Question regarding recording of Godfather/-mother

Question regarding recording of Godfather/-mother

Christian Möller-2
Hello,

I'm looking for a possibility to record Godfather/-mother with GRAMPS.
Looking around on the wiki I found the following page:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_godfather-godmother

It explains two ways to record this information, but the second one
called "Add all participants and attendees to the baptism" does not work
with my Windows installation of GRAMPS 3.0.4 cause the recommended role
"godfather/-mother" does not exist.

It would be no pain to add such a role, but is this recommended in the
light of support of godfather/-mother via association tab (the first way
explained in the wiki)?

Regards

Christian

Re: Question regarding recording of Godfather/-mother

Douglas S. Blank
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a possibility to record Godfather/-mother with GRAMPS.
> Looking around on the wiki I found the following page:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_godfather-godmother
>
> It explains two ways to record this information, but the second one
> called "Add all participants and attendees to the baptism" does not work
> with my Windows installation of GRAMPS 3.0.4 cause the recommended role
> "godfather/-mother" does not exist.
>
> It would be no pain to add such a role, but is this recommended in the
> light of support of godfather/-mother via association tab (the first way
> explained in the wiki)?

Christian,

You only need to type "Godfather" as the role. It will then appear
thereafter in the list of choices, so you only need to type it once.

Does that help?

-Doug

Douglas S. Blank schrieb:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking for a possibility to record Godfather/-mother with GRAMPS.
>> Looking around on the wiki I found the following page:
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Add_a_godfather-godmother
>>
>> It explains two ways to record this information, but the second one
>> called "Add all participants and attendees to the baptism" does not work
>> with my Windows installation of GRAMPS 3.0.4 cause the recommended role
>> "godfather/-mother" does not exist.
>>
>> It would be no pain to add such a role, but is this recommended in the
>> light of support of godfather/-mother via association tab (the first way
>> explained in the wiki)?
>
> Christian,
>
> You only need to type "Godfather" as the role. It will then appear
> thereafter in the list of choices, so you only need to type it once.

Hi Douglas,

first of all thanks for your immediate reply.
Yes, I've recognized and used this feature - for example to record
godfathers/-mothers :-)

> Does that help?

Hmm, not really, but maybe I've expressed my question not as clear as
necessary :-)

As I said, I've done it the way you mentioned. But is this the
*recommended* or *intended* (from the view of the minds behind GRAMPS)
way to record this kind of information? Recording godfathers is
supported "natively" via association tab, so why not using it? What are
the benefits or drawbacks of each method? Maybe I will loose this data
while exporting the database to GEDCOM using one of the methods?

To give an example: I've already recognized missing a proper translation
of self-made event record types like "godfather" ("Taufpate" in german)
when switching to another language/platform - for obvious reasons, cause
providing an appropriate translation would be my job, too.

Regards

Christian