Proposed place formatting dialogs

I have mocked up a couple of new place formatting dialogs:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/GEPS_045:_Place_Model_Enhancements_-_Place_Changes_Screenshots#Enhanced_Place_Format_Editor

We could possibly add some more formatting options such as bold, italic
and uppercase.

How do you use the existing place formatting?  What formats would you
like to be able to create?

Let us know what you think.  Feedback is welcome.

Re: Proposed place formatting dialogs

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Nick,

When it comes to formatting, it would be nice to be able to use a Style from a CSS Stylesheet rather than the more limited fixed format options.

Of course, that means having a few basic pre-built Styles in a Stylesheet.

-Brian

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:36, Nick Hall
Hi,

I have mocked up a couple of new place formatting dialogs:

We could possibly add some more formatting options such as bold, italic
and uppercase.

How do you use the existing place formatting?  What formats would you
like to be able to create?

Let us know what you think.  Feedback is welcome.

Re: Proposed place formatting dialogs

brian fitzgerald
Thanks Nick,

  How do you propose to let us use time-dependant place-name-types for
an arbitrary place?

Eg when in 1855 the 'village' of Barrabehy was razed and the place was
afterwards known as a 'locality' (only in the memory of some neighbors
and in some older maps).

or such-and-such house/castle transitions to a ruins between x and Y dates?

I think this model can accomodate that aspect but can the reports? I
suppose a very detailed and expansive entry in the wiki can fix this.

brian

On 4/11/19 1:32 PM, Nick Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have mocked up a couple of new place formatting dialogs:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/GEPS_045:_Place_Model_Enhancements_-_Place_Changes_Screenshots#Enhanced_Place_Format_Editor
>

> We could possibly add some more formatting options such as bold,
> italic and uppercase.
>
> How do you use the existing place formatting?  What formats would you
> like to be able to create?
>
> Let us know what you think.  Feedback is welcome.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

Re: Proposed place formatting dialogs

Nick Hall
On 11/04/2019 22:11, brian wrote:

>  How do you propose to let us use time-dependant place-name-types for
> an arbitrary place?
>
> Eg when in 1855 the 'village' of Barrabehy was razed and the place was
> afterwards known as a 'locality' (only in the memory of some neighbors
> and in some older maps).
>
> or such-and-such house/castle transitions to a ruins between x and Y
> dates?
>
> I think this model can accomodate that aspect but can the reports? I
> suppose a very detailed and expansive entry in the wiki can fix this.

I don't see a problem.

First the hierarchy is traversed for a given date and hierarchy type.
This gives us a list of names with their corresponding type.

Then we format the types, optionally using formatting specified for a
given section of the tree.

Can you give an actual example of what formatting you want?

Re: Proposed place formatting dialogs

Philip Weiss
The formatting I would most like to be able to do is:

When I have a city, I want the county to be displayed in a place like:

Seattle, King, Washington, USA

When I don't have a city, I want the county to be displayed in a place like:

King County, Washington, USA

Phil.

On Apr 11 2019, at 10:32 am, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have mocked up a couple of new place formatting dialogs:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/GEPS_045:_Place_Model_Enhancements_-_Place_Changes_Screenshots#Enhanced_Place_Format_Editor

We could possibly add some more formatting options such as bold, italic
and uppercase.

How do you use the existing place formatting?  What formats would you
like to be able to create?

Let us know what you think.  Feedback is welcome.

Re: Proposed place formatting dialogs

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Phil,

Tis has been percolating for a while.

What if it explicitly stated the deepest enclosed type? That would set the zero point for the scale of reference on the rest of the place desciption. Using your examples, it would be:

City of Seattle, King, Washington, USA
County of King, Washington, USA

or

Seattle city, King, Washington, USA
King county, Washington, US

or

Seattle (city), King, Washington, USA
King (county), Washington, US

-Brian

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 11:21, Philip Weiss