Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Duncan Lithgow-2
If you never use the wiki, or never edit it, I still think this is a
relevant discussion for us all. Should we keep expanding the GRAMPS
wiki with general advice on genealogy or should we contribute that
advice somewhere else?

Now's a good time to think about this and comment before things start
moving (no links will be harmed in the making of this movie, oops I
mean move).

This has been discussed a bit on the GRAMPS wiki, below is part of the
current text from
<http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Portal:Genealogy>

Proposal to move genealogy advice outside this wiki
=================================

Reasons for the move
==============

    * Credibility is improved by keeping advice seperate from a
specific software solution
    * The GRAMPS wiki is relatively small and presumably gets few
non-GRAMPS users visiting
    * Supporting the best existing sites about genealogy reduces
duplication of effort
    * Involvement in more active (and diverse) websites increases the
potential for collaboration and original solutions and thoughts

Current problems with moving
===================

    * There are no good multilingual sites
    * Internal inks in this site need to be preserved (so don't
actually delete a page, leave a link to the new location)

Wishlist for genealogy advice website
========================
(Please sign you wishes so we can discuss them on the email lists)

    * Fully multi-lingual (Jerome), --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
    * The site must use a free license (free to use, modify and
distribute) --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
(help.ubuntu.com/community uses BY-SA )
    * Consensus among wiki editors on which site to use, so we can
endorse it for readers as our preferred choice. --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16
October 2008 (EDT)
    * Site should aggregate from other sites' content, to avoid
duplication (what's this called?)

Regards, Duncan
(got a few days free...)
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Laura Mellen

My advice is to definitely keep expanding the wiki with GRAMPS information and leave the genealogy information/help off the GRAMPS wiki. I only say this because there is so much information out there for Genealogists; amateur or professional...that a wiki including such information could very easily get to a huge size very quickly. I feel (as an amateur) that it's more important to make sure GRAMP's has a wonderful wiki than to add more subject matter to it.

I hope that makes sense. I am still trying to learn about GRAMPS and all it entails. If I want general gen information there are a ton of other sites out there.

Thank you :)
Laura

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:38:49 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gramps-users] Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki
>
> If you never use the wiki, or never edit it, I still think this is a
> relevant discussion for us all. Should we keep expanding the GRAMPS
> wiki with general advice on genealogy or should we contribute that
> advice somewhere else?
>
> Now's a good time to think about this and comment before things start
> moving (no links will be harmed in the making of this movie, oops I
> mean move).
>
> This has been discussed a bit on the GRAMPS wiki, below is part of the
> current text from
>

> Proposal to move genealogy advice outside this wiki
> =================================
>
> Reasons for the move
> ==============
>
>     * Credibility is improved by keeping advice seperate from a
> specific software solution
>     * The GRAMPS wiki is relatively small and presumably gets few
> non-GRAMPS users visiting
>     * Supporting the best existing sites about genealogy reduces
> duplication of effort
>     * Involvement in more active (and diverse) websites increases the
> potential for collaboration and original solutions and thoughts
>
> Current problems with moving
> ===================
>
>     * There are no good multilingual sites
>     * Internal inks in this site need to be preserved (so don't
> actually delete a page, leave a link to the new location)
>
> Wishlist for genealogy advice website
> ========================
> (Please sign you wishes so we can discuss them on the email lists)
>
>     * Fully multi-lingual (Jerome), --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
>     * The site must use a free license (free to use, modify and
> distribute) --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
> (help.ubuntu.com/community uses BY-SA )
>     * Consensus among wiki editors on which site to use, so we can
> endorse it for readers as our preferred choice. --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16
> October 2008 (EDT)
>     * Site should aggregate from other sites' content, to avoid
> duplication (what's this called?)
>
> Regards, Duncan
> (got a few days free...)
> --
> Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Susan Penter
I have checked out the wiki but not edited it and I also feel that it should be specifically about the software, nobody else (worth talking about) is covering that but there are hundreds of genealogical sites for all levels of user.
Susan

--
OPC for Lanteglos-by-Fowey
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/lanteglos_fowey.php

OPC coordinator for Wiltshire
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engwopcp/

Secretary to the PCC St. Michael's Headingley
http://www.st-michaels-headingley.org.uk/

Re: Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Benny Malengier
I don't mind moving the information as long as the spirit is retained: free to copy and reproduce.

I don't feel like supporting some private organization though.

Also, some things might be important in explaining how GRAMPS works. Eg, a glossary of terms, or explaining slash dates, or explaining how census works. These pages can be linked to from tutorials of how these things should be entered in GRAMPS. I don't think the manual or a tutorial should link to an outisde source of which you have no control over the evolution. So I do think something like a short explenation of census as background for a tutorial can remain on the site, although for an in depth discussion or further research, it is best to link to another site.

It would indeed be best to agree on which site, to keep things consistent. So the portal could then be removed, and just some pages that are relevant for the GRAMPS program and manual section remain.
Note also that some place to collect data and discuss it, in order to do feature requests and give background, will also remain needed.

Benny

2008/10/17 Susan Penter <[hidden email]>
I have checked out the wiki but not edited it and I also feel that it should be specifically about the software, nobody else (worth talking about) is covering that but there are hundreds of genealogical sites for all levels of user.
Susan

--
OPC for Lanteglos-by-Fowey
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/lanteglos_fowey.php

OPC coordinator for Wiltshire
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engwopcp/

Secretary to the PCC St. Michael's Headingley
http://www.st-michaels-headingley.org.uk/

Re: Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

Doug-11
I mostly go along with Laura .

But I think there will be places in the wiki where you'd need a brief
snippet of genealogy information to make sense of the Gramps. There
should be links from there to the genealogy site for people who want
more depth.

It would have been a good way to handle the recent discussion on 'call
name' , for example .

Doug

Laura Mellen wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Wishlist for genealogy advice website
>> ========================
>> (Please sign you wishes so we can discuss them on the email lists)
>>
>>     * Fully multi-lingual (Jerome), --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
>>     * The site must use a free license (free to use, modify and
>> distribute) --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16 October 2008 (EDT)
>> (help.ubuntu.com/community uses BY-SA )
>>     * Consensus among wiki editors on which site to use, so we can
>> endorse it for readers as our preferred choice. --DuncanNZ 09:33, 16
>> October 2008 (EDT)
>>     * Site should aggregate from other sites' content, to avoid
>> duplication (what's this called?)
>>
>> Regards, Duncan
>> (got a few days free...)
>> --
>> Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Proposal to move genealogy advice outside the gramps wiki

To all...

2008/10/17 Benny Malengier <[hidden email]>
I don't mind moving the information as long as the spirit is retained: free to copy and reproduce.
See the comparison on <http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Portal:Genealogy> for thoughts on that.

I don't feel like supporting some private organization though.
Generally I agree, but your definition of private might need clarifying.

Also, some things might be important in explaining how GRAMPS works. Eg, a glossary of terms, or explaining slash dates, or explaining how census works. These pages can be linked to from tutorials of how these things should be entered in GRAMPS.
I agree.

I don't think the manual or a tutorial should link to an outisde source of which you have no control over the evolution. So I do think something like a short explenation of census as background for a tutorial can remain on the site, although for an in depth discussion or further research, it is best to link to another site.
Again I agree. I think in fact that the packaged manual should link to the corresponding wiki page as a source of extra information on that aspect of GRAMPS. From there we might choose to link to outside sites.

It would indeed be best to agree on which site, to keep things consistent.
Please, everyone, add your thoughts on this to <http://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Portal:Genealogy> so we can approach consensus.

Regards, Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk