Profession in Family Lines Graph

friteverte
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to display occupation/profession in family lines
graph or another graph with portrait. Does anybody have an idea how to
do it ? I'm using Gramps 4.2.2 on Ubuntu.

Regards,

François

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

paul womack
friteverte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to display occupation/profession in family lines graph or another graph with portrait. Does anybody have an idea how to do it ? I'm using Gramps 4.2.2 on Ubuntu.

How/where do you record occupation/profession in your DB?

  BugBear

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

friteverte
Thank you for your answer.

I didn't record the professions in my database yet. There is a field
called "profession" in events (I'm using the French version). It seems
to be called "Occupation" in the english version
(https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_Gramps).
But I also can use the "Attribute" Editor.

François

Le 22/11/2017 à 10:50, paul womack a écrit :

> friteverte wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to display occupation/profession in family
>> lines graph or another graph with portrait. Does anybody have an idea
>> how to do it ? I'm using Gramps 4.2.2 on Ubuntu.
>
> How/where do you record occupation/profession in your DB?
>
>  BugBear

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

friteverte
Does anybody have an idea to help me ?

Francois

Le 22/11/2017 à 12:53, friteverte a écrit :

> Thank you for your answer.
>
> I didn't record the professions in my database yet. There is a field
> called "profession" in events (I'm using the French version). It seems
> to be called "Occupation" in the english version
> (https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_Gramps).
> But I also can use the "Attribute" Editor.
>
> François
>

> Le 22/11/2017 à 10:50, paul womack a écrit :
>> friteverte wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a way to display occupation/profession in family
>>> lines graph or another graph with portrait. Does anybody have an
>>> idea how to do it ? I'm using Gramps 4.2.2 on Ubuntu.
>>
>> How/where do you record occupation/profession in your DB?
>>
>>  BugBear

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

Some graphical reports let you specify elements like birth, marriage and
death dates, but FLG only allows what's in the check boxes.  The report
would have to be modified.

On 11/27/2017 03:57 PM, friteverte wrote:

> Does anybody have an idea to help me ?
>
> Francois
>
> Le 22/11/2017 à 12:53, friteverte a écrit :
>> Thank you for your answer.
>>
>> I didn't record the professions in my database yet. There is a field
>> called "profession" in events (I'm using the French version). It seems to
>> be called "Occupation" in the english version
>> (https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_Gramps).
>> But I also can use the "Attribute" Editor.
>>
>> François

>>> How/where do you record occupation/profession in your DB?

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

Stéphane Charette-2
On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM, friteverte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anybody have an idea to help me ?

This isn't something that Family Lines currently supports.

Are you looking for programming help to make it happen?  Are you looking for help to create a feature ticket for it?

Stéphane

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM, friteverte <[hidden email]> wrote:

It would be nice if someone can programm this feature. Unfortunately, I can't help for this. And I don't know what is a feature ticket...

When someone wants a new feature or a bug fix, it helps to put in a ticket so the work can be tracked.  See here:  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php

Some information on tickets is available here:  https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bug_triage

Stéphane

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

prculley
The standard Relationship Graph includes the option to add an occupation. It's on the 'Include' tab.  Occupations are Events, with the type Occupation, as with other events, you can add a date range, place, notes citations media etc.

The Relationship Graph can also include a persons primary (first) photo and can be restricted by the use of filters, if you are only interested in a subset of your tree (if you have more than a couple of hundred, you better use a subset or the graph gets too big to print on any type of paper).

Paul C.

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM, friteverte <[hidden email]> wrote:

It would be nice if someone can programm this feature. Unfortunately, I can't help for this. And I don't know what is a feature ticket...

When someone wants a new feature or a bug fix, it helps to put in a ticket so the work can be tracked.  See here:  https://gramps-project.org/bugs/my_view_page.php

Some information on tickets is available here:  https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bug_triage

Stéphane

Re: Profession in Family Lines Graph

friteverte
I don't see the option to add an occupation in Relationship Graph. I only have these options :

  • Dates and /or Places:
    • Include (birth, marriage, death) dates, and place (default)
  • Include URLs (checkbox unchecked by default)
  • Include Gramps ID:
    • Do not include (default)
  • Include relationship to center person (checkbox unchecked by default)
  • Include thumbnail images of people (checkbox unchecked by default)
  • Thumbnail Location:
    • Above the name (default)
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports_-_part_5#Relationship_Graph

Add an occupation is possible in Ancestor Tree, but this tree do not include thumbnail images of people...

Le 28/11/2017 à 19:02, Paul Culley a écrit :
[...]

Sorry about that, I was mistakenly using Gramps5.0.0 alpha3 when I saw the option to include occupation.  The versions are mostly the same at first glance, I tend to forget that there are new features in v5.x.

If you want to try it, I think it is probably about as stable and free of bugs as Gramps 4.2.x is, at least for normal usage.  Just remember to make XML backups often in case you find something that doesn't work right and want to return to v4.2.x.  Gramps V4.2.x won't open a tree once its been opened and converted by Gramps 5.x so if you want to go back, you have to export to XML and import that into a new tree in v4.x.

Paul C.