Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal

I have an old EEE PC 701 with the specifications listed below. (The link
gives the full specification. )

I am now familiar with Gramps but I have no knowledge of Linux. I plan
to install bootable Puppy Linux on a memory stick and then install
GRAMPS on the internal 20Gb drive. My research shows that I should not
have any problem with Puppy on the hardware but I would be grateful for
any comments as this is uncharted territory for me.

I am a little bit concerned about the 800 by 480 native resolution. Does
that mean I might have to scroll?  I can live with that.

  I am doing this partly to use some old hardware, partly to get some
experience of Linux and partly so that I can enjoy GRAMPS on the sofa.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eee-pc-701

Martin

CPU 900-MHz Intel Celeron Processor
RAM 512MB
Hard Drive Size 4GB
Hard Drive Type SSD Drive
Display Size 7
Native Resolution 800x480
Graphics Card Integrated graphics/64MB
Video Memory 64MB
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g

---

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Nick Hall
On 01/03/2019 20:05, Martin H. Watson & Alice Laird wrote:
> I am a little bit concerned about the 800 by 480 native resolution.
> Does that mean I might have to scroll?  I can live with that.

Gramps is designed to be usable on a 800x600 resolution screen, so you
may have to scroll vertically.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/UI_style

Let us know what if you have any problems.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Richard Nairn
As a Linux guy - I wouldn't recommend your potential set up.

I wouldn't run from memory stick. That will be very slow. Plus the
system won't retain settings between. That way you can load any packages
you require and will have a stable environment to run with.

Better to do a full install. That won't take too much room. The specs
you list below say it is running an SSD? That will make the system
pretty snappy with a light weight distro.

You will have to see if the screen size gives you enough room to do what
you want. But that is all about customizing your environment as far as
font sizes and what you need.

On 3/1/19 2:05 PM, Martin H. Watson & Alice Laird wrote:

> I have an old EEE PC 701 with the specifications listed below. (The link
> gives the full specification. )
>
> I am now familiar with Gramps but I have no knowledge of Linux. I plan to
> install bootable Puppy Linux on a memory stick and then install GRAMPS on
> the internal 20Gb drive. My research shows that I should not have any
> problem with Puppy on the hardware but I would be grateful for any
> comments as this is uncharted territory for me.
>
> I am a little bit concerned about the 800 by 480 native resolution. Does
> that mean I might have to scroll?  I can live with that.
>
>  I am doing this partly to use some old hardware, partly to get some
> experience of Linux and partly so that I can enjoy GRAMPS on the sofa.
>

> https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eee-pc-701
>
> Martin
>
> CPU     900-MHz Intel Celeron Processor
> RAM     512MB
> Hard Drive Size     4GB
> Hard Drive Type     SSD Drive
> Display Size     7
> Native Resolution     800x480
> Graphics Card     Integrated graphics/64MB
> Video Memory     64MB
> Wi-Fi     802.11b/g

A used 3-4 year old laptop should be pretty cheap, and get you a bigger screen.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

rider

Martnal wrote
> I have an old EEE PC 701 with the specifications listed below. (The link
> gives the full specification. )

I used Gramps on a 70x eeepc and it was not a good fit for me because of the
scrolling.  But there is no problem with the size of your puppy linux if you
do decide to install it.  I have debian installed on that eeepc now and use
it as a music server.  Use a large capacity usb for storage to get around
the size of the internal drive.

Ron had a good suggestion about using an older laptop.  If you want to stay
small, a notebook with ~11" screen works well for me with Gramps and is easy
to carry to libraries for research.  If you stick with Linux, you won't need
the drive capacity Windows requires.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
Thanks for all your contributions. I have the hardware so I'm going with that
option. I'm going to give it a try and I will report back here or ask for
more help. Thanks to all.

Martin.

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

John Paton
On 02/03/2019 13:53, Martnal wrote:

> Thanks for all your contributions. I have the hardware so I'm going with that
> option. I'm going to give it a try and I will report back here or ask for
> more help. Thanks to all.
>
> Martin.
>

> -----
>
> Martin, SW London
>
> Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
> FT-DNA Kit B388093.
>
> Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
> Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
> Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
> Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
> Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).
>
> I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.
> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Is it even possible to 'install' Puppy Linux. May have changed but the
last time I looked at it, it was only possible to run it as a 'live'
distribution from CD or Memory Stick. I was looking at re-purposing an
old PC and wanted a really light weight distro but I couldn't find a way
of actually getting Puppy onto the hard disk.

John

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
Notwithstanding John Paton's comment, which I will look into, I successfully
created a boot USB and loaded Puppy Linux on to the Eee 701 PC. I connected
to the internet and to the Gramps site at which point I decided to try
installing Gramps. I was unsure which distribution to download. This is an
area about which I know nothing. I would be grateful for any advice. I think
it is highly likely that I will be installing Puppy Linux onto the solid
state drive, if it is possible.

