Promote the Plug-in Manager Enhanced to default?

Promote the Plug-in Manager Enhanced to default?

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
I filed an Enhancement Request. But Sam suggested posting the idea for comment.

Would it be viable to make the Plug-in Manager Enhanced to default for 5.2 with the original Plugin Manager a bundled add-on? The original could be targeted for retiring the patch release about 6 months later?

It may be necessary to add something (the 4 options of add-on related Preferences) to the Enhanced tool. This would allow the GUI interface to have a single consolidated area for managing these tools.

The Enhanced add-on has become the recommended tool. Making it the default would simplify the Wiki and troubleshooting.

Also could a terminology choice be finalized between plugins (plug-ins?) & addons (add-ons?) for these items?

Perhaps consolidating would open new opportunities for expanding management tools... like tools for: distributing & managing beta tester patches; adding foreign languages & dictionaries somewhere other than just during install; sharing books of reports or custom filters.

Thanks for reading,
-Brian

Reference:
0011808: [Plugin Manager Enhanced]Consider making it default for Gramps 5.2.x release

Re: Promote the Plug-in Manager Enhanced to default?

GRAMPS - Dev mailing list
On 18/06/2020 02:35, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-devel wrote:
[...]

We use a plugin mechanism for both third-party extensions and core functionality.  When the plugin is provided by a third-party we refer to it is an addon.

I am currently planning a new addon manager for the management third-party addons and their updates.

The existing plugin manager is really aimed at developers and power users.  We don't encourage its use by normal users.