Question pertaining to Gramps'pedigree view.

Question pertaining to Gramps'pedigree view.

John W. Kitz-3

All,

When a brother and a sister become a husband and wife in the next generation and a son and daughter of their respective marriages marry and end up having at least one child (and I'm not referring to John Mayer's song 'Daughters' here, or at least not intentionally), in the pedigree view Gramps shows the marriage of the parents of the initial brother and sister twice, once in both the paternal and once in the maternal branch of the tree of the most recent child. Since I think once would suffice, would make more sense as well as better represent the relationship between the individuals involved, is there a way to make Gramps show the marriage once instead of twice, provided it is shown centered between the initial brother and sister?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Question pertaining to Gramps'pedigree view.

meikamona
I have a first cousin age about 3g's back and this would surely be handy to help explain it.

Seems to be a common lack in software for genealogy sofware. Considering we all go back to a  limited pool of people I would've considered it a criterion in the initial design...

meika

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:21 AM John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

When a brother and a sister become a husband and wife in the next generation and a son and daughter of their respective marriages marry and end up having at least one child (and I'm not referring to John Mayer's song 'Daughters' here, or at least not intentionally), in the pedigree view Gramps shows the marriage of the parents of the initial brother and sister twice, once in both the paternal and once in the maternal branch of the tree of the most recent child. Since I think once would suffice, would make more sense as well as better represent the relationship between the individuals involved, is there a way to make Gramps show the marriage once instead of twice, provided it is shown centered between the initial brother and sister?

Regards, Jk.

Re: Question pertaining to Gramps'pedigree view.

Dave Scheipers
I do not see this as a major issue. The view is a visual cue and a way
to navigate the database.

If you were to not include the duplicated line, you would then need to
add a way to 'jump' over to the line being traced.

The printed reports (at least some) do allow for truncating duplicate
lines. I do not use them enough to be able to list them. I rarely if
ever print out these types of reports.

I would ask the developers to work on other areas of gramps long
before making this an issue. It's not broke and shows our trees go
back in time.

Regards, Dave

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:26 PM, meika loofs samorzewski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a first cousin age about 3g's back and this would surely be handy to
> help explain it.
>
> Seems to be a common lack in software for genealogy sofware. Considering we
> all go back to a  limited pool of people I would've considered it a
> criterion in the initial design...
>
> meika
>

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:21 AM John W. Kitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>

>> When a brother and a sister become a husband and wife in the next
>> generation and a son and daughter of their respective marriages marry and
>> end up having at least one child (and I'm not referring to John Mayer's song
>> 'Daughters' here, or at least not intentionally), in the pedigree view
>> Gramps shows the marriage of the parents of the initial brother and sister
>> twice, once in both the paternal and once in the maternal branch of the tree
>> of the most recent child. Since I think once would suffice, would make more
>> sense as well as better represent the relationship between the individuals
>> involved, is there a way to make Gramps show the marriage once instead of
>> twice, provided it is shown centered between the initial brother and sister?
>>

>> Regards, Jk.

Re: Question pertaining to Gramps'pedigree view.

John W. Kitz-3

Sam,

Resend without attachments to allow it to be passed onto the list.

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately for some reason MantisBT doesn't allow me to update the ticket you've sent me the link to, so please find attached to this email two .jpg files. The first one shows how Gramps currently depicts the situation that I described, the second one, that I made by editing the first one, shows how I expected Gramps to depict the situation in pedigree view. Maybe you can add them to the ticket as they may provide some ideas to the developers to work off of.

Meika, Dave,

Thanks for your respective thoughts on this.

Regards, Jk.