Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

hieronym
Would there be a filter for the Pub. Info field in "Sources"?
Like "Is the Pub. Info field empty?".
Thank you!

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

prculley
Not at this time.  If several people are interested, I think I could design one and make it an addon...

Paul C.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:56 AM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would there be a filter for the Pub. Info field in "Sources"?
Like "Is the Pub. Info field empty?".
Thank you!

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

Dave Scheipers
Hi Paul

The Citation filter editor has the Source Parameter option that I
expected to see in the Source editor. Using it works for what hieronym
wants but because it deals with citation, you get multiple instances
of the source meeting the criteria for each citation attached to it.

Dave

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not at this time.  If several people are interested, I think I could design
> one and make it an addon...
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:56 AM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Would there be a filter for the Pub. Info field in "Sources"?
>> Like "Is the Pub. Info field empty?".
>> Thank you!
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

Hi hieronym,

The filter I mentioned in the post back to Paul is in the Citation
Filter editor.

Edit Rule >> Source Filters >> Sources Matching Parameters

Put a dot (.) in the publication field.
Check the box Use Regular Expressions.

This will actually select the sources that DO have publication info.

In the Define Filter screen, at the very bottom, check the Return
Values that do not match the filter rules. Selecting records opposite
of the filter rule. In this scenario, blank Publication fields.

As I mentioned in the post to Paul, because this filters citations,
you will get the Source Title for every citation in the filter.

Not knowing what your end game for the information is, you can make
sure that the Publication info is displayed in the source list.
Sorting on the Publication column will at least group the records you
want.

You can also export this list to a CSV file that you can import into a
spreadsheet to further manipulate.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 6:56 AM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would there be a filter for the Pub. Info field in "Sources"?
> Like "Is the Pub. Info field empty?".
> Thank you!
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

hieronym
Hi Dave,

thanks a lot for your solution which is a very good approximation of my
need.
Not using (yet) the citations I had not noticed these specific filters.
Do you know if there is a rational not having "source matching parameters"
in the general filters?

Again thank you for your help,

Hieronym (Qui vivit in mundo coram citationes)

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

Dave Scheipers
Hi Hieronym

Not sure why the source filter option is in citations but not in the
source filter area. It might have to do with sources being one of the
smaller databases so until now, no one had the need. Truthfully, I had
never really explored the source filter options until now for my own
needs.

I tweaked the file from citations and moved it to sources to add it
for myself. I sent it to Paul for him to check out and to make sure I
didn't 'break' anything. I don't think so. I asked him to share it
with you and others if he okays my work. He should be able to send out
on this list or at least point everyone to the gramps website to get
it.

I can send it to you privately but I'll wait for Paul's stamp of
approval first. I really don't know enough about the code to write my
own tweaks. It took me several tries to get it to work by seeing how
the other filtering code files were written.

Glade I could help (my way of giving back to Gramps), Dave

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> thanks a lot for your solution which is a very good approximation of my
> need.
> Not using (yet) the citations I had not noticed these specific filters.
> Do you know if there is a rational not having "source matching parameters"
> in the general filters?
>
> Again thank you for your help,
>
> Hieronym (Qui vivit in mundo coram citationes)
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

prculley
I have just converted Dave's new Source filter to an addon and posted it to the repository for Gramps 4.2.x.  You can find it by using Edit/Preferences/Check Now, with New and Updated Addons and looking under 'New Plugin lib'.

If you want to look for empty fields, you can use the 'Regular Expressions' checkbox, and put '^$' in the field you want to be empty (means match start of field and end of field with nothing in between).

Let me know if you have issues...

Paul C.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hieronym

Not sure why the source filter option is in citations but not in the
source filter area. It might have to do with sources being one of the
smaller databases so until now, no one had the need. Truthfully, I had
never really explored the source filter options until now for my own
needs.

I tweaked the file from citations and moved it to sources to add it
for myself. I sent it to Paul for him to check out and to make sure I
didn't 'break' anything. I don't think so. I asked him to share it
with you and others if he okays my work. He should be able to send out
on this list or at least point everyone to the gramps website to get
it.

I can send it to you privately but I'll wait for Paul's stamp of
approval first. I really don't know enough about the code to write my
own tweaks. It took me several tries to get it to work by seeing how
the other filtering code files were written.

Glade I could help (my way of giving back to Gramps), Dave

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> thanks a lot for your solution which is a very good approximation of my
> need.
> Not using (yet) the citations I had not noticed these specific filters.
> Do you know if there is a rational not having "source matching parameters"
> in the general filters?
>
> Again thank you for your help,
>
> Hieronym (Qui vivit in mundo coram citationes)
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

Dave Scheipers
Hi Paul

Worked great.

Thanks for the credit but I would never have been able to produce the
file from scratch.

The '^$' Regular Expression would have worked in the Side Filter all along.

