Question Regarding Place Names

Dave Gilmore
Hey all,

I am going back and forth on how to name businesses, churches,
cemeteries, schools, etc and I wanted some opinions. I know there is no
set rule.

If you have a church names "Williamsport UMC" that is at 1234 Church
Street in the village of Williamsport, do you create a place for that
location called "Williamsport UMC" enclosed by Williamsport (village)?
Or do you make a location called Williamsport UMC (building), enclosed
by 1234 Church Street ( type ?), enclosd by Williamsport (village)?

The benefit to the first example is brevity in a report. But the
downside is if you give the report to someone, and the location has
changed, they won't know which one you are referencing. This problem is
solved by making two places - one being descriptive and one being the
street address. Also, the names associated with street addresses can
change. But, this almost seems like doing double the work by making a
second place just so you can have a description.

How do you all handle this kind of place naming?

Dave

---

Re: Question Regarding Place Names

StoltHD
I actually make 2 different hierarchies for that, one for the clerical districts and one for the administrative district (where I have the street names),

Then I register the church as a church (custom) or building, enclosed_by in the clerical district it belong to, and the same to the administrative district,  enclosed_by the street, and I give it an alternative name with full street address...
the dates I register for the different names is related to when the building was buildt, when the road was made/named and so on...

That way I can also register all the district changes done both clerical and administrative over time... It might be overkill for most things, but I'm also interested in the history of the places I have ancestors related to... and this way I can register historical facts on all of the different levels...

This is one of the really great things about Gramps, you can actually have places related to different hierarchies with dates and anything else that I find...

tor. 15. aug. 2019 kl. 19:30 skrev Dave Gilmore <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Peter Merchant
On 15/08/2019 18:10, Dave Gilmore wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am going back and forth on how to name businesses, churches, cemeteries, schools, etc and I wanted some opinions. I know there is no set rule.
>
> If you have a church names "Williamsport UMC" that is at 1234 Church Street in the village of Williamsport, do you create a place for that location called "Williamsport UMC" enclosed by Williamsport (village)? Or do you make a location called Williamsport UMC (building), enclosed by 1234 Church Street ( type ?), enclosd by Williamsport (village)?
>
> The benefit to the first example is brevity in a report. But the downside is if you give the report to someone, and the location has changed, they won't know which one you are referencing. This problem is solved by making two places - one being descriptive and one being the street address. Also, the names associated with street addresses can change. But, this almost seems like doing double the work by making a second place just so you can have a description.
>
> How do you all handle this kind of place naming?
>
> Dave

I am a bit crude in this respect. I have a place type of 'Church' which you can create yourself, enclosed by 1234 church St. enclosed by Williamsport (Type Village) etc.

In Bury vicinity, Lancashire, England there are quite a few St. Mary's churches, which makes for some fun.

Peter M.

Re: Question Regarding Place Names

Dave,

This is slightly outside your question.

An over-arching consideration is that only the Latitude/Longitude of the most deeply enclosed place granularity is referenced for plotting events in the Geography view.

So, if you did enclose ( Building, Street, Village, County, State, Nation) and the Latitude & Longitude weren't input for building (even thought it had for village, county, state & nation) then events at that Building will not be plotted on any maps.

Missing Lat/Long is not approximated from the nearest enclosing region that HAS been defined. The Event is simply omitted from the map plot.

I use this argument to justify using the description for deepest enclosing levels. Once there are enough References to be worth adding more granular enclosure levels.

As an example, I might have no more than 5 events across several people in one continent. So all those Events have the Place set to the continent while the description has the city, province, & nation detail. That continent is statistically insignificant to my research.

-Brian

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:32, Dave Gilmore

On 8/15/19 2:15 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:

> On 15/08/2019 18:10, Dave Gilmore wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am going back and forth on how to name businesses, churches, cemeteries, schools, etc and I wanted some opinions. I know there is no set rule.
>>
>> If you have a church names "Williamsport UMC" that is at 1234 Church Street in the village of Williamsport, do you create a place for that location called "Williamsport UMC" enclosed by Williamsport (village)? Or do you make a location called Williamsport UMC (building), enclosed by 1234 Church Street ( type ?), enclosd by Williamsport (village)?
>>
>> The benefit to the first example is brevity in a report. But the downside is if you give the report to someone, and the location has changed, they won't know which one you are referencing. This problem is solved by making two places - one being descriptive and one being the street address. Also, the names associated with street addresses can change. But, this almost seems like doing double the work by making a second place just so you can have a description.
>>
>> How do you all handle this kind of place naming?
>>
>> Dave
>>
> I am a bit crude in this respect. I have a place type of 'Church' which you can create yourself, enclosed by 1234 church St. enclosed by Williamsport (Type Village) etc.

This is how I do it, too.

Re: Question Regarding Place Names

This is my method.

I create the locality (Church, Building, Cemetery, Hospital, etc)
under the hierarchy … City, Street, Number with an enclosed by date
"after 1899". I then put an additional Enclosed By directly to the
City with no date restriction.

I picked "after 1899' because that is when actual street addresses
were more commonly used in documentation (in documentation I am
finding). If for some reason another date would be more appropriate I
use that date.

So the display becomes... City Hospital, 123 Main Street, City,
County, State, USA if the event date is after 1899 but City Hospital,
City, County, State, USA if the date is before 1900 or if there is no
date for the event.

Dave

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM Dave Gilmore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am going back and forth on how to name businesses, churches,
> cemeteries, schools, etc and I wanted some opinions. I know there is no
> set rule.
>
> If you have a church names "Williamsport UMC" that is at 1234 Church
> Street in the village of Williamsport, do you create a place for that
> location called "Williamsport UMC" enclosed by Williamsport (village)?
> Or do you make a location called Williamsport UMC (building), enclosed
> by 1234 Church Street ( type ?), enclosd by Williamsport (village)?
>
> The benefit to the first example is brevity in a report. But the
> downside is if you give the report to someone, and the location has
> changed, they won't know which one you are referencing. This problem is
> solved by making two places - one being descriptive and one being the
> street address. Also, the names associated with street addresses can
> change. But, this almost seems like doing double the work by making a
> second place just so you can have a description.
>
> How do you all handle this kind of place naming?
>
> Dave
>

> ---

Search photso in directory of Audiovisualmedia

Pamies info

Hietc.

when from an individual registration screen, I want to look for a specific picture, in the directory where I have put the photos, audiovisual media, I have to do a manual scroll in the list for all the photos that I have ordered. Do not see the option to find a specific photo easly. Any advice?

Thanks

Ramon

SOLVED : Search photos in directory of Audiovisualmedia

Pamies info

Solved.

Assumpte: Search photso in directory of Audiovisualmedia