Propagating family name change?

Janusz S. Bień
Hi!

Is there a way to propagate a name change - or an alternative name - to
other members of the family (children etc.)? I'm afraid not...

I'm refining the data imported from GenePro which were considered just a
temporary notes and use only initials instead of the family names. Looks
like expanding the initials will be a hard and time-consuming work...

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,
Janusz S. Bien

Re: Propagating family name change?

prculley
Sometimes Gramps doesn't make things as easy as one might wish.  If your name changes consist of substitutions (prc -> Paul R Culley) or something similar, it might be easier to use a good text editor and its search/replace on the Gramps XML file.
Export your tree to the XML format (without compression), then open in text editor, do your search/replace and save the results.  Then import into a new tree.

If your version of Gramps doesn't have the "Use compression" checkbox on export, you will have to use a tool to decompress the .gramps file to its XML text version.  On Windows I use 7-zip.  You don't have to re-compress it after editing, Gramps can read the text XML.

Paul C.

On Wed, Sep 05 2018 at 11:54 -0500, Paul Culley wrote:
> Sometimes Gramps doesn't make things as easy as one might wish. If
> your name changes consist of substitutions (prc -> Paul R Culley) or
> something similar, it might be easier to use a good text editor and
> its search/replace on the Gramps XML file.  Export your tree to the
> XML format (without compression), then open in text editor, do your
> search/replace and save the results. Then import into a new tree.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,