Could somebody please explain the concept of the several distributions
please?

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Peter Flynn
On 03/03/2019 21:53, Martnal wrote:
> Notwithstanding John Paton's comment, which I will look into,

 From what he said, it sounded as if it cannot be installed onto a hard
disk or SSD, only a USB, but this sounds unlikely to me. With the right
tools I would imagine it certainly *can* be installed on a hard disk or SSD.

> I successfully
> created a boot USB and loaded Puppy Linux on to the Eee 701 PC.

By "loaded" I assume you mean "got running" not "installed".

> I connected
> to the internet and to the Gramps site at which point I decided to try
> installing Gramps. I was unsure which distribution to download.

This will depend on which architecture of Puppy you are running. They
provide three: Ubuntu Xenial, Ubuntu Tahr, and Slackware — which one did
you use? The Gramps site has a list at
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Download#Linux_distributions
which has links to all three architectures — click the 'available
versions' link for Ubuntu or Slackware and pick the one which matches
the Puppy architecture you have running.

For Ubuntu, what you download is a .deb file for which you will need a
Debian-type installer like Synaptic or gdebi-gtk — I don't know if they
come with Puppy or not: this is one of the drawbacks of using a heavily
cut-down system.

I have no experience with Slackware, so if that's the Puppy you're
using, you will nee to get help from a Slackware user.

> This is an
> area about which I know nothing. I would be grateful for any advice.

It's not hard, but heavily cut-down systems tend to be missing the
utilities needed to install stuff the makers never envisaged.

> I think
> it is highly likely that I will be installing Puppy Linux onto the solid
> state drive, if it is possible.

That will mean re-installing Gramps every time you boot Puppy, unless it
provides a way to install additional software like Gramps to the USB you
booted from — again, perfectly possible, but you would have to know
whether or not it has that feature.

> Could somebody please explain the concept of the several distributions
> please?

If you're referring to what Puppy say about this on their site, that's
all the information anyone has. I'm not sure it's a good idea to fork
their distribution this way because every user will end up with their
own little pocket universe unlike everyone else's (if I have understood
correctly what they are saying).

///Peter

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

On 03/03/2019 21:53, Martnal wrote:
> Could somebody please explain the concept of the several distributions
> please?

I suggest you download the tar file and install from source:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Linux:Build_from_source

The following wiki page may also be of interest:

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_on_the_Eee

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
I used Tahr Puppy. I will try the Ubuntu version.

Peter, when I said SSD, I was referring to the internal drive, not the USB.

More later. Thank you.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
I admit that I am way out of my depth, and I'm sure that on day one of using
Linux the idea isn't to try installing something like Gramps but I gave it a
try. I now get a message from Puppy package manager saying that Gramps
5.0.1-1 all. Deb failed to install.  I am still booting from the USB drive.
Is it possible that the system is trying to install Gramps to the USB drive?
Could that cause that error? It is a 4 gigabyte USB drive. Am I trying to
run before I can walk?

Martin

-----

On 04/03/2019 12:55, Martnal wrote:
> I now get a message from Puppy package manager saying that Gramps
> 5.0.1-1 all. Deb failed to install.

What error messages are you getting?  Perhaps it is a problem with one
of the dependencies.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
This post was updated on .
Nick, all I get is "Gramps 5.0.0-1_all.Deb failed to install."

I'm going to install Puppy Linux Ubuntu Tahr 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5 to the
internal drive, and try again.

Edit, later.  I tried to install to the fixed internal SSD and it installed OK, but won't boot from it.  I tried the GRAMPS installation again and got the same message.  I then tried downloading and saving the GRAMPS package and ran it locally and got the same message.

Gramps_5.0.0-1_all.deb failed to install

I am trying to avoid needing to know anything about the OS.  I am surprised I am finding this so difficult.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Barry Titterton
On 04/03/2019 12:55, Martnal wrote:

> Am I trying to
> run before I can walk?
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I think the answer is - yes.

Please take the following comments as friendly advice rather than any
form of criticism.

The Wonderful World Of Linux can be very confusing for new members; I
remember my own feelings quite clearly. I would not recommend Puppy
Linux as the first experience for a new user:  Puppy Linux is very
clever, but also quite weird in the way it behaves. Distros that are
designed for low power machines have to make compromises which means
they can act differently from the more main stream distros that are
intended for new users (such as Linux Mint). These compromises also mean
that some software is not supported out of the box, and Gramps appears
to be one of those apps. This link shows the list of software that is
supported out of the box, and Gramps isn't on the list:-

https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/

The Wiki pages also say that installing from .deb files is also not
fully supported, because .deb files expect all of the default Linux
features to be present, and Puppy is missing some features. The forums
suggest that you can get Gramps to work but it is not something I would
recommend a new user to try and tackle.

