Quantcast

Q: grouping surname variations - soundex sorting option

Q: grouping surname variations - soundex sorting option

TJMcK
I have a large collection of surnames that have many variations -- and these variations can start with different characters causing problems for me to efficiently move between, compare, analyze people with variants of the same surname. Adding all the variations to "additional names" would be an impossible task (unless I find a way to batch edit - see first question).  The only solution I can think of is, to add a soundex sort column in the person view.
How do other GRAMPS users work with "grouping" all the same surname variations?

Re: Q: grouping surname variations - soundex sorting option

Martin Steer-2
On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:35:11PM -0800, TJMcK wrote:
>I have a large collection of surnames that have many variations -- and these
>variations can start with different characters causing problems for me to
>efficiently move between, compare, analyze people with variants of the same
>surname. Adding all the variations to "additional names" would be an
>impossible task (unless I find a way to batch edit - see first question).
>The only solution I can think of is, to add a soundex sort column in the
>person view.
>How do other GRAMPS users work with "grouping" all the same surname
>variations?

Selecting the Names tab for some person and clicking on a name will
bring up a name editor. See there an option to group the name under
something of your choosing. Perhaps that's what you need.

I wouldn't add a variation as an additional name unless it was
significantly different, and was attested for the individual in
question.

M.

Re: Q: grouping surname variations - soundex sorting option

TJMcK
Martin, thanks for your response.  I tried using this feature and I'm having some trouble...

When I click on override and enter a primary surname in the "group as" field, I get an option to either "group this name" OR "group all".  1) If I choose "group all", it appears that the option is not saved as the "group as" column remains blank.  And 2) if I choose "group this name", the name that I specified in the "group as" field IS saved and shows in the column, BUT shouldn't that new "group as" name show up in the person view, sorted with the other surnames (shown in red)? Because I can't find it.

Can you help?

Re: Q: grouping surname variations - soundex sorting option

TJMcK
Can anyone help me or point me to the help page that explains this feature?  I've tried working with this "feature" and can't figure out how it works (or if it works)...

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 04:32:23PM -0800, TJMcK wrote:

>Martin, thanks for your response.  I tried using this feature and I'm
>having some trouble...

I don't use it, and having played with it, I don't like it too much.

However, I have done some playing. You can do that too, if you set up a
testing database (family tree) with a few names in it. If you break
something there, it won't matter.

>When I click on override and enter a primary surname in the "group as"
>field, I get an option to either "group this name" OR "group all".  1) If I
>choose "group all", it appears that the option is not saved as the "group
>as" column remains blank.

Ignore it. That column doesn't show group alls, apparently.

This works for me:

Select override, enter your 'group as' token, select OK, choose between
'group this name' or 'group all'.

If it doesn't seem to be working, remove your modifications, e.g.
override Smith to Smith with 'group all', and start again.

>And 2) if I choose "group this name", the name that I specified in the
>"group as" field IS saved and shows in the column, BUT shouldn't that
>new "group as" name show up in the person view, sorted with the other
>surnames (shown in red)? Because I can't find it.

I don't know if I understand your problem (no red in my display), but
the 'group as' token isn't an additional name, it's an organisational
group.

There are two variants for the person listing, 'person view' and 'person
tree view'. The latter shows grouping. Select it from the View menu.

M.