Question on Adoption and name change

Leslie Jensen

I have a person who's married twice with children in both marriages. But
when I try to add this person as parent his first spouse follows him.
How do I handle this?

One of the above persons children is later adopted and gets a different
lastname, I would like to make it very clear that john xxxx later is
John yyyy, the same person.

I would appreciate suggestions, thank you.

Leslie

Re: Question on Adoption and name change

Duncan Lithgow
Leslie Jensen wrote:

> I have a person who's married twice with children in both marriages.
> But when I try to add this person as parent his first spouse follows
> him. How do I handle this?
>
> One of the above persons children is later adopted and gets a
> different lastname, I would like to make it very clear that john xxxx
> later is John yyyy, the same person.
>
> I would appreciate suggestions, thank you.

Have a look at Edit > Compare and Merge... that might be what you need.

Duncan

Leslie Jensen wrote:

> I have a person who's married twice with children in both marriages.
> But when I try to add this person as parent his first spouse follows
> him. How do I handle this?
>
> One of the above persons children is later adopted and gets a
> different lastname, I would like to make it very clear that john xxxx
> later is John yyyy, the same person.

Question 2 I answered off list.

I think a solution to question 1 is to double click on the spouse he has
divorced and add the event 'divorce' to their 'Marriage/relationships
editor'. Then go back and add the new partner/spouse. Depending on which
spouse is selected you should be able to add and remove children until
it works.

hope that helps

Duncan

Re: Question on Adoption and name change

Duncan Lithgow
When replying to emails from the list please press 'Reply-All' so that
your message also gets sent to the list, not just the person who wrote
what you're reading.

> Are the database constructed so that when I add dates for these
> marriages the corresponding information, children, etc. will be connected?

Don't know, try it and see! You might want to work on a copy of the
database to be safe.

> From what I've seen and tried, a persons registerd dead does not
> terminate this persons marriage and register the spouse as widow from
> the same date.
> Am I wishing to much?

Maybe, I don't think what you've asked for above is something you can
expect from a stateless program - ie. it doesn't work from a specific date.

Hope you're having fun getting used to gramps - I've found it quite odd
in places and hard to get used to. Takes some time.

Duncan

Re: Question on Adoption and name change

Lynn67
Is your mother's name Diane?