Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

emma9158
I wonder if I am missing something, because I'm having problems with the
Graph view diagram add-on in ver 5.1.1. This has always been my "favorite
view", but with ver 5.1.1 the letters in the diagram are so tiny that I have
to scroll to a size where only a few boxes are visible in order to read
anything at all.
Changing the general size of letters or the style of letters in Gramps
doesn't seem to have any effect on the letters in the diagram, it only
increases the difference in size between the other letters in Gramps and the
tiny ones in the Graph view diagram.

I can adjust a number of things in the diagram, but not the size of the
letters. Removing avatars, pictures or exclude name of places in the diagram
doesn't help a bit, either. The size of the boxes and the size of the
letters in the boxes remain the same, I only get more empty space within the
boxes.
I have enclosed a picture to display what I mean. Here, I have scrolled the
diagram so big that the size of the letters doesn't differ so much from the
size of letters in the rest of Gramps, but as you can see, there are not
many boxes visible then.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

<http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/t375905/Graphview.png>

Re: Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

Patrick Gerlier
Quite strange, I can't identify how you get this picture. It looks as if
you generated a graphical report handled by GraphViz. However, it is
displayed in Gramps window. I don't understand either  what is diplayed
in the right side pane.

Please, explain which menu/command you used to display that.

Le 06/10/2019 à 12:39, emma9158 a écrit :

> I wonder if I am missing something, because I'm having problems with the
> Graph view diagram add-on in ver 5.1.1. This has always been my "favorite
> view", but with ver 5.1.1 the letters in the diagram are so tiny that I have
> to scroll to a size where only a few boxes are visible in order to read
> anything at all.
> Changing the general size of letters or the style of letters in Gramps
> doesn't seem to have any effect on the letters in the diagram, it only
> increases the difference in size between the other letters in Gramps and the
> tiny ones in the Graph view diagram.
>
> I can adjust a number of things in the diagram, but not the size of the
> letters. Removing avatars, pictures or exclude name of places in the diagram
> doesn't help a bit, either. The size of the boxes and the size of the
> letters in the boxes remain the same, I only get more empty space within the
> boxes.
> I have enclosed a picture to display what I mean. Here, I have scrolled the
> diagram so big that the size of the letters doesn't differ so much from the
> size of letters in the rest of Gramps, but as you can see, there are not
> many boxes visible then.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
>
> <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/t375905/Graphview.png>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

Peter Merchant
On 06/10/2019 12:41, Patrick Gerlier wrote:
> Quite strange, I can't identify how you get this picture. It looks as if you generated a graphical report handled by GraphViz. However, it is displayed in Gramps window. I don't understand either  what is diplayed in the right side pane.
>
> Please, explain which menu/command you used to display that.

This is a screenshot, I use the print screen button in Linux Kubuntu to get this, though it usually displays larger.

Emma? didn't say what Operating System she was using.

Peter

I don't have any problem with my graphview, though I have not configured it to show as much information.

I am gramps 5.1.1 on kubuntu 18.04 with a 19" VGA monitor

Le 06/10/2019 à 14:17, Peter Merchant a écrit :
> On 06/10/2019 12:41, Patrick Gerlier wrote:
>> Quite strange, I can't identify how you get this picture. It looks as if you generated a graphical report handled by GraphViz. However, it is displayed in Gramps window. I don't understand either  what is diplayed in the right side pane.
>>
>> Please, explain which menu/command you used to display that.
>>
> This is a screenshot, I use the print screen button in Linux Kubuntu to get this, though it usually displays larger.
Yes this is a screenshot, but when I use Graphview, the display is
somewhat different. In the screen shot case, it looks like a mix of
GraphViz (the ovals for the marriages and curved connectors) and
"traditional Graphview (the details for the persons). This is why I get
confused.

> Emma? didn't say what Operating System she was using.
Alas, yes

> Peter
>
> I don't have any problem with my graphview, though I have not configured it to show as much information.
>
> I am gramps 5.1.1 on kubuntu 18.04 with a 19" VGA monitor

My configuration: Fedora 30 with dual desktop KDE/MATE (the latter
mainly for Gramps), Gramps 5.1.1

Patrick

Re: Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

emma9158
<http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/t375905/Graphview.png>

I'm sorry, I forgot to write my OS again. I'm using Windows 64 bits version,
operating system is Windows 8, graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M.

In this thread:
http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Letters-seems-so-blurred-in-Gramps-5-1-1-td4686145.html
I posted about that letters seems blurred in Gramps 5.1.1, which is
obviously a common problem. I have since then changed to Arial size 11,
which has improved the looks of the program itself. With the Graphs view,
however, it has no effect at all what characters or which size I am using
for the letters (including switching to standard), the letters in Graph View
are always extremely tiny. I wonder if I am missing something, because the
author of this else excellent view has made almost everything customizeable,
with one exception: the size of the letters. And as it is now, I have to
scroll to a view that only includes a few boxes in order to make it possible
to at all read the text on a 17" laptop.

As for the question about the text to the right on my screenshot, it is a
gramps view that I think must be called "Relatives" in english - I'm running
Gramps in swedish and there it is called "Släktingar".

The Graph View add-on is a diagram that most definitely can be run from
inside Gramps itself. It is not a report, it's an interactive diagram. You
can see the icon at the top of my screenshot (looks like an "X" made of
boxes)

As my screenshot turned out to be so small, I'm adding it again in a larger
size. My apologizes for not doing it right the first time.

Emma Marie

Re: Problems with Graph view diagram Letter size in ver 5.1.1

emma9158
Just to clarify, this is the Graph view add-on I am talking about (it is
called "Diagramvy" in my Swedish Gramps).

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Graph_View

Emma Marie

Le 06/10/2019 à 14:44, emma9158 a écrit :
> <http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/t375905/Graphview.png>
>
> I'm sorry, I forgot to write my OS again. I'm using Windows 64 bits version,
> operating system is Windows 8, graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M.
> The Graph View add-on is a diagram that most definitely can be run from
> inside Gramps itself. It is not a report, it's an interactive diagram. You
> can see the icon at the top of my screenshot (looks like an "X" made of
> boxes)

Apologies! I didn't realize this was not the "standard" pedigree view
but an add-on. I found on its description on the Gramps site.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with this add-on.

I prefer to create a family line sent to GraphViz and output as PDF. To
avoid the text size problem you mention, I tell Gramps my sheet is A0 or
even larger so that I don"t need to zoom in the PDF viewer. Of course, I
don't intend to print the chart. It is only a work document. The
inconvenient of this method is the PDF document is outside Gramps and no
linked at all with it (meaning, I can't click on a box to open a person
record). But it does not really matter because I work with two 21" screens.

> As my screenshot turned out to be so small, I'm adding it again in a larger
> size. My apologizes for not doing it right the first time.
You're welcome. Computers often play tricks on our backs.

Patrick