Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

John W. Kitz
Hi,

As a fairly new user of Gramps I was wondering; I downloaded and installed
the 64-bit version of the software, yet why is it that the help -> about
dialog displays the following information:

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 <====
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: win32 <====
I'm particularly interested in the meaning of "win32" behind "OS:" (see
bottom arrow) and how it relates to it being the 64-bit version of the
software (see top arrow).

Regards, Jk.

Re: Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

Nick Hall
On 06/01/17 22:04, John W. Kitz wrote:

> As a fairly new user of Gramps I was wondering; I downloaded and installed
> the 64-bit version of the software, yet why is it that the help -> about
> dialog displays the following information:
>
> GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 <====
> Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov  1 2016, 01:48:05)  ...
> BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
> LANG: en_US.UTF-8
> OS: win32 <====
> I'm particularly interested in the meaning of "win32" behind "OS:" (see
> bottom arrow) and how it relates to it being the 64-bit version of the
> software (see top arrow).

It will show "win32" for all Windows versions.  See:

https://docs.python.org/3/library/sys.html#sys.platform

Re: Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Fwd: Re: Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

John W. Kitz
Nick,

On 2017-01-07 00:16, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 06/01/17 22:59, John W. Kitz wrote:
>
>>> It will show "win32" for all Windows versions.  See:
>>>
>>> https://docs.python.org/3/library/sys.html#sys.platform
>>
>> Looking at your reply I guess at some point the documentation you're
>> referring to in your answer might read: "Changed in version x.y: On
>> Windows, sys.platform doesn’t contain the major version anymore.
>> It is always 'windows', instead of 'win32' or 'win??'."
>>
>> In the meantime thanks for satisfying my curiosity by means of your
>> very prompt reply.
>
> The platform module would probably give more information if we needed
> it:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/platform.html
>
> However, very little code is actually platform dependent.

I was kind of jokingly eluding to the fact that the documentation you
referred to in your first answer currently states: "(...) Changed in
version 3.3: On Linux, sys.platform doesn’t contain the major version
anymore. It is always 'linux', instead of 'linux2' or 'linux3'. (...)"

Thanks again, Jk.

Re: Fwd: Re: Question regarding Gramps 'about' information.

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:24:04 +0100
"John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello John,

>anymore. It is always 'linux', instead of 'linux2' or 'linux3'. (...)"

Because there's no such thing as version numbers for Linux.

--
 Regards  _
Did you do it for fame, did you do it in a fit?

On 01/07/2017 08:49 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 15:24:04 +0100
> "John W. Kitz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello John,
>
>> anymore. It is always 'linux', instead of 'linux2' or 'linux3'. (...)"
> Because there's no such thing as version numbers for Linux.

???  There most certainly are.