Other contributors have already mentioned that main stream distros work
well on old laptops. Anything that will run Vista or early Win 7 will
also give good performance on Linux. You should be able to find a cheap,
or even free, old machine to practice on (Just last year I was given an
old Win7 desktop for free that runs Linux very well).

Please keep experimenting with Puppy Linux on your current machine, but
be aware of its limitations.

Regards,
Barry T

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Martnal
Barry, thank you for the candour.  My delayed response is due to my continued
unsuccessful efforts.  Specifically, what version do you think I should try?
Great speed is not of great importance.  Getting Linux and GRAMPS running on
my Eee PC 901 (not as I originally thought, 701) would be enough.

Martin

-----

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Martin, SW London

Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093.

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London);
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool);
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool).

I am using GrampsAIO64-5.0.0-1 on Windows 10.

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

Richard Nairn
I would look at Lubuntu. It has the easy of Ubuntu with a lightwieght
window manager that is good for older systems.

On 08/03/2019 13:21, Martnal wrote:
> Barry, thank you for the candour.  My delayed response is due to my continued
> unsuccessful efforts.  Specifically, what version do you think I should try?
> Great speed is not of great importance.  Getting Linux and GRAMPS running on
> my Eee PC 901 (not as I originally thought, 701) would be enough.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I do not own an Eee PC but I have done a bit of research and have a few
suggestions:-

Firstly I have noticed from your posts that you are using Puppy Tahr,
which is based on Ubuntu 14.04

http://puppylinux.com/download.html

but you are trying to install Gramps version 5.0.1 which is intended for
Ubuntu version 19.04, so you have a conflict of compatibility.
(The Ubuntu number is a date code that refers to the release date of the
particular version: 14.04 means April 2014).

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gramps&searchon=names

You can either keep using Puppy Tahr and try installing an earlier
version of Gramps (4.0.3). Or install a newer version on Puppy
(BionicPup64 18.04) with a newer version of Gramps (4.2.8), but this
newer version is 64 bit only and may not work on the Eee PC.

Second option is to try another distro. Here is a list of distros that
work well on low powered machines:

https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

I did find a forum user that claimed to have got Antix Linux to work on
an Eee PC 901. Remember to use the appropriate matching version of Gramps.

The third option is to go along to your local Linux User Group and ask
for help in person. I am sure that you will find someone who will be
happy to help. Here is a list of LUGs, but some may not be very active.
Drop an email to your nearest and ask about meeting nights.

https://lug.org.uk/

Cheers,
Barry T

Re: Puppy Linux on a memory stick

prculley
There isn't really a 'matching version of Gramps'.  As long as the OS provides a reasonably recent version of Python (3.3 or greater) and Gtk (3.10 or greater) as well as a few other prerequisites, even the most recent version of Gramps should work fine.

The way distros package versions of applications does provide some tested compatibility, however the Gramps team tries to make sure Gramps will work with most anything relatively recent.

Paul C.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 12:48 PM Barry Titterton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/03/2019 13:21, Martnal wrote:
> Barry, thank you for the candour.  My delayed response is due to my continued
> unsuccessful efforts.  Specifically, what version do you think I should try?
> Great speed is not of great importance.  Getting Linux and GRAMPS running on
> my Eee PC 901 (not as I originally thought, 701) would be enough.
>
> Martin

Hi Martin,

I do not own an Eee PC but I have done a bit of research and have a few
suggestions:-

Firstly I have noticed from your posts that you are using Puppy Tahr,
which is based on Ubuntu 14.04

http://puppylinux.com/download.html

but you are trying to install Gramps version 5.0.1 which is intended for
Ubuntu version 19.04, so you have a conflict of compatibility.
(The Ubuntu number is a date code that refers to the release date of the
particular version: 14.04 means April 2014).

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gramps&searchon=names

You can either keep using Puppy Tahr and try installing an earlier
version of Gramps (4.0.3). Or install a newer version on Puppy
(BionicPup64 18.04) with a newer version of Gramps (4.2.8), but this
newer version is 64 bit only and may not work on the Eee PC.

Second option is to try another distro. Here is a list of distros that
work well on low powered machines:

https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

I did find a forum user that claimed to have got Antix Linux to work on
an Eee PC 901. Remember to use the appropriate matching version of Gramps.

The third option is to go along to your local Linux User Group and ask
for help in person. I am sure that you will find someone who will be
happy to help. Here is a list of LUGs, but some may not be very active.
Drop an email to your nearest and ask about meeting nights.

https://lug.org.uk/

Cheers,
Barry T

Reorder Gramps Source ID

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I would like my printout of Sources (Sources and Citations report) to be
printed in Source ID order.

I thought "I will Reorder Source ID's" . The jumbled mess that resulted
defies common sense.

The sources are not ordered according to Alphanumerical sort of the
Source Title, nor Author. It has absolutely nothing to do with File
Order. So What is it ?

George Baynes