Dave

PS: I did remember to remove my filter from \rules\source before
installing the addon.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just converted Dave's new Source filter to an addon and posted it to
> the repository for Gramps 4.2.x.  You can find it by using
> Edit/Preferences/Check Now, with New and Updated Addons and looking under
> 'New Plugin lib'.
>
> If you want to look for empty fields, you can use the 'Regular Expressions'
> checkbox, and put '^$' in the field you want to be empty (means match start
> of field and end of field with nothing in between).
>
> Let me know if you have issues...
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hieronym
>>
>> Not sure why the source filter option is in citations but not in the
>> source filter area. It might have to do with sources being one of the
>> smaller databases so until now, no one had the need. Truthfully, I had
>> never really explored the source filter options until now for my own
>> needs.
>>
>> I tweaked the file from citations and moved it to sources to add it
>> for myself. I sent it to Paul for him to check out and to make sure I
>> didn't 'break' anything. I don't think so. I asked him to share it
>> with you and others if he okays my work. He should be able to send out
>> on this list or at least point everyone to the gramps website to get
>> it.
>>
>> I can send it to you privately but I'll wait for Paul's stamp of
>> approval first. I really don't know enough about the code to write my
>> own tweaks. It took me several tries to get it to work by seeing how
>> the other filtering code files were written.
>>
>> Glade I could help (my way of giving back to Gramps), Dave
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > thanks a lot for your solution which is a very good approximation of my
>> > need.
>> > Not using (yet) the citations I had not noticed these specific filters.
>> > Do you know if there is a rational not having "source matching
>> > parameters"
>> > in the general filters?
>> >
>> > Again thank you for your help,
>> >
>> > Hieronym (Qui vivit in mundo coram citationes)
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

prculley
I'm afraid my attempt at a filter rule plugin is not going to work.  It seems that Gramps tries to load the users filters early on during Gramps startup, before the plugins are scanned.  So the filter rule is not found.

It works the very first time the rule is used, because by the time you use the filter editor the rule is loaded.  But subsequent Gramps startups cannot find the rule.

I'm going to have to revert the filter from the repository until I can think of some other way to get it installed, or until the next version of Gramps (5.1.x) with new functionality comes out.

Paul C.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul

Worked great.

Thanks for the credit but I would never have been able to produce the
file from scratch.

The '^$' Regular Expression would have worked in the Side Filter all along.

Dave

PS: I did remember to remove my filter from \rules\source before
installing the addon.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have just converted Dave's new Source filter to an addon and posted it to
> the repository for Gramps 4.2.x.  You can find it by using
> Edit/Preferences/Check Now, with New and Updated Addons and looking under
> 'New Plugin lib'.
>
> If you want to look for empty fields, you can use the 'Regular Expressions'
> checkbox, and put '^$' in the field you want to be empty (means match start
> of field and end of field with nothing in between).
>
> Let me know if you have issues...
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hieronym
>>
>> Not sure why the source filter option is in citations but not in the
>> source filter area. It might have to do with sources being one of the
>> smaller databases so until now, no one had the need. Truthfully, I had
>> never really explored the source filter options until now for my own
>> needs.
>>
>> I tweaked the file from citations and moved it to sources to add it
>> for myself. I sent it to Paul for him to check out and to make sure I
>> didn't 'break' anything. I don't think so. I asked him to share it
>> with you and others if he okays my work. He should be able to send out
>> on this list or at least point everyone to the gramps website to get
>> it.
>>
>> I can send it to you privately but I'll wait for Paul's stamp of
>> approval first. I really don't know enough about the code to write my
>> own tweaks. It took me several tries to get it to work by seeing how
>> the other filtering code files were written.
>>
>> Glade I could help (my way of giving back to Gramps), Dave
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM, hieronym <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > thanks a lot for your solution which is a very good approximation of my
>> > need.
>> > Not using (yet) the citations I had not noticed these specific filters.
>> > Do you know if there is a rational not having "source matching
>> > parameters"
>> > in the general filters?
>> >
>> > Again thank you for your help,
>> >
>> > Hieronym (Qui vivit in mundo coram citationes)
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

Dave Scheipers
Hi Paul

I installed the addon. Shut down gramps and restarted. The filter
option was there.

I've been away from the computer until now but restarted gramps, and
the filter option was available and I just ran a test and it works.

4.2.6 on win10

Dave

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm afraid my attempt at a filter rule plugin is not going to work.  It
> seems that Gramps tries to load the users filters early on during Gramps
> startup, before the plugins are scanned.  So the filter rule is not found.
>
> It works the very first time the rule is used, because by the time you use
> the filter editor the rule is loaded.  But subsequent Gramps startups cannot
> find the rule.
>
> I'm going to have to revert the filter from the repository until I can think
> of some other way to get it installed, or until the next version of Gramps
> (5.1.x) with new functionality comes out.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> Worked great.
>>
>> Thanks for the credit but I would never have been able to produce the
>> file from scratch.
>>
>> The '^$' Regular Expression would have worked in the Side Filter all
>> along.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> PS: I did remember to remove my filter from \rules\source before
>> installing the addon.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I have just converted Dave's new Source filter to an addon and posted it
>> > the repository for Gramps 4.2.x.  You can find it by using
>> > Edit/Preferences/Check Now, with New and Updated Addons and looking
>> > under
>> > 'New Plugin lib'.
>> >
>> > If you want to look for empty fields, you can use the 'Regular
>> > Expressions'
>> > checkbox, and put '^$' in the field you want to be empty (means match
>> > start
>> > of field and end of field with nothing in between).
>> >
>> > Let me know if you have issues...
>> >
>> > Paul C.
>> >
>> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave Scheipers
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

paul womack
Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> Worked great.
>
> Thanks for the credit but I would never have been able to produce the
> file from scratch.
>
> The '^$' Regular Expression would have worked in the Side Filter all along.

I suspect a lot of Gramps users aren't getting all the benefit
from RegExps's they could be. For example, I find it very useful
when wanting to search for a group of items (e.g. a small number of Places)

Using a regexp "or" on the IDs is very handy.

  BugBear

Re: Pub. Info filter in "Sources"

hieronym
Hi Dave & Paul,

I can now use regexps in all Sources fields with the Sources Filter sidebar
and it is really powerful.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jérôme (another one)

Gramps 4.2.5 on Ubuntu 16.04