine and don't wanna delete my Preference customizations just to re-discover that info!)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 7:34, Enno Borgsteede
Hello Allan,

> In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for me, as  my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly along with the rest of the Windows disks etc. It'll make Gramps backups a lot smaller and quicker!

The option to do that has always been there, but when Gramps sets with
media as default, most users do that. I think it's a waste, and changed
the default in my own copy.

Note that, when enabled, Gramps 5.0.1 will automatically create .gramps
backups on exit. I don't know where they end up on Windows, but it is an
extra safeguard anyway.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

To simplify any path example for Windows, it is better to use Environment Variables. This eliminates the whole "depending who you are logged in as" rigamarole of Windows. Use the "environment variable' for the universal path for any logged in Windows User.  You can use either of the following:

% userprofile%
%homepath%

So the desktop folder path is always:
%userprofile%\desktop

The recently accessed documents/folders shortcut collection is stored in:
%userprofile%/recent/

(Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley
The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Pardon for the crap on my links. It appears Oath Yahoo! is spoofing links for their own nefarious purposes.  The visable URL is the right path. The Yahoo redirect URL is the evil man behind the curtain.

Time to abandon Oath's web eMail client!

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 10:03, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users

Re: Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Allan,
>
>     > In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for
>     me, as
>     > my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly
>     along
>     > with the rest of the Windows disks etc.  It'll make Gramps
>     backups a
>     > lot smaller and quicker!
>
>     The option to do that has always been there, but when Gramps sets
>     with
>     media as default, most users do that. I think it's a waste, and
>     changed
>     the default in my own copy.

How do you change the default; I can't see an option in the
configuration settings.

David Lynch

>     Note that, when enabled, Gramps 5.0.1 will automatically create
>     .gramps
>     backups on exit. I don't know where they end up on Windows, but it
>     is an
>     extra safeguard anyway.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Enno

Re: Problems with Event list menu after adding custom event.

Dave Scheipers
In 5.0, Gramps will now remember the last setting used in the manual
backup. In 4.2 and earlier, the manual backup always defaults to
include media so you must select to exclude media.

The automatic backup on exit in 5.0 excludes media.

Dave

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 1:25 PM David Lynch via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 7:32 AM Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello Allan,
> >
> >     > In my case, a Gramps backup excluding media would be fine for
> >     me, as
> >     > my media is stored in a separate location, and imaged regularly
> >     along
> >     > with the rest of the Windows disks etc.  It'll make Gramps
> >     backups a
> >     > lot smaller and quicker!
> >
> >     The option to do that has always been there, but when Gramps sets
> >     with
> >     media as default, most users do that. I think it's a waste, and
> >     changed
> >     the default in my own copy.
> >
> How do you change the default; I can't see an option in the
> configuration settings.
>
> David Lynch
>

> >     Note that, when enabled, Gramps 5.0.1 will automatically create
> >     .gramps
> >     backups on exit. I don't know where they end up on Windows, but it
> >     is an
> >     extra safeguard anyway.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >
> >     Enno

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Hi All

First rule of Windows never ever store any data on C Drive
Second rule of windows anything beginning with "My" is the spawn of the
devil
Anything stored in "Users" is at the mercy of the Microsoft data
destruction machine.
Fourth rule always be prepared to wipe the hard drive and reinstall
windows usually at the most inconvenient time.

Either Partition your hard drive and then create a directory tree
structure for holding your data, then backup the whole partition to
external media.

Better stil have a second hard drive for Data only and back that up.
Then good old Microsoft can do what it wants and usually does with
anything on C Drive

 From someone who started on DOS and went through all the windows
versions but narrowly avoiding Vista.

What could be simpler than E:\Data\Gramps

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 26/01/2019 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> To simplify any path example for Windows, it is better to use Environment Variables. This eliminates the whole "depending who you are logged in as" rigamarole of Windows. Use the "environment variable' for the universal path for any logged in Windows User.  You can use either of the following:
> % userprofile%%homepath%
> So the desktop folder path is always:%userprofile%\desktop
> The recently accessed documents/folders shortcut collection is stored in:%userprofile%/recent/
>
> (Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)
>
>    On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:  The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"
> Paul C.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Careful there, Phil; your experience breaking Windows is showing! Good thing they didn't call it 'Mirrors' --- we'd have permanent bad luck.

I completely agree with what you said. Unfortunately, the average laptop user is going to lack the skills to re-partition while preserving the emergency restoration parition.  And with the way MS uses the main partition for temp files & virtual memory (plus the exponential growth of application installation requirements) turns it into a real pig. So sizing the main partition is problematic.

Then you get to add Microsludge's recent propensity for denying sole users administrator access to folders of their own drive.

No wonder the developers chose Linux as the native OS for Gramps.

BTW, Vista wasn't susceptible to viri...  Vista WAS a virus.

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 15:10, phil wharram

First rule of Windows never ever store any data on C Drive
Second rule of windows anything beginning with "My" is the spawn of the devil

Anything stored in "Users" is at the mercy of the Microsoft data destruction machine.

Fourth rule always be prepared to wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows usually at the most inconvenient time.

Either Partition your hard drive and then create a directory tree structure for holding your data, then backup the whole partition to external media.

Better still have a second hard drive for Data only and back that up.
Then good old Microsoft can do what it wants and usually does with anything on C Drive

From someone who started on DOS and went through all the windows versions but narrowly avoiding Vista.

