Query. Print Pedigree chart on one A4 page.

Query. Print Pedigree chart on one A4 page.

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Hi
My family tree record is not that large and the Pedigree chart fits pretty much on the laptop screen.
However it prints out as 4 x A4 pages. I have tried to check via the 'help' how to do it on one A4 but with out any success. Do I need a plug in or is there an existing inbuilt solution?
Tim

Sent from my Huawei phone

Re: Query. Print Pedigree chart on one A4 page.

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Which Pedigree chart are you trying to print?

Are you printing from a charts view, a report, or a Gramplet? Each has different output options.

By the way, A2 is 4 times the size of A4... A0 is 4x that size.  Can you print to a PDF on single sheet of a larger page size & then print the resulting oversized PDF but use the OS print scaling to fit it to A4?

My personal preference for the MOST compact pedigree is to copy all the content from the Pedigree Gramplet & paste it into a word processor.

It takes some playing with the formatting. You have to reset the font to a non-proportional one (like Courier) & play with the "Exactly" 'line leading' to bring the aligned text-based line-drawing graphics together. But that's pretty straightforward. (For instance, using a 10point line-height with an 11 or 12point font eliminates the white-space between rows of text.)

-Brian

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:49, Tim.ballycarn--- via Gramps-users

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Query. Print Pedigree chart on one A4 page.

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi and thank you for the response.

I was trying to print from the Reports, Pedigree Chart. Also,I can see the chart on screen using the side bar Charts icon: but I do not see a way to print from that view.

I tried to print PDF to a larger paper (A 3) as suggested. The paper option accepted the change but the consequence was that the 'scale' of each PDF page was increased and I still ended up with a three page document!

I would like to try your suggestion to copy all the contents from the Pedigree Chart Gramplet and paste to a word processor. Time for confession, I have never got to grips with the Gramplet provisions in Gramps and I don't know if I have the Gramplet you refer to or indeed how to get it! I'm sure it is frustrating to deal with some one who is unjustifiably ignorant with the extended capabilities of the programme. In my defense I can only say that I have used Gramps, as downloaded, successfully to keep my records for a number of years but I appreciate as I now want to produce some charts I may need to improve my understanding.

I did look to see if I could 'copy' from the Pedigree Chart generated on screen by the 'charts' sidebar icon but could not find a way.

Thank you for trying to assist.

Tim

On 30/06/2020 17:49, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

Tim,

I mostly use Gramps for research tracking. My sharing has mostly been through eMail rather than hardcopy. I see what you mean about the Text sizes being hard to control. In most of the experiments tried for this reply, it wasn't possible to zoom into the PDF far enough to even read the text in ANY box. (There have been some murmurings that this was an oddity of the Windows graphics library.) Hopefully, one of the persons who wrote the reports (or uses them regularly) can talk about controlling the scaling of printed elements.

As to Gramplets, the Pedigree Gramplet is a built-in feature. So we can bypass the whole download & installation of 3rd party add-ons.

Enable the Gramplet sidebar in the Relationships view

Then add the Pedigree Gramplet from the drop-down menu (click the down arrowhead button on Gramplet menu bar)

(You can click the Configure toolbar button to change the number of generations shown or how dates are displayed.)

Right-click in the pedigree Gramplet (but NOT on a hyperlink) to choose 'Select All' from the pop-up contextual menu. And again, to choose 'Copy' ... the typical Ctrl-C keybinding tends to invoke the internal Gramps clipboard.

Paste the data into a word processor. Change the font to a non-proportional (like Courier) so the generations align. You'll have to compress the paragraph leading to make the character based line drawing connect. (In MS Word, I saved this formatting as a 'style' in my master stylesheet. It allows this Pedigree formatting to be reapplied in a single step.)

-Brian

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 14:16, Tim via Gramps-users

[...]

Thank you again for your patience and clear instructions.

I was able to get the Pedigree Gramplet from the drop down as you described. I did not find the Configuration Tool bar (I did read the Wiki link) but I don't think this affected the end result too much!

I succeeded in the copy and paste action as directed. I pasted into LibreOffice WP. This reproduced the  information as laid out in the Gramplet, not the Graphic as displayed in the Charts View (this is not a criticism but rather a check that I got the display as intended).

In the WP view I edited spacing and positioned the individual records, as far as possible, in the layout used in the Pedigree Chart view. A bit of colour coding of the names by generation  and I have a reasonably presentable Pedigree chart on one page.

I think it will take me some time and learning to save the formatting in LibreOffice as a style (if it is possible). But as that is not a subject for this forum I think you have succeeded in getting me what I asked for and thus I should mark this resolved.

Before signing off and for my peace of mind is the configuration toolbar staring me in the face?

Thank you again for the assistance and the clear for the novice directions, much appreciated

Tim

PS I have replied to the 'List' as I saw a correspondent in another email string being roasted for replying direct to the one providing guidance. Is the correct protocol to reply to both? T

On 02/07/2020 15:48, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

Yep, replying to the list lets everyone see which replies are useful. Occasional private exchanges should be limited to where it is necessary to include sensitive info.

Hopefully, the Configure IS "staring you in the face"... it should be if you have the toolbar enabled. (From the View menu.) The Configure is an icon on that Toolbar. (If you download and install the Themes 3rd party add-on, you would have a new Preferences tab that adds labels to the icons in the toolbar.)

The following section of the manual shows what the 'Configure' icon looks like on the toolbar. It also shows the menu equivalent & links to the keybinding hotkey table.

The dialog will have a Tab for the main View plus tabs for each active Gramplet that has configuration options.

-Brian

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:48, Tim via Gramps-users

Re: Query. Print Pedigree chart on one A4 page.

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

Thank you, Checked out the Configure icon.

I think that completes my tutorial with all questions answered.

Much appreciated

Tim