What could be simpler than E:\Data\Gramps

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 26/01/2019 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:

> To simplify any path example for Windows, it is better to use Environment Variables. This eliminates the whole "depending who you are logged in as" rigamarole of Windows. Use the "environment variable' for the universal path for any logged in Windows User.  You can use either of the following:
> % userprofile%%homepath%
> So the desktop folder path is always:%userprofile%\desktop
> The recently accessed documents/folders shortcut collection is stored in:%userprofile%/recent/
>
> (Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)

>    On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:  The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"
> Paul C.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Peter Merchant
M$ is also an addictive drug, and very hard to break free from.
Peter M.
On 26/01/2019 21:49, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

From someone who started on DOS and went through all the windows versions but narrowly avoiding Vista.

What could be simpler than E:\Data\Gramps

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 26/01/2019 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> To simplify any path example for Windows, it is better to use Environment Variables. This eliminates the whole "depending who you are logged in as" rigamarole of Windows. Use the "environment variable' for the universal path for any logged in Windows User.  You can use either of the following:
> % userprofile%%homepath%
> So the desktop folder path is always:%userprofile%\desktop
> The recently accessed documents/folders shortcut collection is stored in:%userprofile%/recent/
>
> (Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)

>    On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:  The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"
> Paul C.

M$ is also an addictive drug, and very hard to break free from.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Hi All
To bring a little balance to this discussion, I would use Linux more and
will but I started a long term project using Access and despite repeated
attempts have never managed to port it to Linux with any real success

Also Micorsoft must have employed somebody fairly good people in the
development of XP because the issue rate dropped Win 7 had it's moments
and 8 I abandoned as a basket case Win 10 has in fact performed fairly
well after I junked the apps/Metro and installed Classic menu/Freecommander.
The only issue now is it won't update other than security issues because
it detects a problem with my PC which (which I consider a huge bonus) if
any of you are considering ending it all reading up on this issue will
either speed up your decision or keep you occupied for life

emyoulation
suspect you are correct about partitioning but if they cannot do that I
doubt they would understand environment variables either

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 26/01/2019 21:49, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> (Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)
>>
>>      On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:  The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"
>> Paul C.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

StoltHD
Strange thing... I have been working with Windows since Windows NT4.0 and a little NT3.5

I have never had these problems you complain about...

Its something about learning the tools you use... for me Linux is only a server OS, because if you shall do anything with it, you need to find yourself a 600 pages manual about system settings and how to edit them in bash or in a text editor... and the commands in Linux or Unix is even more confusing and cryptic than Powershell...

Den søn. 27. jan. 2019 kl. 13:53 skrev phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

>> (Environment Variables are fundamentally supported by Windows OS path parsing. As the examples show, your paths can utilize forward or back slashes interchangeably. The reserved Environment Variable names can be seen from the 'set' DOS command line interface or, in the ever-changing GUI, by clicking the Environment Variables... button of the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog. Note that MS persists in the campaign to confuse users by failing to remind the names must be surrounded by percentage marks '%' to be recognized!)
>>
>>      On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:11, Paul Culley<[hidden email]> wrote:  The default backup path for Windows is the users home directory, typically something like "C:\Users\You".  It can be changed in t"Edit/Preferences/Family Tree/Backup path"
>> Paul C.

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

You are right, XP was probably the best version of a microsoft Operating System along with Dos 6.2. I (My wife) would probably still be using it on the other computer except that it got to the state where it wouldn't boot after one of the updates about a year ago. It now runs Kubuntu 18.04.

I used to keep a few things in Access databases, but most of them I have been able to convert to Libre-office Base. It is a lot more like Access than it used to be.  Of course they were only simple things and our version of M$ Office was 2002. If I remember correctly export Access tables as Excel, then import them into Base.

Peter

On 27/01/2019 12:52, phil wharram via Gramps-users wrote:

> [...]
>> Then good old Microsoft can do what it wants and usually does with anything on C Drive
>>
>>   From someone who started on DOS and went through all the windows versions but narrowly avoiding Vista.
>>
>> What could be simpler than E:\Data\Gramps
>>
>> Regards
>> Phil
>> MLFHS 12583
>> Dumfries
>>
>> On 26/01/2019 16:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
>>> To simplify any path example for Windows, it is better to use Environment Variables. This eliminates the whole "depending who you are logged in as" rigamarole of Windows. Use the "environment variable' for the universal path for any logged in Windows User.  You can use either of the following:
>>> % userprofile%%homepath%

Re: Problems with Event list menu after addin

Break free from?

Why would I, or anybody else of the 10's of millions using Windows break free of something that work day in and day out, and with a little effort you can also manage most of the settings yourself... While on Linux, if you really want to ensure that the system are fit, you need to be able to remember a lot of bash commands, and if you manage to write one line with an fault, the risk is that you need to reinstall the system because it will not boot...

Linux are great, but its not a simple and easy OS to use... and it can even be that you cant run it on a workstation because there are no drivers that works without a lot of errors and faults...

I have 2 workstations for photo and video editing, both dual xeon, both dual gpu, none the newest and greatest, but both runs well... but I can't get any Linux distro to run flawless on them, with the software I need... and I dont got time to use hundreds of hours trying... but when installing Windows 10 on them, they just run, and my software just run... even the Open Source ones I use...

So my choice will still be Windows, even though it cost some money...

and Windows 10 are a much better OS than XP... just saying...

jaran